Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oakleaves-S.jpg

SR

That's why they sell all that junk, they know we'll buy it like candy in a machine :sweet:, then before you know it, they own us :nofunny:. One dollar at a time, "death by a thousand cuts" anyone know where that comes from, and no I'm not talking about a Taylor swift song 🤮.
I've been saying this since the mid 90's, unless something changes soon, I won't be able to say it anymore...
Well there's not really any changing it unless we all decide to work for 50% less. In another decade or two we'll reach equilibrium. They'll modernize to a point where their prices are no longer so competitive. Just like we did. Wonder who's next in line to start making all the cheap bottom barrel stuff? India? Africa perhaps?

Need some help on this guys.
So I've been trying to figure out for a while now, what type of oaks I have here at the house. Tonight when splitting, I found them quite noticeably different.
Not sure, but guessing the more red one is red oak (right piece), and the smoother thin bark and darker color is black oak?
View attachment 1165721
Here's a piece of the stuff on the left from the bark side, nearly looks like maple.

Same piece flipped over.
Looks like left is some sort of white oak and right is red oak. Might be northern red oak or something like that.

Well there's not really any changing it unless we all decide to work for 50% less. In another decade or two we'll reach equilibrium. They'll modernize to a point where their prices are no longer so competitive. Just like we did. Wonder who's next in line to start making all the cheap bottom barrel stuff? India? Africa perhaps?
You sure about that. Even if we did have to work for less for a short time to turn things around, the payoff would be better than our downfall.
Looks like left is some sort of white oak and right is red oak. Might be northern red oak or something like that.
Not white oak for sure, I have some of those and they are way different.

Cut up the logs at the neighbor's property from the road widening project. She was very happy to have them gone as she thought they were an eyesore. I'm in it just to help people: that's what I do. ;) I have to admit that they do look much better as part of my firewood stacks. Had Thing 2 helping and didn't take quality time away by stopping for pics. This might be 2/3 of it. Hollow cherry, but lots of it still pretty solid.20240329_191813.jpg

Cut up the logs at the neighbor's prefrontal from the road widening project. She was very happy to have them gone as she thought they were an eyesore. I'm in it just to help people: that's what I do. ;) I have to admit that they do look much better as part of my firewood stacks. Had Thing 2 helping and didn't take quality time away by stopping for pics. This might be 2/3 of it. Hollow cherry, but lots of it still pretty solid.View attachment 1165724
Good on you for helping out :cheers:.

Honestly, I felt guilty for buying the Predator engine. I've been looking for a used Honda but everyone wants a mint for clean ones and the cheaper ones look like they have about 5000 hours on 'em. It became a matter of convenience, unfortunately.
Don't feel bad, they are good engine at a reasonable price. Honda, kohler and even Briggs have about priced themselves stupid anymore. Parts are stupid money too. We've more or less been driven to this stuff as affordable options vs the og stuff we had years ago

they are good engine at a reasonable price.
I won't disagree that many of them are decent engines; but they aren't priced reasonable, they are priced cheap, and there's a reason for that.
If I only had the money, I could have a cool set of wheels too...
All you need to do is buy a sweet truck, then put a wrap on it advertising your business and you'll at least get to write off something on your taxes.
Small print, I'm not a tax guy, so please talk to our resident tax guy for accurate tax advice. But heck, in the scrounge thread everyone can be whatever they want, so just do it, it will be okay :laugh:.

I won't disagree that many of them are decent engines; but they aren't priced reasonable, they are priced cheap, and there's a reason for that.
Cheap ? I don’t think that, they are on par with GM crate engines . But with a much better warranty and customer support . The block and heads are made in the US as is the intake . Believe the only imported part is the distributor and maybe the cam .

With the power #s you got I was thinking it was "enlarged". That is very impressive.
They get excellent results power wise on all their engines . I was looking at the 383 stroker motor but didn’t need over 400 hp . Just wanted a good all around work motor .

Back