So why all the "angst" towards the Husky 455?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the most important aspect of a chainsaw is the work it gets done, so when it comes down to it it's past the talk and to the point of getting the job at hand done. It's sort of like people that drive a 1 ton 4x4 truck with a 7. whatever liter diesel and don't even use the truck to haul stuff. I laugh at how my little Toyota has probably hauled more wood then most fullsize trucks on the road. I probably could get by with a 455, although I do know that very often I'm glad to have the bigger 268 when I cut bigger stuff. Until I got the 034 my 55 got used quite a bit, and it's still nice to have as a solid reliable backup.

Good Post

Most of the anti-455 sentiment is due to what I call "saw snobbery". Same deal with the MS290. It seems necessary for some guys to have saws/brands to look down on in order to feel better about what they own. They are each companies' best seller. They cut tons of wood. For their intended market, they both hit the bullseye. They may not be pro saws, but they don't make any promises that they can't keep.

Great post! I like my 455 Rancher and LOVE my Univent (372xpw) + Stock 372xp saws!

Spike made an excellent point in post #28. I ran a 455 briefly. I like my 359s better but the 455 didn't seem flimsy or junky at all. Also, the paper specs on that saw are misleading, at least reguarding horsepower. It seemed like more than 3.4 hp. Spike, do you ever sell any of the Vanguard 72, 73 chains?

I just picked up a 455 off of eBay that had been crushed by a tree. I knew that at least the handlebar was busted so I ordered a new one, they both arrived today. I gotta tell you guys the plastic handle made for a quick repair of a major problem. I replaced the handlebar, straightened the fins on the jug, took the muffler off and beat it back in shape (top half was crushed) and straightened the decompression valve. This saw had taken a serious lick and I had it back in top shape with a $41 handlebar, a hammer and a punch. Maybe what we think of as flimsy (plastic handlebar) is actually a plus.

:clap: So true...and I have the pick of several saws (read my signature)..bet I pick the Husqvarna 455 and the Homie 903 w/ 28inch bar for the bulk of my work this coming summer. The Homie for stumps, blocking, to scratch the vintage itch; and the Husqvarna 455 as my "new" main saw. Obsoleting the Homie 925 and Husky 365.

My wife will use the same Husqvarna 455 from time to time and her main saw is now that "new for us" Husqvarna 440e. Obsoleting her old Homie Ranger. (The Husky 440e is a significant upgrade over that little 33cc Homelite Ranger..that won't die..still runs as well as the day we bought it 4 years ago)(Might poach another 455 if the right opportunity arises or a Husqvarna 350 to build for her)

The Homelite 903 at work:
gallery_640_10_42162.jpg

gallery_640_10_76188.jpg

why are you quartering those sticks?
Mick

My wife and I built around 17,000 ft of four wire high tensile fence to build paddocks for our horse rescue/farm this last two years. We have around 260 acres and fenced most of the pasture land. I used 10-12 inch dia 9ft long Honey Locust logs for corners and corner braces. I used quartered larger 12-14 inch logs for line posts. All the corners and corner braces are sunk 4 ft into hard shale. All the line posts are sunk 2.5 ft to 3 ft in that same hard pan and hard shale. All those holes were dug first with a auger on my tractor untill it stopped and then finished by sledge hammer and bar by me. So far around 100 holes for corner posts and gate posts...I can't even count how many line posts.

So to answer your question...I have a lot of Honey Locut. AND I like bringing old saws back to life. A blend of hobby and farm requirements. I used Honey Locust and Black Locust for the part of this fencing project. I used old telephone poles for the rest...

Chainsaws get a lot of work here....before the fencing it was chainsaw milling Hard Maple, Oak, and Ash for horse stalls in our barn. After fencing & water development projects, it will be out buildings and lean-to's for the pasture area's and equipment. And to fill out the chainsaw schedule I have to get enough firewood for each winter...and clean the fences and trails. Also need to cull the 100 acres of hard wood...and maybe a selective cut of the plus 22 inch wood next year...only so much time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back