Some thoughts for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ticket is the full seran wrap lower. You put on your long socks, then the johns. You sit down and start wraping at the foot, up your calf part and part of the thigh (think wraping yourself up for game day). Combine that with a trash bag with no sleeves for the upper and your set! Throw on your regular riggin clothes over it, and you are flexible and dry for about an hour. Either the steam gets you first or you stay reasonably dry, depending on what mil saran wrap you have. You probably wouldn't doubt it if I did this, but I am only making a suggestion for a maybe-I-need tin pants day.

The ticket is the full seran wrap lower. You put on your long socks, then the johns. You sit down and start wraping at the foot, up your calf part and part of the thigh (think wraping yourself up for game day). Combine that with a trash bag with no sleeves for the upper and your set! Throw on your regular riggin clothes over it, and you are flexible and dry for about an hour. Either the steam gets you first or you stay reasonably dry, depending on what mil saran wrap you have. You probably wouldn't doubt it if I did this, but I am only making a suggestion for a maybe-I-need tin pants day.

i would keel over and turn to mush if i did that

I'll add to #3... "Always be wary of and old timer still working in a profession where most die young..."

Great post Burv' ol' buddy...

Gary

ROFL...does that mean that you younger guys buy the coffee and donuts on the way to the woods in the morning? Kind of like "Geez, let's stop and get the old guy some coffee...maybe he'll start talking. Or at least he'll quit growling, anyway".

All gray hair, wrinkles, and a set of worn out calks really mean is that you've been both good...and lucky. Sometimes it takes a whole lot of both.

Gotta go sneak up on a few trees. :cheers:

ROFL...does that mean that you younger guys buy the coffee and donuts on the way to the woods in the morning? Kind of like "Geez, let's stop and get the old guy some coffee...maybe he'll start talking. Or at least he'll quit growling, anyway".

All gray hair, wrinkles, and a set of worn out calks really mean is that you've been both good...and lucky. Sometimes it takes a whole lot of both.

Gotta go sneak up on a few trees. :cheers:

Kind of like my Dad asking what I brought him everyday when we were cutting together. Of course, my father and all, I feel guilty even though he's just giving me ****, so I share my leftover pizza, chicken legs, ect. You old timers can work the free angle both ways: I'm old and wise, give me ****, or I'm old and mean, give me ****.

That's half the guys out there now! So I guess I better not get out of the truck! :)

Whoa!!! Hold up here. It's 4:27 in the morning and I am having coffee and getting ready to go to work. I'd like to think that I'll be able to come back to AS tonight. My dad told me once, "You don't have to get hurt doing this" and I have taken his advice to heart. Been stitched up and to the ER for some other smaller stuff, but I'd like to believe that he's right. Bad habits are hard to break. Good safe practices can become set in stone in your ways when you practice, practice, practice. Yes, I know this is dangerous, we all know. Hell, I watched a massive limb (4-5" and 20' long) come down off to the side of a hammer I cut yesterday. I thought, "your dead" that's why you run like hell off that stump. Not only that, but there is a list a mile long. Bob, your right there's a little of both involved. I just always focus on what's going on in the whole picture, but also the SEQUENCE of falling timber. Bingo! That will save you work, your time, your life. Learning how to properly pick apart a stand of timber will benefit you to no end.

I can see how it could take care of several problems. One, help to reduce one's PSI through sweatation, Two, I'd have the bad leg prewrapped so maybe it would hold together during those RUN AWAY times, and three, when the hooktender breaks the windshield on the shovel, I could just unwrap and hand them the plastic. Good idea. :clap:

I can't think of a single cutter that I know over the age of 50 that hasn't been to the hospital at least once, including me.

Its dangerous.

Whoa!!! Hold up here. It's 4:27 in the morning and I am having coffee and getting ready to go to work. I'd like to think that I'll be able to come back to AS tonight. My dad told me once, "You don't have to get hurt doing this" and I have taken his advice to heart. Been stitched up and to the ER for some other smaller stuff, but I'd like to believe that he's right. Bad habits are hard to break. Good safe practices can become set in stone in your ways when you practice, practice, practice. Yes, I know this is dangerous, we all know. Hell, I watched a massive limb (4-5" and 20' long) come down off to the side of a hammer I cut yesterday. I thought, "your dead" that's why you run like hell off that stump. Not only that, but there is a list a mile long. Bob, your right there's a little of both involved. I just always focus on what's going on in the whole picture, but also the SEQUENCE of falling timber. Bingo! That will save you work, your time, your life. Learning how to properly pick apart a stand of timber will benefit you to no end.[/QUOTE]

+1 .....Burvol.....There are old fallers and there a bold fallers, but there are no old, bold fallers. You don't live to be an old logger by being stupid!

Good post!

Everything worth doing has risk. So, you can try to control it as best you can and go forth, or stay in bed where you might get crushed in an earthquake or by a meteor. That's my philosophy.

Well, I'll help turn this into a snow thread. I woke up because it was totally quiet. There's about 2 inches of gloppy stuff on the ground and coming down good. I need to check and see if maybe the pass is closed? I live close to the highway. Power is on, and I only see one branch from the few wind gusts down. Not much of a storm here.

Well, I'll help turn this into a snow thread. I woke up because it was totally quiet. There's about 2 inches of gloppy stuff on the ground and coming down good. I need to check and see if maybe the pass is closed? I live close to the highway. Power is on, and I only see one branch from the few wind gusts down. Not much of a storm here.

They're calling for snow down to 1000 feet in our neighborhood for tonight. We need it. Our lakes and resevoirs are at the lowest point in many years.

This would be a good year to get snowed out of the woods early. All the mills have full decks and nobody is buying lumber...might as well go on vacation for a while. I'm ready :laugh:

They're calling for snow down to 1000 feet in our neighborhood for tonight. We need it. Our lakes and resevoirs are at the lowest point in many years.

This would be a good year to get snowed out of the woods early. All the mills have full decks and nobody is buying lumber...might as well go on vacation for a while. I'm ready :laugh:

Oh man Bob, no way! I want a cold, dry winter. Export Doug Fir is like gold right now. Just went up again. Not positive, but the stuff with ring count is worth around 1,100 a thou right now! We're going until we absolutly can't. I had a bad year, all kinds of stuff came up, and Lindsey was really sick for 4-5 months again (poor girl, I love that woman) so I'm trying like hell to make some money before 6-8 feet pile up there. Plus I have to take her to Portland for surgery on the 17th, so I will be gone for three days next week as well.

Latest posts

Back