Should I replace this sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m21bmr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Echo CS-370 saw that I bought used, and I've read what seems to be a variety of opinions on when to replace the drive sprocket. It seems that the manufacturer websites say after you wear out 2-3 chains, the sprocket should be replaced. I have also read that ~0.5mm wear on a sprocket is the acceptable limit.

Some other things I have read from user forums seem to indicate that the recommendations above are overkill.

I have bought a new chain for the saw, as the one that is on it was pretty worn (it was not the original chain). I am also planning to replace the bar. Below are a few pictures of the sprocket. If you were in my shoes, would you replace it? Thanks...

U heard from the guru. :greenchainsaw: It dont look that bad. Run it like u stole it!:givebeer:

Looks nearly new...I wouldnt even think of replacing it.

We generally get 3-4 chains out of ECHO spurs, but it depends on the oil they use, how tight they keep the chain, and how dirty the wood is.

I've seen worse... heck, there are prolly sprockets on some of my saws that look just like that. :)

replacing a sprocket every 2 to 3 chains is a little excessive to me. Just remember, the sprocket guys wanna sell sprockets... plus... If the manufacturer tells Harry Homeowner (no offense meant) to replce the sprocket after every 2 to 3 chains... it takes less worry from Harry that he is doing his saw good with "maintenance".

Gary

I'd run it. If it came in to the shop for service, I wouldn't change it. Good to be cautious, but no reason to waste money.

Getting serious....

It will last at least two more chains, if that is the wear from wearing out one.

Just keep the chain sharp, and the chain tightening right!

Thanks for all the opinions. I was leaning toward reusing it, but using my "ask the audience" has yielded almost a unanimous opinion. Thanks for helping out a "Harry Homeowner"

I'd run it. If it came in to the shop for service, I wouldn't change it. Good to be cautious, but no reason to waste money.
So, basically your saying that it's ok to replace it if it's not on, and actually is your dime...but that you wouldn't waste that type of money on your own saws????

Are you affiliated with Gardenland in Campbell, CA ? :sucks:

It is that very type of business practice that makes people like me cautious of some dealers, what you preach doesn't sound very trustworthy...

EDIT: OOPs, my bad as others pointed out...I CAN'T read very well...:monkey: Apologies to Blood! :blush:

Last edited:
So, basically your saying that it's ok to replace it if it's not on, and actually is your dime...but that you wouldn't waste that type of money on your own saws????

It is that very type of business practice that makes people like me cautious of some dealers, what you preach doesn't sound very trustworthy...

Hey bub, read what you quoted--he said he "wouldn't" change the sprocket if it came in for service.

WTF have you been smokin dude?

I think Traditional just misread Blood's post is all.:monkey:

You should watch your chain tension. If it is inconsistent, it would indicate that the sprocket is worn too much. If the chain tightens up after you adjust the chain it is the chain riding out of the groove on the clutch. You are close on that clutch drum. I'd toss it.
ZG

You should watch your chain tension. If it is inconsistent, it would indicate that the sprocket is worn too much. If the chain tightens up after you adjust the chain it is the chain riding out of the groove on the clutch. You are close on that clutch drum. I'd toss it.
ZG

close on that drum clutch?! bro send me your "used "parts!. compared to some of mine that thing is brand new!

Back