Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard for me to understand why more people don't learn I enjoy sharpening. But hey I will accept payment for something I enjoy

I do my neighbors for free. The ones that take me up on this hardly use their saws. And for those that do use their saws a bit more then hardly, they don't care if it is a little (or a lot) dull as long as it does cut.

It is hard for me to understand why more people don't learn I enjoy sharpening. But hey I will accept payment for something I enjoy

Good question. I think for many it is time. If a tree guy is making XX per hour or could save 1/4 of that by sharpening his own chains he is more likely to farm it out. Or for someone who is already stressed for time, they would rather just pay six or ten bucks then fiddle with sharpening. For others, its the learning curve. You are going to mess up a few before you get it right and some folks just don't want to take that risk.

Good question. I think for many it is time. If a tree guy is making XX per hour or could save 1/4 of that by sharpening his own chains he is more likely to farm it out. Or for someone who is already stressed for time, they would rather just pay six or ten bucks then fiddle with sharpening. For others, its the learning curve. You are going to mess up a few before you get it right and some folks just don't want to take that risk.
Grinding is easy if you look at it right.
Read a bunch.
Grind 2 chains. Just take a little. But different angle.

Take a pic and label the pic what you did.

Go cut with them side by side.

Which one you like??

Change the one you didn't like. Pics and labeling again.

Compare again.

2 chains and a few hours and you can learn a lot.

Sharpen with stone
6d66161ea27147d404a7a4aa4b693897.jpg
3933bb730aa5c7a9fb240a0778728abd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a hit and go sharpener but am trying to learn to do better. My skills are poor but I am convinced that good light and good eyesight (natural or aided) are essential - I don't have good lighting.

Hedge hog's posts got me to playing with the Iphone - amazing what you can see when it focuses. On one chain I noticed that all the right cutters had a tiny mashed corner - if sharpened just a little more it would be no more.

FWIW here are a few shots of two chains sharpened inside out with a TECOMEC with an undersized Dinosaw (labeled wrong and too late to exchange). As I said I hit them and go - maybe I should clean the chains first. Ron
IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2137.JPG IMG_2138.JPG IMG_2139.JPG IMG_2143.JPG IMG_2146.JPG

Looks great trick I use for radius is if you draw line from point straight down to chain . There should be a perfect 1/2 moon shape . If it's not the fix is the radius on wheel needs dressing or cleaning.
Woodblocker55

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

To my knowledge there is no way for a layman to dress a Dinosaw wheel - mine certainly isn't as round as I would like. Isn't even close to the roundness of a file. Ron

To my knowledge there is no way for a layman to dress a Dinosaw wheel - mine certainly isn't as round as I would like. Isn't even close to the roundness of a file. Ron
nice pics
first two looks to get a little warm on the tip second two look really good
I clean with old gas just to get the oil off , a 1 gallon bucket with a inch or 2 in the bottom and slosh around pull them out a blow them off with compressed air
and for being round I don't think it matters at all or the square ground chains shouldn't work as good as they do

Back