Some thoughts for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just phoned friends who live here but at about 1200 feet, and they have around a foot. There's only three inches here but I just SHOVED it off the car, it isn't sweepable. Concrete crud. I don't think I want to work in it yet, seems like it just melted! BAH Whine etc. :bang:

Oh man Bob, no way! I want a cold, dry winter. Export Doug Fir is like gold right now. Just went up again. Not positive, but the stuff with ring count is worth around 1,100 a thou right now! We're going until we absolutly can't. I had a bad year, all kinds of stuff came up, and Lindsey was really sick for 4-5 months again (poor girl, I love that woman) so I'm trying like hell to make some money before 6-8 feet pile up there. Plus I have to take her to Portland for surgery on the 17th, so I will be gone for three days next week as well.

$1,100/mbf? Wow I hope you guys are making money.

Oh man Bob, no way! I want a cold, dry winter. Export Doug Fir is like gold right now. Just went up again. Not positive, but the stuff with ring count is worth around 1,100 a thou right now! We're going until we absolutly can't. I had a bad year, all kinds of stuff came up, and Lindsey was really sick for 4-5 months again (poor girl, I love that woman) so I'm trying like hell to make some money before 6-8 feet pile up there. Plus I have to take her to Portland for surgery on the 17th, so I will be gone for three days next week as well.
We have an export yard few miles down the road loading logs into 40' cargo containers goin balls to the wall actually shipping some of the biggest and best logs i have seen in a long time.

Well, I'll help turn this into a snow thread. I woke up because it was totally quiet. There's about 2 inches of gloppy stuff on the ground and coming down good. I need to check and see if maybe the pass is closed? I live close to the highway. Power is on, and I only see one branch from the few wind gusts down. Not much of a storm here.
Beautiful white morning here only about 31/2-4 inches but still snowing we live about 1050':blob2:

We have an export yard few miles down the road loading logs into 40' cargo containers goin balls to the wall actually shipping some of the biggest and best logs i have seen in a long time.

Funny how nice logs come out of the woodwork when the price goes up huh? There is SO much gorgeous fir where I'm at. I'm so grateful to cut nice logs. Damn, it's really nice. Most of it I'm pulling either 2 gorgeous 36's, a 40 & 36, or two 36's and a 26 or 30, all export with these lengths having a domestic piece left in the top. Tall, nice timber. The smaller stuff in there I just pop a 40 (40 x 10-15") off of, and let the proccessor get what they can out of the rest. Some of the smaller stuff has snowbreak or defect after that, so it's a nice 40, or 2 shorts, depending on if it's over 54 feet to the defect. The price is the same for shorts! There is still average length requirements, or it would be a mule train's dream! (short logger)

Last edited:
Beautiful white morning here only about 31/2-4 inches but still snowing we live about 1050':blob2:

We're getting your storm right now... 4-5 inches so far, blowing and drifting... 10 degrees. By tomorrow night, we're supposed to see -20 mean temp.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Slowp, I'm taking it back to logging now. No more thread hijacking!!!;)

Ahhh, the natural evolution of conversation... Always seems to rabbit trail on you! LOL

Burvol, you getting paid an hourly rate, piece work?.. Just curious.

I know some fellas here that were getting paid by the cut. Usually 3-4 per tree (depending on the tree).

One cut to fall, one for the butt log, and one or two for the top (I think some mills are taking down to 4" tops now).

When I was in the woods some years ago, it was 5" tops.

Last time I cut for pay was 8" at min 20Ft lenght but that was years ago back when they called 20" dbh p*ckerpoles

I can't recall the scale off hand, but the smallest was around 8'-6" with a 5" top... Sure leaves a lot less wood to rot on the ground.

I remember one day, the forester made us pull the yarder guys, and go back 6 sets to mainline an 8 footer to the road... The boss was pizzed.

Waste not want not.

They're doing the 'baling' here now of limbs and tops for pulp. One of the logging companies bought a John Deere machine that does all that baling. It'll be a couple of years before it pays for itself but you should see the ground after- it's almost too clean. You need some slash for soil stabilization and returning nutrients into the ground.

They're doing the 'baling' here now of limbs and tops for pulp. One of the logging companies bought a John Deere machine that does all that baling. It'll be a couple of years before it pays for itself but you should see the ground after- it's almost too clean. You need some slash for soil stabilization and returning nutrients into the ground.

...and habitat for critters...

Gary

Some of the smallest logs I'm making for export are the one length tree fourties that are 10-18". They taper too much after that buck or they are defect above it. There was a solid week last month that I cut probably 10 trees a day that had a 36 that was anywhere from 22-30" at the buck...nice stuff. 18-22" at the second cut. I only had three trees like that yesterday, but tons of 36 x 16-20" at the first buck. Nice logs!!!

...and habitat for critters...

Gary

Yep, rats need a place to hide too!

Some of the smallest logs I'm making for export are the one length tree fourties that are 10-18". They taper too much after that buck or they are defect above it. There was a solid week last month that I cut probably 10 trees a day that had a 36 that was anywhere from 22-30" at the buck...nice stuff. 18-22" at the second cut. I only had three trees like that yesterday, but tons of 36 x 16-20" at the first buck. Nice logs!!!

Man J, that's nice. I'm jealous.:yourock:

Up here, we call that being 'in the juice'. I'd log that all day long compared to 12"-14" DBH... Takes too much dang wood yarded to make a load.

Up here, we call that being 'in the juice'. I'd log that all day long compared to 12"-14" DBH... Takes too much dang wood yarded to make a load.

and less saw in the wood - the faller is holding the weight of the saw more compared to 24" and up

3. Leave the old timers alone. They didn't get that far in the business from being hacks and/or ignorant.

Come on, Gologit is just an old fart. Who am I supposed to annoy? I guess there is always Gary and oil threads.

Good post Burvol, tried to rep but couldn't. AS is a great community except for a few. Stay out of the political forum and your life will be much better.

I like the utilization concept a lot, however those stupid deer here eat all the re-gen @ an alarming rate. Need the tops and brush 2 lay 4 many reasons. Also we don't have the fire problems here.

Back