Selling Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to sell my Troy built 27 ton splitter and upgrade to something with a log lift and I would like some help on asking price; Bought new in '08 and have split maybe 20 cords tops, thinking around $1000, what do you guys think.
Thanks

Hard to tell without pictures..but 1000 for a 4 year old machine may get people offering you 700-800 bucks. Well; that's what I'd offer you to start "negotiations". Plus i'd be running the engine, checking the color of the oil, looking for gouges int he piston, gouges and play in the wedge..etc etc etc.

If you're looking for a grand go with 1200 for some bargaining room.

22 ton from TSC can be had for $900 when they go on sale, you'd have a tough time convincing me yours is worth more than that.

22 ton from TSC can be had for $900 when they go on sale, you'd have a tough time convincing me yours is worth more than that.

I was'nt asking you to buy it, just looking for input, not everyone wants a splitter with a Briggs and stratton, some prefer a Honda and don't mind spending the money.

Seems kinda steep for a used big box store splitter. Remember its a used peice of equipment unless it brand new not a scratch on it. You can buy a new 22 ton speedco at TSC for $1000-1100 cant you. Maybe Im wrong maybe seems kinda steep for a used splitter with known issues that can be catstrophic when and if things go wrong Just my thoughts

I was'nt asking you to buy it, just looking for input, not everyone wants a splitter with a Briggs and stratton, some prefer a Honda and don't mind spending the money.

Kinda seems as if I gave input, I used a well known, readily available splitter, that is sold with a warranty, as a benchmark to compare yours to. But, your response leads me to believe that you have already made up your mind that your 4 years used splitter is worth $1000 and anyone who disagrees with you must be a fool. Just because I didn't give the input you wanted, doesn't mean that a valid point was not made. If you really want to know the value of said splitter put an ad on Craigslist and let a local consumer come along and tell you the value by the number of Ben Franklins they will pull out of their wallet.

Also, please explain in detail what makes the consumer grade Honda GC engine better than a Briggs & Stratton? Better practice now if that is going to be your big selling point when someone answers that Craigslist ad.

Just sayin'.

I bought a 1 year old 27 ton Troy Built splitter 2 years ago for $800. It was used to split 2 cords before I bought it, and it was stored inside. Honda motor.

Thanks, that's what I'll be happy with, it all ready paid for it self, I went from spending $700 - $800 a month in oil to $1000 a year to heat my water only

Hard to tell without pictures..but 1000 for a 4 year old machine may get people offering you 700-800 bucks. Well; that's what I'd offer you to start "negotiations". Plus i'd be running the engine, checking the color of the oil, looking for gouges int he piston, gouges and play in the wedge..etc etc etc.

Thanks for your help.

I sold my TB splitter last fall for $800, and wished I had listed it on Craiglist for more. I literally had my choice of buyers. It matters little that you can get a much better machine for $200 more, it seems that many folks have no idea or dont do a lot of shopping around. They go by the price only.

I washed the unit up and took a rattle can to the beam to make it look nice. Changed the engine oil, stuck a new hydro filter on it, and sprayed some Armorall on the plastic and tires to give em some shine. Within 4 hours of my ad hitting Craigslist, I had two calls, and the guy who bought it drove 70 miles to get it. When I told him I had a local guy that was coming out that evening to look at it, he left work on the spot and was at my place within two hours.

All he wanted to see was if it ran, and if it split wood. I fired the engine up and stuck a round of oak on it, and after the chunks hit the ground he pulled out his wallet.

Price all boils down to several things. What some one is willing to pay, what you are wanting out of the thing, and how fast you want to move it. Ask a hundred bucks less than what a new one costs will probably mean you will sit on it for awhile, but eventually someone that has no clue will come along and part with the cash.

If you want $1000, price it at 950 just like the stores .99 sounds a hell of a lot less than $1. All buyers want to haggle, but if you are stuck on that price act nonchalant about the whole deal and just tell the buyer that you have had to many calls to do any ####ering on the deal, but offer to fill the back of his truck with unsplit rounds to get him started on his wood supply. When you think about it, a pickup load of rounds aint worth anything, but it will be enough to push a buyer into yanking out his wallet.

What do I think?

I think it depends on where you live, and 8 acres don't tell me much. Maybe around some metropolitan area it would sell for $1000.oo, but not where I live. A four-year-old piece of power equipment out here in fly-over country... $500.oo, maybe $600.oo tops. The exception might be at a farm auction... get a bunch of tobacco spittin', bib overall wearin' farmers together at a farm auction and common sense seems to fly out the window. Some of those ol' boys will pay more than the price of new at auction... never have been able to figure that one out. Those ol' boys will even buy things they have no need for. But you also take the chance of only getting $100.oo at auction if it's a slow day.

Anyway, if I was trying to buy it from you (and I'm not), I'd probably offer $300.oo to start... and try and buy it for something under $500.oo. If I couldn't get it for less than $500.oo I'd walk. Out here, talking used, a four-year-old piece of power equipment may as well be ten-years-old... it's just used power equipment.

Hey, you asked what we think... and that's what I think.

Here in NJ were everything is overprice you can pick the TB27 ton up from Lowes at the end of the season for $1200. but I have seen the used ones go anywhere from $400 to $800 but I have not seen any listed any higher then that. Of course this is why I bought the TSC 22ton after looking at the used one I just could not pass up the brand new one from TSC I picked it up for $950 with an extra 2 qts of 30wt synthetic and 2.5 gallons of hydro fluid and 0% for a year.

However with anything else there are plenty of people out there that will overpay not knowing any better so there is alway the chance you just might get the $1000.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, and my 8 acres is in upstate NY where everything is overpriced, but I am not looking to make money just looking for a fair price.

my 2 cents

I live in south east pa and before I bought my huskee I went to auction and saw 4 different splitters sell all were around the 20-27 ton range brave, craftsman,troy built and I forget the other one but they all went over $800 the last troy built I saw sold was about 2 mth ago and it went for $1050 splitters hold there value so I would start at $1000 and go from there. You can go down in price but it is real hard to go up.

Seems like a pia to do so, but I might be able to weld a gin pole on it and use a cable with a series of blocks and the ram to lift my rounds (good excuse to by a welding machine):msp_rolleyes:

Check out you-tube, plenty of good ideas. We did that and I emailed a link to a local fabricator, he took the idea and ran with it. $600.00 later we are lifting 3' oak rounds with and lov'n it.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Up grade

For a $150.00 you can put a winch on your splitter or for $250.00 you can build a table lift to pick your chunks up and a table to work off of. I prefer the winch myself.

I've owned a TB 27 ton for awhile, being four years old, here it would be lucky to bring 800.00, the Honda GC's motors are known to be a pos, I went thru two under warranty, have a 11 hp Briggs I/C and 16 gpm pump on mine now. I can go buy a Swisher 22 ton that will leave the TB in the dust for 950.00 on sale, have both and before modifications to the TB the Swisher would smoke it.
Get as much as you can, but don't pass the Honda GC China made pos off as a quality GX engine, the last replacement GC engine had a invoice in the box for 99.87, not exactly a high priced item. IMHO the greyhound or predator engine at HF is a better quality engine than the GC series. Price it at 1150.00 if you want a 1000.00, it is the peak of the season, you may get lucky.

Latest posts

Back