So i picked a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighthunter

addicted to arboristsite
Reaction score
So i picked up a saw a couple of days ago , and wow am I impressed with it weight. I've spent 2 hard days with it so far in forestry . It early days yet but I think it will replace my 362 with a 16" full time and don't think there's much weight difference between the two IMG_0003.JPGthe only problem I see so far is that the fuel tank might be a bit small for the power it makes

{snip}
the only problem I see so far is that the fuel tank might be a bit small for the power it makes
jd___that__s_what_she_said_by_leeroysmx357-d4ct9db.jpg

So i picked up a saw a couple of days ago , and wow am I impressed with it weight. I've spent 2 hard days with it so far in forestry . It early days yet but I think it will replace my 362 with a 16" full time and don't think there's much weight difference between the two View attachment 649961the only problem I see so far is that the fuel tank might be a bit small for the power it makes
The 462 is about 1.5 lb heavier than the 362. You have the shortest bar mounted on that saw that I have ever seen, so you must be cutting small diameter trees. I usually mount a 25" or 28" bar on my 046 Mag. Now and then I have to go to a 32". We get some big stuff here (elm, cottonwood, oak, sycamore, etc.)

The 462 is about 1.5 lb heavier than the 362. You have the shortest bar mounted on that saw that I have ever seen, so you must be cutting small diameter trees. I usually mount a 25" or 28" bar on my 046 Mag. Now and then I have to go to a 32". We get some big stuff here (elm, cottonwood, oak, sycamore, etc.)

Sweet saw! I wouldnt put anythin less than a 20” in that, but to each their own.

Very nice saw, but it really needs a much longer bar. ;)
depending on the job I'm doing either tree surgery or in forestry normally in the type of forestry I cut " its never really over 15" as the types of forests we have are young and large machines would damage trees or just get stuck. When I do tree surgery it will have a 20" nothing bigger as a small power head and a large bar do not make sense to me, I have to larger saws when I need them. No point of a big bar in small wood,logging is a lot different than what your used to on this side of the pond

I must admit that one of the strongest saws I own is my Stihl 064. The original owner never used any bar longer than 20" and only used it to cut firewood. This saw never breathed very hard during its entire life in the woods. It has so much compression that it takes everything I've got to start it.

If the woods small theres no reason to drag a long chain.

Big saws cut fast and get the job done faster than little saws. That 462 could be a candidate for 9 pin with a few mods. It eould realy cut em up fast. Maybe 8 pin and no mods

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running larger displacement powerheads with shorter bars? Is production increased? Efficiency lost?

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running larger displacement powerheads with shorter bars? Is production increased? Efficiency lost?
i cut young hardwood forestrys day in day out that is never any bigger than 12-14" and as such there's no point of a large bar in small timber, it's just the European norm

So i picked up a saw a couple of days ago , and wow am I impressed with it weight. I've spent 2 hard days with it so far in forestry . It early days yet but I think it will replace my 362 with a 16" full time and don't think there's much weight difference between the two View attachment 649961the only problem I see so far is that the fuel tank might be a bit small for the power it makes
I'm jealous , we'll need to wait until late fall at least in East Central Illinois:cry:

The shorter bar will extend the saw's life. I have a Stihl 064 that never pulled anything but a 20" bar and chain. It has so much compression that my shoulder is worn out trying to start it cold. The other today I ran it one-on-one against an MS660 that was used with 36" bars by a logger for over five years. We both ran 30" bars. My 064 edged it out at the finish line, but not my much. Heck, the chain condition might have been the difference, but who knows?

With how the weight of the 462 compares to the new 572, it certainly seems like a game changer. It does make you wonder though, if the saw is .6kg lighter than the Husqy, what did they skip out on to achieve the weight loss? Huqvarna has been testing the 572 for years, you'd think they would have removed enough material as deemed safe, and settled with the weight as it is necessary for longevity. IMO Stihl either skipped out on case reinforcements or they are using a lot of plastic... I guess time will tell if the 462 lasts. If it does, kudos to Stihl for making a wicked saw.

The shorter bar will extend the saw's life. I have a Stihl 064 that never pulled anything but a 20" bar and chain.
I'm somewhat confused saw with 16" bar tuned correctly WOT 13,000 ish revs, same saw with 20" or longer bar again tuned correctly WOT 13000 ish revs with correct fuel mix what makes the shorter bar saw have a longer life the saws we use in a commercial set up we find nothing pointing to less life time wise running a longer bar we use a more oil fuel ratio than the recommended 2% grateful for enlightenment

Where im at long bars are rare too, a 20 inch bar is considered long around here.
Everyone and there dog has a 16 inch bar on a 60cc saw around here.
I have a 18 on my saw and guys ask why I have a big bar on it lol.
Once you get used to short bars using long ones feels weird and you hit the dirt with it more bucking wood.

The reason we put long bars on saws is the same reason why Americans put big block engines in hotrods instead of 4 cylinders in sports cars. We just like it bigger, faster, louder baby!
Ive got a 3400 poulan with a 16" bar. That thing is a beast, because it's not having to pull all those teeth. I can put an aggressive grind on the chain and drop the drags way down. It just spews chips!
Same with the PM700. Got the factory 18" it came with. Made a "custom" chain out of the factory LKB chain, and it wont bog no matter how hard you lean on it. Wicked fast with an aggressive grind and all that torque.

That might be the shortest bar I have ever seen on an 046, a 460, a 461, or a 462. Are you going to use this after climbing high up in the trees, pruning branches prior to the drop? Looks like a nice powerful pruning saw. :rolleyes:
It's my only saw after selling the 440.It came with this 20' bar because it balances perfectly with it.I traded the bar for a new 25' es one,the heavy one.I use the saw with an 18' mostly and a 25 when falling.Only hardwood in my area.In the picture,the saw is hanged by the front handle and it stays straight with the 20 light bar.

Attachments

• 20190309_134651.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back