Some people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Reaction score
Last Monday I was bucking some logs I'd been wanting to get cut up. I started at 9am and planned on cutting until it started getting hot. At 9:30, I noticed a Lexus SUV coming down the slightly improved logging road I call a driveway. The occupant, a middle aged woman pulled up, got out and started blasting me for disrupting her solitude.
Over the summer, she and her husband had built a weekend getaway on a piece of property adjoining my 150 acres. She has 20 acres but built her house about 50' off of my property line. My wood processing area is about 300yds from her house.
She explained that she had built this weekend place to escape civilization and the incessant noise from my sawing wood would not be tolerated.
I didn't know what to say, my initial reaction was to tell her to go f' herself but I decided to try and reason with her instead, Not one of my better decisions. I tried to explain that I heated with wood and cutting was necessary to keep my house warm. She suggested I get a better job so I could afford electric heat, like the rest of the civilized world. She also suggested that I build a new access to my house because the dust from me driving on my road was creating dust problems for her. At that point I realized that trying to reason with this woman was a lost cause.
I packed up my saws and headed home.
Yesterday, I was talking to one of the other neighbors who told me that this coming weekend, this woman and her husband are having a few other couples out for the weekend to "decompress."
Sounds like a good time for a night shoot. I recently put up lights on my range.
I think I'll even invite my buddy, the Sheriff, he likes shooting at night.
Early Sat and Sun morning will be the perfect time to finish bucking those logs, if it's nice out, I might cut all day.
My wife wants to drop in the next time this couple is out and invite them over for a drink.
Good idea dear, let me know how that works out.
Too bad, I'm fresh out of Hemlock.

Im picturing some 60 something white hair female in a pink tracksuit that is too tight for her 5 foot tall 260 pound frame.... with a very small quiet husband

I would guess mid to late 40's, skinny, with a boob job.

Needs a lobotomy.

I'll be #######ed if some lady had the nerve to drive up on my property and then proceed to tell me what I could or could not do on said property! She and her husband decided to build a house only a stones throw away and then ##### and moan about you cutting up wood?? As much as I hate to say it, there will be no truce between you and her. You'll cut, she'll call the cops and complain, you'll have to explain yourself to the police when they arrive. They'll drive off and the whole process will repeat itself. Good thing your buddy is a sheriff.

There is no good way to deal with city slickers who move to the country ( not trying ruffel any feathers here) for solitude. They forgot to look up the definition of the word for starters and then think that every amenity that was available in the city should be at there door step. Over the years, here in suburbia, I have had some real classics. Just got a new set to my west, do not know how that is going playout yet. Have one that was a constant pain about some big willows always #####in about sticks leaves ect. The willows are all gone now( that was a lot of work), yep you guessed it now they are #####in about the sun in the afternoon that those trees used to block. Told him to plant his own, on his property. Ones across the street think that the back side of my place is a good dumping zone for their yard waste (conservancy area behind me) The 90ft long 5' high 4ft deep split fire wood fence should correct that difficulty ( yard waste dumping on city property is a ordinance violation ). They will likely ##### about my firewood(30 + cord stacked along the back property line which will block their access to their favorite dumping zone) It's called passive resistance. No confrontations. As my heritage is Russian/German it is not a particularly good idea to tick off the good humor man.Got a long fuse, Mt St Hellens on the end of it though.

Must not have been a big place if it only took the summer to build. They ought to put the wheels back on it and move to the other side of their 20 acres.

I wouldn't wait, confront them right away, as you plan to.

Lack of planning and proper preliminary investigation caused them to be that close, but she has no argument with any validity.

Remind them you are full time, its your HOME. And they are part timers- If they want someone they can trust to call in case of emergency, they need to suck it up. If they want someone who doens't give a #### if their house has storm damage, keep complaining.

Move your driveway?

Your sawing wood would not be tolerated?

"I have a potty mouth" should have been the FIRST thing you replied.

PLEASE work like the proverbial squirrel this weekend and get your things ready for winter- go out of your way to cut wood and grade your driveway a few times too. Absolutely do whatever necessary for them to want to come on your property to rant at you, and tell them in no short order, "This is what I do on my land, what you want is what you want, but You have no chance at me fulfilling your WANTs, if it isn't matching your WANTS or NEEDS. "

I'd get on top of this right away.

Please keep us informed.

I thought people from Mo. were already decompressed. The's one fella here at work (Near Ground Zero) from Mo., real nice, friendly, extremely conservative country boy. The Yupster you described could have been from the suburbs of D.C., or Md., but guess they are all the same, 'cept that instead of the Lexus, it would have been a Marcedes Beenz or Infiniti SUV..... Ain't America grand?

After being told to get electricity I would do just that, get a long extension cord and stop over and ask if you can plug in your electric chainsaw to them.

Being a nice neighbour and all you decided to go with electric for them :)

If that isn't acceptable then the words GET BENT or CLOSE YOUR WINDOWS while I'm sawing should work. LOL

Last edited:
Invite her to get herself a chainsaw, and come join in some real fun..... Mention that 3 can be more fun than 2. She may very well enjoy it. :)

Just a thought. I know it's easier to coach from the sidelines than the battlefield.

Tarry on.

You should have just started your chain saw, turned away and commenced to cutting.

I can't stand it when city people move out to the country, get involved with the town board, and proceed to mess up all the things that make country living so great. These people can't see past the end of their own noses. I'm not exactly thrilled when my neighbor spreads liquid manure on the fields around me, but hey, I new what I was getting into when I moved out here. Could you just imagine some idiot like her running out in a field and stopping a farmer with his s##t spreader or his noisy combine and coming out with that BS?

BTW, I don't know about you, but I have all my chainsaws muffler modded. I see you've been here on AS for awhile, but if you haven't done so already, do a little research over on the chainsaw forum have at it. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

First mistake you made was stopping and packing up. As soon as she got in her yuppie machine, saw should have been fired back up. Then give her your goofiest smile with a big wave, right before diving into the next cut. Since you stopped, she now thinks she can intimidate you.

Does anyone else sense a MO GTG coming soon?

Trespassing,

If you haven't already, post your property lines. In the event of another confrontation on your property simply and politely ask her to leave and point out to the "lady" she is trespassing and any further violations will result in you contacting the local authorities. Take pics of her and her car with your phone or a digital camera. After the second or third call to the authorities, they will get sick of the BS, and arrest her on multiple charges, preferably in front of her friends while "decompressing".

Get some red, pink, and yellow surveyor's tape and start marking off "lots". If she shows up again just tell her not to worry, once the developer starts the sub-division you're planning on the XX number of acres adjoining her property she probably won't hear your saws at all.

I doubt there is one since it sounds very rural, but give your sheriff buddy a call and ask about any local or state noise ordinances. Some communities ban use of OPE between certain hours of the day. If none exist, it sounds like a dawn to ?? GTG may be in order.

Take Care

One saturday morning the neighbor two houses north had a couple guys sawing and pounding nails at 8:30am.

Neighbor lady one house north comes out (was outside drinking and making noise herself the night before)
and #####es at the workers about the noise.

They calmly told her it was 8:30 am and they could make all the noise they needed to complete the project, and then suggested that she go "pound sand" :laugh:

It's always the best policy to get along with the neighbors until they cross the line on what is reasonable.

This is real close to crossing that line.

I would let this cool a bit, then diplomatically ask them if they want to discuss this further. Make initial contact via telephone and set up meeting over a beer in afternoon, or coffee in themorning. If they decline, then tell them to pound sand and start promptly at 8am diligently.

You can not, and will not ever reason with a condescending, arrogant snob like her. You have a long unpleasant battle ahead of you I'm afraid. Your shooting range- a few smashed bottles on the rocks and some errant fireworks might convince her to re-think her choice of location.:D

Latest posts

Back