side arm vs plate exchanger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No there isn't a plate HX or a side arm. My OWB is a Hardy which can utilize seperate water lines for heat and domestic hot water. Point I was making was to becareful of the size of tank being used to store the hot water.

How does the water get hot in the tanks without heat exchanger ?? Please explain how it works.

How does the water get hot in the tanks without heat exchanger ?? Please explain how it works.
I think the domestic hot water is heated in the boiler. Which means 2 more lines underground for that type hookup. If I'm not mistaken the Taylor wood boilers are the same.

Nice setup w/pics iska3!

Fouling on plate HX's can be greatly reduced by using either a cartridge-type filter, water softner, or Y-strainer on the feed side of the HX.

Nice setup w/pics iska3!

Fouling on plate HX's can be greatly reduced by using either a cartridge-type filter, water softner, or Y-strainer on the feed side of the HX.

I have to thank you and oneoldbanjo for all the input in my set up. I read everything the two of you wrote on this forum. After hearing the Pros and Cons of a heat exchanger and the plate, I decided to use more valves, unions and several bi-passes. In the summer I block off my OWB pumps, connect a secondary pump and a filter attached to my lines and flush the system with Ice Maker cleaner .

I also have a pressure gage on the feed line thinking if I did have a blockage, I might see an increase in pressure.

Thanks Again!!

I have to thank you and oneoldbanjo for all the input in my set up. I read everything the two of you wrote on this forum. After hearing the Pros and Cons of a heat exchanger and the plate, I decided to use more valves, unions and several bi-passes. In the summer I block off my OWB pumps, connect a secondary pump and a filter attached to my lines and flush the system with Ice Maker cleaner .

I also have a pressure gage on the feed line thinking if I did have a blockage, I might see an increase in pressure.

Thanks Again!!

You're welcome, and thank you again for those pics....I still have not installed mine yet, still looking for the cheap (yeah!) inline flow switch, haven't found anything under $100 yet....want to use the flow switch so when a HW faucet is opened, it turns on the HWH loop circ. from the primary boiler loop into the HX.

I have to thank you and oneoldbanjo for all the input in my set up. I read everything the two of you wrote on this forum. Thanks Again!!

Your welcome. I am not an expert in this field.....I only know what I did and it works fine for me. We have public water that comes from the Ohio River and it measured 10 grains which we were told was hard water....so we installed a water softener and we have been in the house 3.5 years without any clogging of the plate exchanger. Our exchanger has threaded connections with rubber O-rings for sealing.....so if I have to remove it for cleaning or replacement it will be pretty easy.

Yes there are two line to the OWB and two return lines. There's a coil inside the water jacket for the domestic hot water. The well pump and pressure tank circulates the domestic water. Pump on the OWB circulates the water to heat the house.

I installed special valves on each side of my plate exchanger. The valves permit cycling a cleaning solution through the exchanger. That way you can clean it without having to uninstall it or do anything special. Mine is only 1 year old and I've not had to clean it yet.

I absolutely love the plate exchanger and after having had one would never consider a sidearm. The HX is efficient enough that I wouldn't even need hot water heaters for storage. It can create all the hot water I need -- on demand. Even so, I have it heat 160 gallons of hot water in 2 electric hot water heaters. It probably only runs twice a day for about 5 minutes at a time. That means my OWB spends its time heating the house and garage.

I installed special valves on each side of my plate exchanger. The valves permit cycling a cleaning solution through the exchanger. That way you can clean it without having to uninstall it or do anything special. Mine is only 1 year old and I've not had to clean it yet.

I absolutely love the plate exchanger and after having had one would never consider a sidearm. The HX is efficient enough that I wouldn't even need hot water heaters for storage. It can create all the hot water I need -- on demand. Even so, I have it heat 160 gallons of hot water in 2 electric hot water heaters. It probably only runs twice a day for about 5 minutes at a time. That means my OWB spends its time heating the house and garage.

There are special 3-way valves on the market now, made by Apollo and Webstone, developed for flushing instantaneous hot water heaters that make that simple.

On another note, a lot of storage is required to fully utilize the capability of most of the indoor gasifier-type boilers, except for the E-Classic OWB.

On another note, a lot of storage is required to fully utilize the capability of most of the indoor gasifier-type boilers, except for the E-Classic OWB.

AND the Wood Doctor line of HE gassifiers....I have a HE-5000 and my neighbor has the HE-8000 OWB's. They work great, are less money than the Classic, and have not needed modifying. Neither of us have "storage".
BTW, I'm sure there are other OWB Gassifiers out there by several manufacturers that work fine without storage.

There are special 3-way valves on the market now, made by Apollo and Webstone, developed for flushing instantaneous hot water heaters that make that simple.

I have the webstone 3-way valves.

i am running out of hot water using my side arm..if i would consider a plate H/E to be installed what would it intail? see pic of my unit.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Centra...unt=20&dir=asc

Your link doesn't work.

It depends on your current setup. A lot of people run these plate exchangers in series with their current system. I don't. I have a primary loop where the water comes in from the boiler and goes back out to the boiler. It doesn't pass through any heat exchangers. I have 3 pumps, placed on closely spaced Tees, that hang off the side of the primary loop. I have a taco control box and relays that turn the circulator pumps on and off based on demand. I tied wires into the existing thermostat on my electric hot water heater and shut the power off to the hot water heater. When that thermostat calls for heat, it trips a relay that turns on the 2 circulator pumps (one on each side of the HX.) It heats up 160 gallons of hot water which is stored in those tanks. But the HX is capable of making hot water on demand so either way I have unlimited and FREE hot water.

Your link doesn't work.

It depends on your current setup. A lot of people run these plate exchangers in series with their current system. I don't. I have a primary loop where the water comes in from the boiler and goes back out to the boiler. It doesn't pass through any heat exchangers. I have 3 pumps, placed on closely spaced Tees, that hang off the side of the primary loop. I have a taco control box and relays that turn the circulator pumps on and off based on demand. I tied wires into the existing thermostat on my electric hot water heater and shut the power off to the hot water heater. When that thermostat calls for heat, it trips a relay that turns on the 2 circulator pumps (one on each side of the HX.) It heats up 160 gallons of hot water which is stored in those tanks. But the HX is capable of making hot water on demand so either way I have unlimited and FREE hot water.

I'm confused, but it is early in the morning here....What kind of HX are you using for the hot water heater??? I like that method of control you used, I was considering a flow switch which would turn on the circ. to the HX when a hot water faucet was opened, but they are kinda pricey.

Latest posts

Back