Small limbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Dolmar PS 420 that was great...until it wasn't. I personally would not buy another. I think there are other Makitas with higher build quality than the one I had, but mine was not stellar.
What happened to it? Asking because my 4300 is just a rebadged 421, hoping to avoid the problems you had

My 420 was old. It developed what I think was either case or seal leaks and/or a coil problem. I was not smart enough to fix it. I used a new carb, and it didn't fix it. New primer bulb, new fuel lines. It would backfire and not run well. Used coil didn't fix it, so perhaps both coils were weak.

The 421 like yours may be better. If you like the saw, enjoy it.

Other than that, I didn't like all the plastic. It seemed flimsy. The plastic control for the choke/kill/and half-throttle setting was weak, I thought. The primer bulb tubes leaked. When I took it all apart, there was plastic everywhere. I did like the air filter cover...looked cool. I liked the spring assist starting, but didn't need that with such a small saw.

Well, I don' t work with saws all day, and I probably don't use what is best, but I use what I have - a Shindaiwa 488. I had a PS 420 Dolmar which was pretty nice for that, but I like the 488 also. I use a shorter 14" bar (because it was on the PS 420 before), so it has enough power with that short bar to really blow through the smaller limbs without bogging at all. Makes quick work.
Nothing wrong with a Shiny 488. My BIL used to be a dealer and stills runs one almost 30 years later.

I will attest to the satisfaction the Dolmar 421 has given to me. I too cut the cat out of the muffler. Did that immediately. Recently switched the OEM toothpick bar to a broader nosed Oregon that accommodates an Oregon narrow kerf .325 chain. Also went to a rim sprocket set up.

Back