So my STIHL dealer says...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want a 660 and he tries to talk you into a 460????:dizzy: Your dealer alongside my dealer..."Dumb and Dumber".

some dealers want you to get what best suits your needs, not what puts the most money in their pockets...its called being a good businessman...

Hey Guys,

After going in to my STIHL dealer a few days ago shopping for a new saw, I was all googly-eyed at the 660, but he says... "For longevity, you'll want the 460, especially if you use it for some smaller stuff... those big saws just won't last as long as the 460 if they've been revving out cutting smaller stuff"

So I just kinda nodded my head, and left... now I had to blow this by everyone... to me it just doesn't make sense... won't the 660 just not work as hard as the 460? especially if I use it on a mix of sizes of woods? Just when I have an idea of what I'm getting, I am back to square 1!!! :cheers:

Jon

Did he/she have both in stock? If not did he/she have the 460 in stock. I belive he probably had the 460 in stock prior to the last price increase and can now sell it at the higher MSRP.

Bill

Hey Guys,

After going in to my STIHL dealer a few days ago shopping for a new saw, I was all googly-eyed at the 660, but he says... "For longevity, you'll want the 460, especially if you use it for some smaller stuff... those big saws just won't last as long as the 460 if they've been revving out cutting smaller stuff"

So I just kinda nodded my head, and left... now I had to blow this by everyone... to me it just doesn't make sense... won't the 660 just not work as hard as the 460? especially if I use it on a mix of sizes of woods? Just when I have an idea of what I'm getting, I am back to square 1!!! :cheers:

Jon

I suppose he might be on to something if you were gonna run an 18" on it. But who buys a 90cc saw to not pull something that could saw a house in half. One of the guys my brother just hired as a groundy showed up with his own saw a 385, 20" and said he was more comfortable with his own equipment. By lunch he had an 026 in his hand. Everything I know about 046 and 066 they are rock solid but take the big bar they offer on the saw and then get a 50 to 60 cc class to run your 18 and 20" bars. Your arms, back and shoulders will thank you.

My one dealer that I don't like did this to me as well. I went there looking for prices on a 660. And he goes..."your 460 is plenty big enough" I go...."WHAT?" He goes, "yea, those big saws have too much power for PA timber." I said "OK." and walked out and went to my other GOOD dealer the next week and bought my 660....lol All the other guys I talk to say the same thing about him. Oh....BTW this dealer is severly biased against husky. And he IS a HUSKY dealer.....lol A little screwed up....?????? My other dealer will sell me whatever I want......he keeps trying to get me to buy a new 395 and 372....lol It might work.......lol:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

dealer

Hey Guys,

Jon

Sounds like you need to find yourself another dealer............:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

The 650 with a 20 inch bar/chain is $819 out here right now.. MSRP special....

get whatever you want....
This might sound Strange to you Lake but I have run across quite allot of 650s in use not here in my home province but in B.C. Do people buy them to save that 80$/100$ bucks?

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Jon
Your Stihl dealer is on glue. Both are excellent Pro-quality machines.

This might sound Strange to you Lake but I have run across quite allot of 650s in use not here in my home province but in B.C. Do people buy them to save that 80$/100$ bucks?

My guess is that they have the 064 in their mind, and doesn't realize that the 650 is just as heavy as the 660.

My guess is that they have the 064 in their mind, and doesn't realize that the 650 is just as heavy as the 660.

Yeah, because an 064 is SOOO much lighter than an 066/660.

Wow, that was kinda harsh. Even for me.

But in all reality, if the wood you're cutting 90% of the time is going to be over 30" diameter, go for the 660. Otherwise, the 460 will work great.

Yeah, because an 064 is SOOO much lighter than an 066/660.

Wow, that was kinda harsh. Even for me.

But in all reality, if the wood you're cutting 90% of the time is going to be over 30" diameter, go for the 660. Otherwise, the 460 will work great.

Isn't the 064 about a pound and a half lighter than the 660?

My stihl guy stocks the 650 because it is a couple hundred less and sells an awfull lot of them and I ran one and they have a boathouse full of power but for some reason they got a bad rep, I don't get it. He will be the first to order the 660 but to stock them just doesn't do it.

My stihl guy stocks the 650 because it is a couple hundred less and sells an awfull lot of them and I ran one and they have a boathouse full of power but for some reason they got a bad rep, I don't get it. He will be the first to order the 660 but to stock them just doesn't do it.
Weird. We have sold one in 3 years. Just a 660 with smaller piston and cylinder. Same weight, less power.

Whatever "bad rep" it has is just about the lack of 660 power for the same weight - nothing more.

Last edited:
Weird. We have sold one in 3 years. Just a 660 with smaller piston and cylinder. Same weight, less power.

I don't doubt that. My guy is the best kind of rep, he fixes everything and is a tightwad so when he is charging 60 bucks an hour he actually looks at his watch. But just to throw a liitle curve he stocks the 880.

Back