should I rebuild my stihl 200T or just keep it for parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summit583guy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why my employers never rebuilt there burnt out 200t's. I recently bought a 200t in pretty good shape (commercial standards) paint has barely been worn on the bar, probobly original chain etc. It won't idle worth of ####. So I rebuilt carb, tryed a new carb, new fuel filter, spark plug, air filter. Im almost positive it's pooched. I haven't looked at the cylinder yet to see if it's still good. I can do basic repairs but im in way over my head when it comes to putting a new cylinder or piston in. I was thinking of buying a new cylinder/piston/rings combo from baileys for $225 and get my mechanic to install it for an hour or so labour $70-$100. That would bring me in the 450-$500 range all said and done to what I have into it. Or I could just buy a new 200t for $800 taxes in or so?

I would've said forget about doing the work yourself about a month ago, but after finding this site and getting ahold of a tired 032 av I am working it over myself. I have learned alot, read tons of interesting posts and found out that my mechanical aptitude goes beyond changing my trucks' oil and tinkering on my guns/reloading. What do you have to lose? Go for it, get that machine up and running again!

You should sell it to me and buy a new one. How much. I would like to have it but really 600 will buy a new one here so 500 sounds like alot for a used one. They r kinda a pain to rebuild because the way they come apart, but very doable and I would be happy to help with pics or whatever U need. I have pulled my 200ts down several times while moding them and I bet U could have it down and back together inside an hour haveing never done it before. James

Last edited:
Are you sure Baileys has a piston/cylinder kit? The Meteor pistons they sell for the 200 work well. I've put about half a dozen of them in saws. Like nba123 said, they are worth re-building and are not that hard. Gas tank takes a fine touch to get off and the throttle linkage can be a pain the first time but other than that they are nice saws to work on. Check to see if your impulse hose is connected before you do anything. Check both ends. Remove the recoil and check it at the cylinder and also check where it hooks up to the carb housing. Also check the compression. It should have at least 150lbs. or more IMO.

Are you sure Baileys has a piston/cylinder kit? The Meteor pistons they sell for the 200 work well. I've put about half a dozen of them in saws. Like nba123 said, they are worth re-building and are not that hard. Gas tank takes a fine touch to get off and the throttle linkage can be a pain the first time but other than that they are nice saws to work on. Check to see if your impulse hose is connected before you do anything. Check both ends. Remove the recoil and check it at the cylinder and also check where it hooks up to the carb housing. Also check the compression. It should have at least 150lbs. or more IMO.

I forgot to mention the linkage, I have also had impulse lines that needed replaced and one that the intake boot was tore probly from a drop. James

I always wondered why my employers never rebuilt there burnt out 200t's. I recently bought a 200t in pretty good shape (commercial standards) paint has barely been worn on the bar, probobly original chain etc. It won't idle worth of ####. So I rebuilt carb, tryed a new carb, new fuel filter, spark plug, air filter. Im almost positive it's pooched. I haven't looked at the cylinder yet to see if it's still good. I can do basic repairs but im in way over my head when it comes to putting a new cylinder or piston in. I was thinking of buying a new cylinder/piston/rings combo from baileys for $225 and get my mechanic to install it for an hour or so labour $70-$100. That would bring me in the 450-$500 range all said and done to what I have into it. Or I could just buy a new 200t for $800 taxes in or so?

$800 for a new one!!!!!!!!!! I paid $600 a couple years ago for a new one, in Victoria, not too far from you. There might be something very simple with yours, not likely it needs a new P&C unless something seriously wrong, like straight gas?? Check compression then go from there. I've worked on and rebuild a bunch of those saws. If you don't want it, I'm interested.

If you do a search here you will find those carbs at a POS. I would look for a new carb for it and see if it helps but first take the muffler off and look at the piston. If it's scored then look at rebuilding it. I guess I'm late getting in line for this one.

how can you tell if the cylinder is scored or not? the spark plug whole is so tiney. lol i tryed that already and couldn't see inside very well. ''parisw'' thanks I appreciate that I might take you up on the offer if I cant get it to run right'

Use a compression gauge and see what you get. Due to the location of the plug hole it is going to be tough to get a look at things. Did you check the impulse line?

I've never seen a 200 up close but can't the muffler be removed like other saws to check piston?

no i dont think you can ''easily'' remove the muffler like on other saws. What is an impulse line? and what should i look for?

there's a small hose from carb to bottom of crank case. Your carb will have two hoses, one for the fuel and the other is the impulse.

The impluse doesn't directly attach to the carb on 200T's, it attaches under the carb box, you can see it if you look under the left side of the carb box, it'll be hard to see due to the seal that's there.

What you really need to do to make sure it is 100%, it to break the whole saw down, pressure test it, and go through the common problems with these saws. Its a fair amount of work on these, I can do it fairly quickly now, but I've worked on lots of them.

well I had some time today to take a look at my 200t, i figured out how to pull the muffler and by the looks of it, the piston is badly scored but the cylinder looks pretty good, a few small nicks but still good. Im thinking of ordering a piston and ring set and installing it myself. What are the steps to putting the piston in? thanks.

The answer to your question can't be answered briefly. Hit up the search function for re-build threads. The basics all aply to the 200t. Just make sure the piston is oriented properly. It is easy to get confused when working on a top handle like the 200t. While the muffler is off I would split it and clean it well. They carbon up pretty good. Make sure to heat the bolts on the halves if you do decide to split it.

I figured out this afternoon how to take the handle and tank off the saw and pull the cylinder off. needless to say the piston is moderatley scored on the exuaste side( rings are still in tact not broken ) the muffler side cylinder wall has vertical scoring , nothing deep though. I ripped the cylinder gasket when i pulled the cylinder off so that will have to be replaced but other then that Ive ordered a new piston with rings and was hoping I could lightly sand down the one cylinder wall. What type of sandpaper should I use? have I missed any steps?

There are no aftermarket cylinders available for the 200T. If you don't remove all transfered aluminum from the cylinder before installing the new piston, you're likely to be back in the same boat again. Do a search on muratic acid.

Back