some advice before I go to my local dealer in the morning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fix him up Scott, its still under warranty from what he said...

1st off it should of HAD FRESH GAS..... The Dolmar Synthetic Oil Is RECOMMENDED it also has fuel stabilizers in it.
I tell MY Customers not to use Gas that is not older than 4 weeks and keep the container in a cool dry location

If it is under warranty Get his Local dealer to install a new piston and cylinder..... Get a new Fuel filter installed and make sure the intake ring is installed and thier is no air leak... If he can't find Joy from his local dealer I will see what I can do.

Scott

Last edited:
1st off it should of HAD FRESH GAS..... The Dolmar Synthetic Oil Is RECOMMENDED it also has fuel stabilizers in it.
I tell MY Customers not to use Gas that is not older than 4 weeks and keep the container in a cool dry location

If it is under warranty Get his Local dealer to install a new piston and cylinder..... Get a new Fuel filter installed and make sure the intake ring is installed and thier is no air leak... If he can't find Joy from his local dealer I will see what I can do.

Scott

Missing my point Scott. It obvious his dealer doesn't know what the hell he is doing, had he the scored piston would have been found. I'm saying since its under warranty and his dealer wasted his time step up and show him how those in the know do it, hell Dolmar will pay for it and you get to strut ya stuff, whatcha say??

I would take the saw back to the dealer, and say that we sent you....

Although , I am not a "professional"............... The damage looks odd.

Just take it back and act sad, dumb, and pitiful, and tell them that we told you to pull the muffler, and that they {them, that dealer} said the saw was
fine. And just go quiet, let them take it from ther, give them no extra info.

Tell them that I, Fish, a non professional chainsaw mechanic/tech said that
the piston damage looked peculiar, and something is amiss.

The line of damage, and the rest of the piston doesn't look like a normal
lean seizure/overheat.

Then again, what do I know?.....

Missing my point Scott. It obvious his dealer doesn't know what the hell he is doing, had he the scored piston would have been found. I'm saying since its under warranty and his dealer wasted his time step up and show him how those in the know do it, hell Dolmar will pay for it and you get to strut ya stuff, whatcha say??

:agree2:

Especially after hearing it was old gas...kinda and dull chain ext...

Did you tell him how and what you were cutting? If you said it don't run rite. He may have just figured this idiot has old gas, dirty filter, dull chain and out of tune. Tune it in with fresh gas and it ran fine even with the scoring so they dealer might not be completely at fault.

You'd think the dealer would have taken 5 min. to look at the piston ?:confused:
I'm not a pro. but I think that's the 1st thing I would have done.

How much does a p&c cost for one of these ? Just curious.

14,400 is a tad lean for a stocker in my opinion depending on your altitude. Muffler mod and you'll be ok with those numbers. Ported, and you're just starting to tune on the rich side.

I'm assuming your dealer is not a saw shop. Or for that matter a lawnmower shop as I'm sure they would have pulled the muffler. That does not take long at all as you have seen.

In essence, take/send it to someone who knows what they are doing if you want your work saw to last.

14,400 is a tad lean for a stocker in my opinion depending on your altitude.
But it says 14,500 right on the cover ! lol
Seriously. I don't think 14,400 is unreasonable if Dolmar says 14,500. Last time I checked mine was at 14,200 and I left it there.

Dolmar Dealers in East TN are very few, especially having full service with a qualified chainsaw tech. Just wondering were the OP's dealer is located here. I called all the Dolmar website's phantom dealears within 50 miles of Knoxville and found none that actually sell and service chainsaws.

But it says 14,500 right on the cover ! lol
Seriously. I don't think 14,400 is unreasonable if Dolmar says 14,500. Last time I checked mine was at 14,200 and I left it there.

Is that right? Well....why don't you turn your H till it hits 14,500 (like Dolmar says) and then report back to us:)

I forgot to add...make some long sustained cuts on hardwood or exactly how the op cut his splits...then report back to us:hmm3grin2orange:

Look at the piston again.

Old/stale gas and the piston would be brown and nasty, at least somewhere.

For one side to have all that damage, and the next millimeter over, look like brand new the rest of the way, no signs of heat or anything.....

Doesn't look normal at all.

Look at it again, maybe we can get a better pic too, like of the ring area and top....

But what would I know.....?????

Look at the piston again.

Old/stale gas and the piston would be brown and nasty, at least somewhere.

For one side to have all that damage, and the next millimeter over, look like brand new the rest of the way, no signs of heat or anything.....

Doesn't look normal at all.

Look at it again, maybe we can get a better pic too, like of the ring area and top....

But what would I know.....?????

i find myself wondering if the damaged side of the piston was on the 'down-side' of the saw while he made his sustained sideways cut.

what would that mean?

Would that be an indication of something physically causing the gouges, and not a heat failure?

Without any more pics, etc., it is hard to say much.

He was wanting advice on how to handle this situation, that is why I
suggesting he just go in and lay it out, let the Dolmar gang look at it.

If he gets some good pics, I will talk to the guys at Dolmar Thursday.

But a tear down, by a dealer, would be the next step.

At least some better piston pics.

Is that right? Well....why don't you turn your H till it hits 14,500 (like Dolmar says) and then report back to us:)
LOL. I thought 14,200 was giving myself a good margin of safety. You made me nervous so I just went and pulled my muffler (for the 1st time ever). All is well. :clap: Would you richen it more than 14,200 ? I need to get a tach.
I like my 5100s (from cuttinscott). I hope the OP gets his squared away so the masses don't have another reason to bash this saw and it's "dealer network".

Last edited:
No "bashing", just think he needs to have Dolmar look at it.
Their quality is "Topnotch".

I didn't mean you. I meant the guys that "know of 23 in my area that blew up." LOL

LOL. I thought 14,200 was giving myself a good margin of safety:) You made me nervous so I just went and pulled my muffler (for the 1st time ever). All is well. :clap: Would you richen it more than 14,200 ? I need to get a tach.
I like my 5100s (from cuttinscott). I hope the OP gets his squared away so the masses don't have another reason to bash this saw and it's "dealer network".

I wouldn't on a stock saw unless it at least had a muffler mod to let it run a bit cooler.

FWIW to the OP. I would just take it back to the dealer and say it still doesn't run right. I wouldn't give them any other info, just play dumb. give them a chance to make it right.

Latest posts

Back