Solo Twin....FINALLY!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool thread, love the saw. I think I want one just to watch people scratch their head at the words "solo twin" put together.

Thinking of getting a banshee instead of a water-x sled/project for the summer

All this banshee talk leads me to the Quadzilla, It may have not pulled RPMs but it surely was a monster... something about 500cc od power always gets me. Even when it comes to sleds as of late I've been more attracted to 600-700cc power plants. Especially a stock 600 factory race buggy lol

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

This is going to be a ride, guys. I've got 91 pics to share. Normally, I wouldn't post them all, but due to how rare these are and the lack of info on them, I'm going to share them all.

Here she is, fresh out of the box.
IMG_4631-L.jpg

IMG_4633-L.jpg

IMG_4632-L.jpg

IMG_4634-L.jpg

IMG_4635-L.jpg

IMG_4636-L.jpg

IMG_4637-L.jpg

IMG_4638-L.jpg

IMG_4639-L.jpg

IMG_4647-L.jpg

IMG_4651-L.jpg

IMG_4664-L.jpg

I did not plan to go where I ended up going with this saw tonight, but here we go. When I start on something, it's hard for me to stop, lol. I'm going to be sharing the good...the bad...and the ugly!

I knew I had some electrical issues. Here's the beginning of it.
IMG_4640-L.jpg

IMG_4641-L.jpg

The recoil cover has been repaired. My main concern is that it appears metal is missing, not just cracked.
IMG_4642-L.jpg

IMG_4643-L.jpg

IMG_4644-L.jpg

IMG_4646-L.jpg

The cylinder cover hinge has been previously repaired as well.
IMG_4652-L.jpg

IMG_4656-L.jpg

IMG_4657-L.jpg

IMG_4658-L.jpg

IMG_4660-L.jpg

IMG_4662-L.jpg

Here I have removed the muffler cover. Those are the exhaust port on both sides. They exit from the outside corners of the cylinders.
IMG_4666-L.jpg

This is inside the muffler cover. The exhaust travels through the pipes before exiting.
IMG_4667-L.jpg

This is the back side of the muffler backing, where it mates up to the cylinders.
IMG_4668-L.jpg

IMG_4669-L.jpg

IMG_4670-L.jpg

So far, so good.
IMG_4672-L.jpg

IMG_4673-L.jpg

This is the most unique air filter I've ever seen! It's stacked metal plates.
IMG_4674-L.jpg

Here I'm removing the coils and side of the saw. I know I've got to remove the fuel tank, due to known leak issues.
IMG_4676-L.jpg

Uh oh. More trouble. This wire is broken off flush with the front coil.
IMG_4677-L.jpg

What a rats nest! Should clean up easy enough though.
IMG_4678-L.jpg

More trouble.
IMG_4679-L.jpg

It will be worth the wait. YouTube could use a few more videos of these in action. The audio is just so unique. One video from Germany sure made the saw seem aggressive:). Its a definite 6 cube club saw.

Uh oh! This isn't looking so good after all! This was certainly not expected. I know at this point that this saw is coming apart.
IMG_4687-L.jpg

IMG_4688-L.jpg

What's up with this cut out?
IMG_4690-L.jpg

Uhg. This isn't looking so good. Someone has been in here, and in here recently!
IMG_4691-L.jpg

IMG_4692-L.jpg

IMG_4693-L.jpg

What's up with the C and the arrows?
IMG_4694-L.jpg

These arrows are pointing towards the inside corners of the cylinder.
IMG_4695-L.jpg

A little studying revealed someones HUGE mistake. It's very obvious now why the last person to work on this saw could not get it running right. They bought it in this condition and were simply trying to make it run. Quite honestly, it amazes me that it ran at all. THE PISTONS WERE IN THE WRONG CYLINDERS, and they are not the same. Those cutouts are intended to clear the transfer ports in the cylinder. Instead, they were opening both the intake and exhaust ports! In effect, this would be like dropping the intake port timing by the amount of that cutout! The exhaust was free porting badly at TDC. That also meant the transfers couldn't open properly. When the saw was apart for repairs, the pistons were put back in wrong. It's no wonder this saw was sold a couple times before it made it to me. I'm just glad that I'm one to go through a saw before putting it to use. This would have caused me to pull the rest of my hair out, had I not torn the saw apart and found it.

Here I have put the pistons were they belong. Those arrows now point to the outside corners, directly at the exhaust ports. The cutouts now line up with the transfer port, both in the case, and in the cylinder.
IMG_4698-L.jpg

IMG_4699-L.jpg

See how that matches up with the transfer duct? The transfer port in the cylinder is directly above this.
IMG_4700-L.jpg

IMG_4701-L.jpg

IMG_4702-L.jpg

IMG_4703-L.jpg

All this banshee talk leads me to the Quadzilla, It may have not pulled RPMs but it surely was a monster... something about 500cc od power always gets me. .

Banshees rip and are tons of fun, but I ride lots of technical, tight trails and like the four strokes for that kind of work, just dig that low end. That being said in a pit nothing beats a banshee for sheer giggles. HOWEVER, a quadzilla 500 is just plain maniacal. Only rode one. Think I'm good.

BAck on topic I love the pics. Amazing what kind of work goes into making a unique high quality machine of any kind. Keep em coming!

Here is the damaged cylinder as received. Remember...this is macro photography. While not pretty, it makes it look worse than it is. There is no transfer and no flaking NiSi.
IMG_4707-L.jpg

IMG_4708-L.jpg

IMG_4709-L.jpg

IMG_4711-L.jpg

Here is the damaged cylinder after a little light sanding by hand. It's not perfect, but it's entirely serviceable. As shown in the compression tests above, the cylinder is in good shape where it really counts...at the top of the bore. This topend dodged a bullet!
IMG_4714-L.jpg

IMG_4716-L.jpg

IMG_4717-L.jpg

IMG_4718-L.jpg

Here is the piston after some additional cleanup work. The skirt measures within .001" of the undamaged piston.
IMG_4721-L.jpg

IMG_4723-L.jpg

IMG_4724-L.jpg

Continuing with the disassembly. These are the recoil pawls. They actually ride directly on the crankshaft.
IMG_4689-L.jpg

IMG_4726-L.jpg

Not much left here! Where in the world is the crank seal?
IMG_4727-L.jpg

IMG_4728-L.jpg

Nice beefy crank.
IMG_4729-L.jpg

IMG_4730-L.jpg

IMG_4731-L.jpg

IMG_4732-L.jpg

Where's that crank seal?
IMG_4733-L.jpg

There it is! Lol.
IMG_4734-L.jpg

IMG_4735-L.jpg

18x24x3
IMG_4737-L.jpg

Here's the flywheel side seal. 18x30x7
IMG_4738-L.jpg

IMG_4739-L.jpg

Don't loose these! There are three of these. The prevent the outer races from spinning in the crankcase.
IMG_4741-L.jpg

That's all of the pics for now. I decided to go ahead and split the crankcase in order to make sure that all seals are good and the saw will be reliable and trust worthy. I think I'm going to go ahead and powder coat it while it's apart. It only makes sense to do it now, even though I'm very anxious to get it back together and running.

While I'm certainly not happy about the P&C damage that I found, I am relieved that it is serviceable. Quite honestly, it will probably have no affect on either performance or reliability. Like I said earlier, you do what you have to do when working with old saws like this. After all, this saw is 50 years old!

Latest posts

Back