Self propelled splitter build --update August 15 with video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20150710_094036.jpg
I notched the beam All the way thru for the knife.

IMG_20150715_134701.jpg
Orginally I was going to use a moveable knife, but decided to just build a permanent four way.

IMG_20150710_094046.jpg
I know some may not agree with my logic but I used a 20 Inch cylinder. I generally cut my wood 18 inches and just couldn't see any reason for a 24 inch cylinder.

Biggest problem I'm having now is the sheer strength of this setup. I boxed the end of my beam to eliminate twist but on knarly pieces the entire beam wants to bend down. Next step will be to add a piece if 3/4 by 4 inch flat bar on bottom of beam.
this will give me considerable strength and also give me a place to anchor my cylinder for the log lift table. Also I'm going to get the gauges out and see what actually pressures are and set them accordingly. hopefully I will have lift table built in next several days and test it out .then Tear it all back down for sanding, priming and painting.

Getting closer to the finish. We rattle can painted it to keep everything from rusting. If everything works out after a couple days of splitting then a trip to tractor supply for a paint and a good sandblasting will make it look really good0806151355a.jpg
Luckily I have a dad that's a genius with steel and fabricating.the log lift he built is basically Idiot (Me) proof.He built it heavy enough that I shouldn't be able to bend it or tear it off 0806151355b.jpg

Looks awesome!
What color are you thinking?
I'm not sure yet. I thought about Deere green or maybe Red. My dad wants to go back with the yellow that's on it.

I pulled a pure knuckle head move on my splitter that is turning out to be a headache. As I mentioned earlier ,the engine came from a donor Kubota mower that was still being used on a weekly basis So reliability was never an issue. The compactor however, had been sitting for several years when I started the build back in may.

I drained the tank and added new fuel not thinking to check inside of tank. until today I haven't run the engine/splitter for any length of time .
This morning I filled it with fuel intending to use it for several hours. After about an hour of run time the motor developed a miss. Upon inspection my filter was full of rust and I think I have plugged one of my injectors up.

Tomorrow I plan to take the fuel system apart and see what damages I have caused.I checked the filter today and it had quite a bit of sediment in it,hopefully it hasn't messed up the injector pump or injectors.

Finally have the kinks worked out,, ran for a couple hours today and I am pleased with the results. I think I'm going to hold off on the paint until this winter
when I will have more time. At this point I'm tired of working on the splitter and want to run some wood thru it.
Had a friend post a couple of vids on you tube, the first one he flipped and messed things up.
We made another that will basically give you and Idea of how it works.

That's awesome. Looks like it runs good and has good hydraulic speed! Is that running at an idle?

That's awesome. Looks like it runs good and has good hydraulic speed! Is that running at an idle?
In the video I'm running it about just under half throttle,, one issue I need to deal with is my exhaust. It exits under the splitter on lift table side .while its not bad the exhaust fumes become annoying. I would like to find a tractor style exhaust manifold where I can point exhaust up and away from the operator

Finally have the kinks worked out,, ran for a couple hours today and I am pleased with the results. I think I'm going to hold off on the paint until this winter
when I will have more time. At this point I'm tired of working on the splitter and want to run some wood thru it.
Had a friend post a couple of vids on you tube, the first one he flipped and messed things up.
We made another that will basically give you and Idea of how it works.

That is one of the coolest splitters I have seen on AS.

This certainly an awesome machine ......... I'd really really like to know who's idea it was to have the anvil move rather than the wedge ...seems to me like a real hassle to pick wood up of the ground again to resplit when the anvil pushes it past the wedge an onto the ground ...... that'd work OK if all of your rings were single split . .but we all know that ain't real life.

The frames are 4x4 and 30" deep. 1st ones were made using a brick skid for the bottom to save some money. 2nd batch were made with framing lumber bottoms. Worked out to $33 Can for each one using framing lumber. I figure I can get a few years out of them. Well except for the ones I broke being rough with my tractor.
1st pic is inside my barn. 2nd pic is the "building" around my owb. 3rd is inside of "building".
IMG_00001947.jpg IMG_00002240.jpg IMG_00002244.jpg

loadthestove, I'm working on my 36" splitter and have a single wedge on it. I was planning on a removable 4way wedge on it but like you I think the welded one is much easier to do. Does it work ok or would you rather have it removable or maybe even higher for bigger splits?

Back