Selling 2 of 3. Which two?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIslxer

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looking for some opinions and recommendations!

Jonsered 2245 @ 2.8hp/10.8lbs
Shindaiwa 377 @ 2.5hp/9lbs
Stihl MS180c @ 2.0hp/9.3lbs

I'm planning on selling two out of three of these so I can finance most of the cost of a local used 2171/372xp/441 but I want to keep one good "small' saw for limbing and whatever.

FWIW on the Stihl I removed the crappy tool-less chain tensioner with a traditional tensioner and and nice two-bar-nut style bar cover. Jonsered is the newest and was initially what I thought I wanted to keep but at 10.8 lbs it really isn't a "small" saw compared to my 11.9lb, 3.9hp 5105 and maybe can't justify itself in my stable plus I think it would fetch the highest price.

The Shindy has a nice new oregon bar and chain again fwiw.

The Jonsered is really hardly used. My uncle bought it new and almost never used it - the logo on the original bar is nearly perfect.

Dealer support is irrelevant and the other three saws I own are bigger Dolmars and a Husqvarna so brand loyalty and interchangeability of parts don't factor for me and I do have a dealer who can get parts for all three locally.

There is some sentimentality to the stihl - my dad gave it to me - and there is a little 'cool and rare' factor to the Shindy which I admit I kinda like.

And oh yeah, any interest in any of those three?

Thanks

you have a 5105 as your midrange saw.. sell them all for a good 70 cc saw. it all goes back to what you cut.. only reason for a small ish saw would be Big yard full of tree's and lots of small limb clean ups. orchard work Younger Small frame help... You health or your age I assume your in pretty good shape wanting a 70cc saw ..
Keep the one you or your help like's

Why don't you list the other big saws you own so we can see an overall picture of you power range. Because you already got a response to sell all three and get a 70cc saw, which you may own already out of the 3 big ones you have.

2245 is 2009 so it is not a tool-less. Husky you raise a valid point. I could off-load all three and have enough for a used 372xp right now. I do feel like I would regret not having one little kick around saw, however.

And harley the more I look at these things the more I'm leaning your way in terms of keeping the shindy if I do keep one. Metal case, adjustable carb....... It's growing on me vs the other two. Plus I got it for $30 and it runs and cuts great!

My saws are in my sig or at least I can see em there. 5105 and 7900 basically. L65 is currently inop. I mostly want a backup big saw that could potentially see a decent amount of time in a homemade firewood processor I'm drawing up. I'd like to keep the 7900 clear of that task. Between the load I get delivered and what I fell and/or haul/carry out of the woods I typically cut 15+ cords a year. A lot of it is big oak.

Little better understanding Helps.. I see what your trying for and the 70 cc saw will do more faster Good back up for you..

Your probably not cutting the smaller stuff to time consuming for a processor as you mention big oaks big saw great for bucking match bar to job
But if you have to cut and clean up the mess lots of stuff around 5" I'd keep the shinny for that. lighter saw is better for that work

Latest posts

Back