Small saw you decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What ever saw wins I'll buy.

• Stihl MS211

Votes: 65 35.1%
  • Dolmar 401

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Dolmar 420

Votes: 38 20.5%
  • Efco 39cc saw from Bailey's

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Echo CS 310

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 46 24.9%

• Total voters
I'd like to see them both running the same chain.....Stihl RSC may reign supreme, but it doesn't seem like their picco is anywhere near where it should be.....Either way, both are great great saws. I think the Ryobi was faster, but the 211 was smoother.... Like I said, I'd like to see them run the same chain.

The 211 is definitely smoother. The Ryobi-Wan-Kenobi definitely has more torque and power. The 211's powerband seems a bit smoother, and it seems to accelerate a bit faster as well.

As a whole I definitely like the 211 more. But they're both sweet little saws. :clap:

Man...I have been holding out for the 261 for replacing my 180. But, it won't be out before 2011 :censored:. You might have put me over the edge; I may go get me one too...

Well here are the pics of my new 211 and a short video of the 211 and Ryobi 10532 aka Redmax GZ400. After reviewing the video it is clear the Ryobi is definitely the stronger saw. A better chain on the 211 would have made things a little closer, but I'm pretty sure the Ryobi would still come out on top.

For the money the little Ryobi is the better buy. With that said the 211 is a very impressive saw for what it is, and I have no doubt that it will last a long time. The air filtration seems to be as good or better than other saws with air injection. It's also one of the smoothest saws currently in production.

Anyway here are the pics and video.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Funny looking coil.
attachment.php

Sorry about the video quality.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Gvv3CYoQ0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Gvv3CYoQ0Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Was the Ryobi muffler modded? Was it broke in? Put a couple tanks of fuel thru that 211, open the muffler up and then see where they stand. :)

both saws are bone stock. The Ryobi had < 5 minutes run time on it before the video. The 211 was sitting on the dealers shelf Sat. morning....The advantage the Ryobi had was a more agressive chain.

both saws are bone stock. The Ryobi had < 5 minutes run time on it before the video. The 211 was sitting on the dealers shelf Sat. morning....The advantage the Ryobi had was a more agressive chain.

That Ryobi sounded much more healthy than the 211 to my untrained ears. So it sounds like they would both pick up some grunt after a few tanks thru them. Can the 211 be converted to a standard .325 setup?

That Ryobi sounded much more healthy than the 211 to my untrained ears. So it sounds like they would both pick up some grunt after a few tanks thru them. Can the 211 be converted to a standard .325 setup?

I'm not not sure about the chain. I would imagine someone makes a rim. As far as it sounding healthier, you also have to remember the 211 has 14% less displacement. (40cc vs. 35cc). Either way, both are fine saws.

Good times boys! How was the brew afterwards? :cheers:

The Ryobi sounded like it was breathing better when you guys were free revving them. I bet the 211 opens up after break-in. I saw a video on here where the 211 responded very nicely to gill slits.

That Stihl chain just seemed dull. It looked like you were pushing and the chain wasn't really feeding itself into the wood. Maybe thats part of the safety for occasional chainsaw users.

Can you run the same bar and chain on both saws?

The 211 has more power than the old 210, which ran .325. I don't see why the 211 would have a problem pulling .325 chain.

Was the 211 running .043 or .050 gauge chain???

If it's .043 PMN then yeah.... going to the .050 should help a bit.

If it's the .050 Stihl PM/PMC than it's about as good as 3/8's LP chain gets. If it’s the PMC3 (most likely) then you won’t see much improvement switching chains maybe a 1/10th…….. I’ve done the testing, I run Stihl 63PM on my Redmax. ;)

(in my best Chinese voice)
Seeeee, I toh youuuu. :laugh:

Might as well face it the Redmax (Ryobi) is just the faster/stronger, better built saw..... and a better value to boot with a longer warranty. :D
(The Stihlhead in me says, I did not just say that and will deny it if asked :laugh:)

:cheers:

I thought the Ryobi that Brad ported beat the 3800 that Brad ported?
That's all relative anyway...if you are only looking for the fastest and cheapest saw, sure, WOT is what counts. Not everyone is running their saws like that so for many folks having a saw that spins the highest RPM at WOT is not as critical...my $0.02...

I'm not not sure about the chain. I would imagine someone makes a rim. As far as it sounding healthier, you also have to remember the 211 has 14% less displacement. (40cc vs. 35cc). Either way, both are fine saws.
OTOH, RedMax parts are hard to get and costly...at least trying to find drum/rims for them...not so easy..I'm not sure about the 211 as I have never wanted one...so never really checked into it...:chainsaw: FWIW, I would go the RedMax route in that class, over the Ryobi, only because the Ryobi is assembled in China, and I HATE to give even a penny to those pukes if I can help it.

If you don't mind telling...what was the price difference between the Stihl and the Ryobi saws?

299.99 LIST on the Stihl, I'm sure it was had for less.

The RECONDITIONED Ryobi's are going for $99.00-140.00.

A new Redmax will get you pretty even with the Stihl price.

So..... I was just looking at the vote tallies and wondering.....

How many of the 51 people who voted for the Stihl 211 have actually ever even held one in their hands much less used one???? :dunno:

I'd bet less than half..... probably more like 25%, and I'd still call that optimistic. :laugh:

The saw is not what I'm impressed with. Ive got a hankering for a camera that will take a close-up like that and be so sharp! Kind? Cost? Where?
Igpoe:clap:

299.99 LIST on the Stihl, I'm sure it was had for less.

The RECONDITIONED Ryobi's are going for $99.00-140.00.

A new Redmax will get you pretty even with the Stihl price.

Reconditioned? I have not heard of this with chainsaws. I know with electronics, reconditioned means a unit that broke or had some flaw, then was fixed to be as good as new. Is this the same for chainsaws? Does this mean the Redmax/Ryobi is already having problems with breaking down?

Does Stihl sell reconditioned saws?

Latest posts

Back