Since it's poll season, let's look at the 50cc class saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What 50cc class "pro saw" do you like, or which one would you get?

• Stihl MS260

Votes: 62 35.4%
  • Husky 346XP (old model)

Votes: 29 16.6%
  • Husky 353

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Jonsered 2152

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dolmar 5100S

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Shindaiwa 488

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
Norwalk Power Equipment Copany has the 346XP, 3 chains,Husky Tshirt and cap, depending on size bar, from $399 to $423 (16" to 20").

We had a Shiny 488 at work that the guys used down in the yard sawing LVL lumber. Tell ya what, thats not a bad little saw. They beat the living hell out of it and it kept right on going.

Yeah, the build quality is there, they are just a little behind with the outboard clutch and front chain adjust. I thought they would have addressed this with the new 490 but the best I can tell all they did was move the chain adjuster to the cover (no real help) but still has the outboard clutch.:(

Nothing in my yard rocks like the exalted :bowdown: Homelite XL-76:bowdown:

I didn't see it on the list, though... most likely an oversight I think...

Careful before you :blob2: , I believe the saw was marketed as a "pro" saw in its day...

Husky 246, have been running the heck out of mine for 10 years and it's still running great, light, nimble and fast cutting. If I were to buy new however, I'd buy a 5100s dolmar. I've run my friends and it's a mean little saw.

I vote 026, but had to click the mrs. 260. have and love the 5100S, but after running my lightly modded 026 pro, it feels much too bulky. that said, I wouldn't sell it. made my 26pro the tree blocking saw and keep the dolmy on the ground for brush, it eats the bigger chunks pretty good, actually better than the 26 imo. both wearing 3/8 full comp btw.
-Ralph

The 026/MS-260 is what, old enough to vote? And Stihl hangs in there with the best of the rest, how much better could it get?

Dealer support, spare parts for next to nothing, a very well proven saw.

I have little doubt that the 026/MS-260 has all ready sold more units then all the rest will ever sell.

You can never agrue with success!

I vote 026, but had to click the mrs. 260. have and love the 5100S, but after running my lightly modded 026 pro, it feels much too bulky. that said, I wouldn't sell it. made my 26pro the tree blocking saw and keep the dolmy on the ground for brush, it eats the bigger chunks pretty good, actually better than the 26 imo. both wearing 3/8 full comp btw.
-Ralph

I agree that the 5100S is on the heavy and bulky side for a 50cc - but then there is the power......:clap: :clap:

I will wait to place judgement against the NE 346, but that one sure is nicer to handle than the Dolmar.

A stock 026/260 is nowhere near the same class for power and speed, but they sure are light and handy, if you avoid the "C" etc versions.

Last edited:
Here is the new 346 (50cc);

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

With the 5100SH (and a new bar on it):

attachment.php

attachment.php

ST in those pics of the 5100 and new 346. The new 346 looks taller, wider and bulker in the pics ;) . Could be a optical illusion too.

ST in those pics of the 5100 and new 346. The new 346 looks taller, wider and bulker in the pics ;) . Could be a optical illusion too.

I know, and it sure is, except for the hight, that doesn't matter anyway.....:)

Actually, the new 346 is higher that the old 346 and 353s, the cooling fins on the engine are wider also.....

Higher centre of gravity, and a slimmer body, makes some difference on a limbing saw.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new saw Troll! From the pics, it looks to be as physically as large as the 5100, not that's a bad thing though. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back