Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say the harder the wood is the greater the angle needs to be
Hedge is my main cutting wood and I could not tell any difference between
30 to 35. I stick with 30 . . .
I understand the opposite - for hard wood I would wat to try a 25 degree top plate angle.

Philbert

55 seem to cut faster but dulled fast but filed faster but tended to break on my big saw
The next time I rock a chain out I will try 20 degrees
Because I use 20 to take damaged part of the point of the cutter off with less heat because I'm not cutting the full length of the top plate
Then I come back 30 with only just a kiss to the point of the cutter and the tail of the top plate is getting ground
Works great
As for grinders they are all good as the operators
And lighting is best friend
If it wasn't for the contract to sharpen the .404 205 DL I don't know what brand of grinder I would be using but I would have one
And CBN is a no brainer now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow 205 DL is a lot to sharpen lol....

I believe the "more" angle that you put on the top plate ie; anything higher than 30, puts more stress on the cutters point....That may be why the cutter broke on your chain, I know how hard hedge is I cut it fairly regularly....man that stuff dulls a chain fast....

I bet the reason Oregon calls for a 25 degree top plate on their full chisel chain is because the 10 degree tilt puts so much of a point on the cutter....they want that 25 degree top plate to "strengthen" out the point some....

If I get around to it I will grind a Stihl chisel chain 25-55-0.....or if I do an Oregon chain I will go 20-55-10.....that would mean that I would be putting 5 less degrees of angle on the chain...who knows maybe the chain will hold up a little bit longer....I will post pics if I get around to doing it....

Wow when I re-read this it really makes me sound like a chain obsessed nerd LOL....I just hope someone else can understand what I have wrote LMAO!!!!

Oh and @hedge hog i meant to ask you.....since you cut a lot of Osage, do you use semi-chisel or full-chisel chain.....when I know I am going to be cutting a lot of it I always grab the Stihl RM(semi-chisel)......seems to last a decent amount of time, considering how darn hard the wood is....

It is becoming apparent to me that more than a few folks love their chain grinders even though a very cost effective optional system exists. If my camera could take some good close up pictures my chain pictures would be included. A camera upgrade will be in order ASAP. From what the grinders and sharpened chains pictures are showing it is clear that for most part the factory grind and machine ground chain are working fine. So what is not to like. I started sharpening my chains when I was 14 because there was no other option. My father did not know how to use a saw and was not available often so it was up to me to figure out how to sharpen a chain. By trial and error my filing system kept improving over the years. A dealer friend of mine showed me a guide to sharpening chain and it appeared to be straight forward easy peasy. Now with quite a bit of experience and knowing what is needed for the wood at hand it takes about the same time to file a chain whether it is rocked out or needs just a touch up as changing chains. A really badly nicked chain could take as long as 20 minute for a long bar or less than 10 minutes for a shorter chain. Now with that being said many different angles exist that will help navigating into different types of wood that does make a significant difference, but changing angles are not easily done on a grinder only horizontal angles can be changed. However angle changes are only very small difference that will make very small changes in cutting performances. As long as the chips are flying there are different strokes for different folks. Thanks

I just ordered a 5mm Dinasaw Cyclone wheel from Left Coast. Great folks and great price. Only the smaller diameter wheels are on the website so you have to call for the larger ones. Ron

What grit do the vented wheels come in?
A course one would be nice to have for really rocked chains.
Ones in relief work get REALLY bad. Lol

From Bailey's website:

Q. What grit size are these wheels?
A. Dinasaw uses a blend of Borazon to achieve the best results. The grit comparison would roughly be between 60 and 80 grit on the ABN Cyclone Grinding wheels.

Ron

Also from Bailey's website:

Q. I just ordered one of these wheels and was wondering what I am supposed to use to clean/dress it with? I have heard to use the White aluminum oxide sticks? I realize its just to clean the wheel, and not change the profile.
A. You do not want to use anything as abrasive as stone. The best method to clean is a wire brush and/or acetone.

Ron

Latest posts

Back