so how long does it take to dull a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandnational

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm guessing a cord? That seems to be average for me...

I'm cutting mostly oak and silver maple with some ash. Does this seem unusual?

When I say dull, I mean slows down, while still spitting good chips.

Sometimes, just seconds. Never let it get dull, soon as it ain't cutting good, sharpen it.

I sharpen mine as soon as I feel the saw working harder than it should, I also touch the chain up everytime I put gas and bar oil in the saw. If the wood is clean, this is the only time the chain gets the file. I would rather go through chains because I am sharpening too much, if possible, than tax the saw too much running a dull chain. A chain is cheaper than a saw.

Depends.

Skidded wood, dirty wood, will have reaching for the file more often than a cord. Much more often, and more so with reg. chisel.

A touch up here and there when a fill break comes, and unless you find wire or something, there's never a dull chain.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Depends.

Skidded wood, dirty wood, will have reaching for the file more often than a cord. Much more often, and more so with reg. chisel.

A touch up here and there when a fill break comes, and unless you find wire or something, there's never a dull chain.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If the wood is dirty, check to make sure that the oiler is working, sometimes dirt will plug the oiler.

I file my chains on the bar about every tank full or even more often if the wood is dirty or I hit something. After about 3 tanks I take em off, clean the saw and bar, and file in a vise, and do the depth gauges. I only hand file and seem to have pretty good luck with it. I'm sure there's room for improvement on my part, I always try to get better at it.

Depends on how many rocks are under the log I'm cuttin'

On average hard locust or osage ? about every 2 tanks I'll hit it with a file.

Oak,black walnut or hickory about every 4-5 tanks.

as of recent I've been cutting silver maple...I have to stop cutting every few minutes because the bar will start to smoke. is that telling of a dull chain?

That can be a dull chain, but its more likely an oiling problem which also can be a rail groove issue. Also, it can be that you have your chain too tight..

Yes, all of the above:

my bar started smoking (it was still cutting and throwing chips)

I stopped the saw here is what I observed:

- chain had tightened up due to bar groove filled with chips to the extent chain was being pushed out of the groove

- chain was under oiled, bar oil port was plugged with chips.

lesson learnt due not use a low profile chain with the L-shaped type rakers (stock 6401 chain is all I had at the time) if you have the bar buried on a high HP (681) saw that can hit the limiter in the cut with full pressure on a new sharp chain.

My guess is the the L-shaped raker impedes chip clearance at high cutting speeds and feed rates

I find I get the best chip clearance running a longer bar (32") with skip chain, much easier cutting than the throw away 20" bar and chain combo's that come with many stock saws

Last edited:
indeed that is what was happening...

oiler was getting plugged with chips...even tho it sprayed oil when the bar was held to a piece of cut wood to verify flow, just not enough.

chips had indeed built up in the groove of the bar which caused some drag.

Thanks!

Note: Silver Maple ='s very hard wood!

I found about 1 revolution of the chain will do it if its where it ain't suppose to be!!!!:confused:

Back