small chainsaw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im looking for a smaller chainsaw mainly lighter for when im limbing and also cutting smaller trees. Im looking for suggestions on a saw to fit my needs mainly because I have a bad back and I can feel my larger 20" husky when I have been bent over cutting for more than 15 minutes or so.. so any suggestions are much appreciated.. thanks...

More Info

How much do you want to spend? What are smaller trees to you? How much will you be using the saw. Looks like your other saw is a 455, so you are looking at upper 40cc lower 50cc? Pro saw or homeowner saw? Apposed to used or not?

Chances are the most common answer will be 346xp, I finally just bought one and you probaby would'nt ever have much use for the 455 if you went that route. That being said the Husky 350 and 353 would fit the bill at a lesser price. The Stihl MS260 would also be an option if you could find a well maintained used one. MS250 and 270 also options.

i know when i had a 260 pro and was looking for a smaller saw i picked up the 170. it's a great little saw with a 14" bar...

How small?

i know when i had a 260 pro and was looking for a smaller saw i picked up the 170. it's a great little saw with a 14" bar...

Agreed I have one as well and for a trimming saw they work ok. I put an adjustable carb on mine as well as a muff mod and it works real well now. The 455 weighs about what a 372xp weighs so how small of a saw are we talking here?

I'd recommend the 435.

How much do you want to spend? What are smaller trees to you? How much will you be using the saw. Looks like your other saw is a 455, so you are looking at upper 40cc lower 50cc? Pro saw or homeowner saw? Apposed to used or not?

Chances are the most common answer will be 346xp, I finally just bought one and you probaby would'nt ever have much use for the 455 if you went that route. That being said the Husky 350 and 353 would fit the bill at a lesser price. The Stihl MS260 would also be an option if you could find a well maintained used one. MS250 and 270 also options.

I agree the 346 would be an awesome choice but I think if the OP is looking for a light-weight saw that will DO the job he should consider the 435. I own both and I'll tell you the 435 is one snotty little saw. Great throttle response - and plenty of power as well. I think the 435's are selling for about $269.

Here's a photo of the 435 alongside the 346 for size comparison. The 435 is about a pound lighter than the 346XP and almost 4 LBS. lighter than the 455!!!

Al :cheers:

attachment.php

Last edited:
I heard they were pretty good also.

Do you own one so you can shed some light as to the 211's benefits??
I'm interested in what makes them better than say the MS170.

Al:cheers:

I second and third the little Husqvarns 435. Mine is stone stock, just bought the custom tool for the carb adj screws, fattened it up a tad and it's been been running flawlessly. I did notice that although it LOVES to rev, the little stratto engine looses some mid-range power if you use a lean "H" speed setting. I set mine for best mid-range power in the cut in larger material, rather than rpms and chain speed in small limbs, etc.

I also use and recomend the Echo CS-370's and 400's. Dirt cheap on Ebay, and are great limbing saws as well. They don't run as fast as the 435, but PLENTY of low end and mid range "grunt" for a smaller cc saw.....Cliff

Wanna take a flyer on Ryobi 10532...

Check the posts on the reconditioned Ryobi 10532 40cc reconditioned saws. Seems like with a little work on the fuel line and fuel line pickup assembly a lot of these reconditioned saws are a good little workhorse. They are essentially rebadged RedMax GZ400's.

They have them on eBay for $116 shipped

Dolmar 420 is a light little saw that is built like a pro saw. Has an adjustable carb and a is not a plastic crankcase like most other small saws. And it is real easy to remove the cat if you should choose to. Price is real competitive too.
And it is an easy starter.

I like the little Ryobi, but it's not all that great of a bargain. I had the coil crap out in mine almost imediately ($25 because it wasn't worth trying to warranty it), better bar and chain set-up ($30), defective tank vent, fuel line too long.

Still not all that bad and you'll come in less than $150 for a pretty well made saw with great power for 40cc. I still prefer the 435, got mine new in the box on Ebay for $180.....Cliff

Do you own one so you can shed some light as to the 211's benefits??
I'm interested in what makes them better than say the MS170.

Al:cheers:

A much better saw than the 170 imo. Better anti-vibe if that matters, doesn't to me. Better air filter system, much more power and built like a tank.

I vote the 211 or 435, these two saws seem to be the most common choice here for tiny saws. I :heart: my 211.:D

Im looking for a smaller chainsaw mainly lighter for when im limbing and also cutting smaller trees. Im looking for suggestions on a saw to fit my needs mainly because I have a bad back and I can feel my larger 20" husky when I have been bent over cutting for more than 15 minutes or so.. so any suggestions are much appreciated.. thanks...

i found an amazingly nice craftsman 36/16 at the scrap metal yard for oh, $7.00 or so. did some tweaking and now it's my go-to saw. starts right up , idles / runs well. i later learned that it's a Husky with a craftsman name. that being the case you can pay less and get more by buying a craftsman saw.

I recently debated between the MS180 and MS211 for a limbing saw. Although I believed the 211 was a better saw, it cost about $90 more than the 180, and it weighed more as well. Therefore, I walked away with the 180. Let me tell you....for limbing and small cutting, this saw is no slouch!!! I have been thoughly impressed. It weights 8.8 lbs, revs quick, and cuts through 6-8" hardwood with ease. Not bad for a $190 saw.

The 435 is about a pound lighter than the 346XP and almost 4 LBS. lighter than the 455!!!

Al :cheers:

Al,

The 435 is actually 2 pounds lighter than 346 when both are full of fuel and bar oil. I agree, both are great lightweight saws.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I recently debated between the MS180 and MS211 for a limbing saw. Although I believed the 211 was a better saw, it cost about $90 more than the 180, and it weighed more as well. Therefore, I walked away with the 180. Let me tell you....for limbing and small cutting, this saw is no slouch!!! I have been thoughly impressed. It weights 8.8 lbs, revs quick, and cuts through 6-8" hardwood with ease. Not bad for a $190 saw.

I`ve got a 180 in my arsenal. Punches way above its weight. You can just use it for hours without getting tired.

thanks for all the suggestions everyone.. I am going to do some research in to them and see what I like but as far as cutting goes it would probablly only cut 12 inch or smaller logs for anything bigge I would use my 455 and as far as used or new goes I would take a used if it was well maintained and in good shape over a new saw..thanks again everyone..

Latest posts

Back