Should I buy a Homelite 550 on CL for $50?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiddy bucks foe an 82cc pro Port Chester ripping snorting get your jollies off running it Red and Black Homelite.

And you come on here and ask us, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!

Go GET the saw, if the wife has issues, tough, get over it.

:rock:

You get that 550 yet? It will not be long before you are looking for one of it's big brother, them ole Homelites are pack animals. The mail man just dropped off my 750 right before I left for work. That's right...... 112cc of Homelite goodness for ole Roanoker.....

Mmmm... the only thing holding me back is
#1) already spent my Christmans money - so would have to run it by the wife :eek2:

Easy.... you can easily recoup the investment. feebay 550s care easily hitting 200, and if it looks good, you may see 3 bills for it.

#2) No chainbrake on this model from what I understand
Chainbrakes are on some 550s. They weren't on most, but they do exist.

#3)would need add'l monies for bar and chain...
That can wait... you'd be just investing today in a killer deal.

Am I being unreasonable?
Just get the saw! You'll love it! :rock:

Dan

The mail man just dropped off my 750 right before I left for work. That's right...... 112cc of Homelite goodness for ole Roanoker.....
You dawg ! That's the one saw I'm looking for. Then I'm done buying saws forever !
My day will come. I'll probably be 73 yrs. old and won't be able to lift it, though. LOL
Wait. No pics ? Didn't happen.

Got the saw. Runs good, compressions seems pretty good from just using the pull-on-starter rope method. Just got back in so now will start taking a look at things, do a real compression test etc.. while there is a few minutes of sunlight left.

I will make ya a deal, since it is tax time and I have some money heading my way. If the saw runs, has good compression and has no major corrison I will give you $100 for it if you decide not to keep it. I will even send you a box, packing materials and a prepaid shipping label to ship it to me.

Roanoker, you're a generous man. If it comes to that I will give you first dibs and at a great deal but I'm really hoping to have the time and resources to make this saw into something good. Money is scarce around here which is why I wanted to make sure I was making a good purchase.

I sure hope that biggus hauled his butt over to Vince's place to get the saw.

I did - and either it's a really small world or you found the ad on craigslist I was talking about....

I did - and either it's a really small world or you found the ad on craigslist I was talking about....

Pretty easy really...you posted a Homelite 550 and your location say's you live in AZ.. two clicks and I was on it just the same. Post the pictures AFTER you get a good deal and it's in your hands!

Glad you got it.... now the rules for new saws and new members...... if there are no pictures it didn't happen! A picture just to make sure you get the #1 rule!

uselesswithoupichers-1.jpg

Last edited:
Out of sun light so couldn't get far but so far: 150 psi cold compression test.

I also noticed the clutch cover is not solid like all the other pictures I've seen (as well as the IPL). There is a circular hole over the actual clutch which exposes it to the outside. It doesn't look cut out - if it is it's a really clean cut. Any idea why that may be?

Out of sun light so couldn't get far but so far: 150 psi cold compression test.

I also noticed the clutch cover is not solid like all the other pictures I've seen (as well as the IPL). There is a circular hole over the actual clutch which exposes it to the outside. It doesn't look cut out - if it is it's a really clean cut. Any idea why that may be?

Hey, cool score man! Can't help you on the clutch cover, maybe the clutch backed out and cut it? Post up some pics and the smart guys will help ya!

Pictures:

Sorry they're a little big... also, you can see the clutch-hole in the cover I was talking about...

imga0354.jpg

imga0353j.jpg

imga0355.jpg

Hole in the cover does not belong. As others said, it looks like the clutch backed out and cut the hole. I've seen it before. I may by a slim chance have a spare laying around, I will check and if I do, I will PM you.

I sure hope that biggus hauled his butt over to Vince's place to get the saw.

...I did - and either it's a really small world or you found the ad on craigslist I was talking about....

Pretty easy really...you posted a Homelite 550 and your location say's you live in AZ.. two clicks and I was on it just the same. Post the pictures AFTER you get a good deal and it's in your hands!...

I mentioned Vince to illustrate how easy it is for someone to find the deal in question, which Watson also did. In other words, asking questions about deals on Craig's List and/or eBay before you have the saw in hand can bite you in the butt. A complete Homelite 550, running or not, for $50.00 is a great deal.

I can understand you wanting to ask first if you're not familiar the value of chainsaws or a particular chainsaw, but putting too much info in your thread while being indecisive opens the door for others to find the listing and make a deal on the saw. If you don't already know, learn how to search completed listings on eBay, and how to seach here at AS (sometimes the site search function is worthless, using Google works much better).

Google search & results http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-....,cf.osb&fp=5510e0ed81b722d8&biw=1093&bih=481

OR, pick someone here that you think may know about this stuff and can trust them, send a PM about the saw to ask the questions...

There are people here that WILL call the seller because you posted and steal the deal, they call and tell the seller that the saw is worth way more than it really is and the stories about this goes on and on.... see it all the time! if that saw was a 650/750 you would have never got there fast enough, it WOULD have been gone!

Chris had some very good points.

Back