Smoker on owb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LANNY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I may be way off base here, but has anyone ever thought of making a meat smoker that fits over the stove pipe on an owb? Seems to be a lot of heat and smoke going to waste. I was thinking of a smoker you could put on just to cook and then take it off, any thoughts guys?

I may be way off base here, but has anyone ever thought of making a meat smoker that fits over the stove pipe on an owb? Seems to be a lot of heat and smoke going to waste. I was thinking of a smoker you could put on just to cook and then take it off, any thoughts guys?

That nasty smoke will choke a maggot.Besides who would want to work on a ladder to tend their meat?
Honestly. you just need a little bit of smoke to smoke meats.And you do not want the creosote that is made in an owb

No, but i did consider a whisky still, then I remembered I was on parole.

We had a warm day here a while back. Since the OWB was mostly idle that day, I decided to wrap a few trout in foil and cook them in the OWB.

They came out great with a hint of smoke flavor.

No, but i did consider a whisky still, then I remembered I was on parole.

You can make it and drink it...just not sell it! Drinking its the fun part anyway!

But year, posts are correct about the smoke. You dont want creosote smoke for low heat smoking. You want a nice steady stream of fresh smoke and low temps...typically found by just burning small pieces of wood, or wood/charcoal mixed. I have a smaller off-set smoker and love to smoke! That hickory post earlier made me jealous...i've got my eye on a hickory in the woods i hunt. i just need a few branches for the entire summer of smoking!

Edit: Ok, quick google shows that it is ILLEGAL to make moonshine...i thought the law encompassed all alcohol but when Carter passed it in 78 it was for beer and wine ONLY, not spirits. Dont want to get anyone into trouble!

Last edited:
You can make it and drink it...just not sell it! Drinking its the fun part anyway!

But year, posts are correct about the smoke. You dont want creosote smoke for low heat smoking. You want a nice steady stream of fresh smoke and low temps...typically found by just burning small pieces of wood, or wood/charcoal mixed. I have a smaller off-set smoker and love to smoke! That hickory post earlier made me jealous...i've got my eye on a hickory in the woods i hunt. i just need a few branches for the entire summer of smoking!

Edit: Ok, quick google shows that it is ILLEGAL to make moonshine...i thought the law encompassed all alcohol but when Carter passed it in 78 it was for beer and wine ONLY, not spirits. Dont want to get anyone into trouble!

Yep, you can ferment and consume beverages, but you can't sell them.

You can't "artificially" raise the alcohol content by distilling or "jacking" (freezing the water out of) a fermented beverage. Better not leave that beer in the freezer;)

I've heard that as a farmer it is possible to get a license to distill for off road fuel purposes, but I don't know anyone who has tried to obtain one.

Probably best to keep your mouth shut, the stills in the woods and the cider in the deep freezer...oops:givebeer:

Back OT, I would have to agree on the smoking thing. Too much nasty smoke out of the OWB. I like to use just a few handfulls of wet sawdust in my grill for smoking. Cherry and apple are my favorite.

Last edited:
Yep, you can ferment and consume beverages, but you can't sell them.

You can't "artificially" raise the alcohol content by distilling or "jacking" (freezing the water out of) a fermented beverage. Better not leave that beer in the freezer;)

I've heard that as a farmer it is possible to get a license to distill for off road fuel purposes, but I don't know anyone who has tried to obtain one.

Probably best to keep your mouth shut, the stills in the woods and the cider in the deep freezer...oops:givebeer:

Back OT, I would have to agree on the smoking thing. Too much nasty smoke out of the OWB. I like to use just a few handfulls of wet sawdust in my grill for smoking. Cherry and apple are my favorite.

Woops, well its too late anyhow we have already consumed that 20 gallons of J.plum wine but it was sure good at about 70 proof and sweetened with honey.

Back