Some thoughts for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and less saw in the wood - the faller is holding the weight of the saw more compared to 24" and up

Yes it is true, but my powerhead is usually sucked in pretty tight on it's own. When you go to long butt a big log with a really hot square chain it's fun to just let the power head suck up and slide down on it's own. Those really good chains that you have, that all have the same amount on the cutters, rakers just right, and the gullets out, they fly. I don't like my rakers so low that when you dog into the face cut the saw hops and whines (too grabby wha wah wah wah), but I like it to pull good.

Come on, Gologit is just an old fart. Who am I supposed to annoy? I guess there is always Gary and oil threads.

Good post Burvol, tried to rep but couldn't. AS is a great community except for a few. Stay out of the political forum and your life will be much better.

:ices_rofl: You're right, I am an old fart. And if you pay careful attention and follow my example maybe you'll live to be an old fart too. Maybe not, though, on second thought. Anybody that spent five years in high school and four years in college and still can't grow a decent potato might be beyond help.

Hey Burvol...sorry for the thread hi-jack. Sometimes you just gotta whack these kids around a little. Keeps them in their place...which in PBio's case is probably in the back of the crummy with the saws and gas cans and such.

Maybe I'm turning into an old fart, here I am at 4 something in the moring up and at em on Sunday. :dizzy:

Maybe I'm turning into an old fart, here I am at 4 something in the moring up and at em on Sunday. :dizzy:

Welcome. I did sleep in till 6 last weekend. I think of myself as a fartess though. It just sounds nicer. I'm having to fight the dog over kindling, or at least yell at him. He wants to chew it up. Oops, back to trees. There'll be some snowplowing going on today or tomorrow to get to the trees.

Up here, we call that being 'in the juice'. I'd log that all day long compared to 12"-14" DBH... Takes too much dang wood yarded to make a load.

We call it cuttin gravy. Usually means you're in a hollow, not too steep, and covered up in poplar.

:ices_rofl: You're right, I am an old fart. And if you pay careful attention and follow my example maybe you'll live to be an old fart too. Maybe not, though, on second thought. Anybody that spent five years in high school and four years in college and still can't grow a decent potato might be beyond help.

Hey Burvol...sorry for the thread hi-jack. Sometimes you just gotta whack these kids around a little. Keeps them in their place...which in PBio's case is probably in the back of the crummy with the saws and gas cans and such.

HAHAHA!!!! Four years of college? Try 6 going on 7 years with 2 degrees working on the 3rd. Professional student. Just call me D ick tater. :cheers:

HAHAHA!!!! Four years of college? Try 6 going on 7 years with 2 degrees working on the 3rd. Professional student. Just call me D ick tater. :cheers:

How much of the 6 years was spent researching your other degree?.. You know, 'Beer and it's effects on my wallet.' ;)

"Being in the Juice", I like that. I call them pumpkins, and the really big bastards are hammers. Instead of being in the Juice, I call mowing down a big stand "Slaying the Mother" (That is copyrighted by Burvol inc.not to be used, televised, or printed with out permission).

"Being in the Juice", I like that. I call them pumpkins, and the really big bastards are hammers. Instead of being in the Juice, I call mowing down a big stand "Slaying the Mother" (That is copyrighted by Burvol inc.not to be used, televised, or printed with out permission).

Slaying the mother?.. AWESOME! LOL :bowdown:

Derived from Mother Earth?

Yeah, an example of the 'juice' thing would be... "Man, this stand of fir is cr@p! Takes 200 trees to get a load! Not like being in the juice!"

OR

"Man, this set is juice... One tree turns baby!!"

Hmmmm, is that why, when the fire crew guys showed up to "help" a guy and me clear a 5' punkin out of the road, they stood around and yelled JUICE as he cut and I hit the wedges in? They yelled it several times until we finally hinted nicely that they might start cutting on the other side of the road.

Logging vocab is too funny!

We also had:

Brush-wheels-- One's ability to run through thick timber and brush while pulling mainline, or while running to hook the next turn.

Stump Fuc**r-- A slacker or someone who's slow.

Designated Bear Corridor-- A 100' wide unit of timer left undisturbed for the Grizzly Bears to use for travel... Also known as "the place the Grizzly Bears avoid." You always saw them walking on the logging roads instead... Weird? :monkey:

Crummy-- I think we all know what that truck is.

Brown Eye--Name given to a service truck that was always breaking down, horrible on fuel, and beat to he11... The term refers to the center area of a persons bottom.

What else y'all got?

Hmmmm, is that why, when the fire crew guys showed up to "help" a guy and me clear a 5' punkin out of the road, they stood around and yelled JUICE as he cut and I hit the wedges in? They yelled it several times until we finally hinted nicely that they might start cutting on the other side of the road.

Slowp... It sounds like they were just thirsty. ;)

Logging vocab is too funny!

We also had:

Brush-wheels-- One's ability to run through thick timber and brush while pulling mainline, or while running to hook the next turn.

Stump Fuc**r-- A slacker or someone who's slow.

Designated Bear Corridor-- A 100' wide unit of timer left undisturbed for the Grizzly Bears to use for travel... Also known as "the place the Grizzly Bears avoid." You always saw them walking on the logging roads instead... Weird? :monkey:

Crummy-- I think we all know what that truck is.

Brown Eye--Name given to a service truck that was always breaking down, horrible on fuel, and beat to he11... The term refers to the center area of a persons bottom.

What else y'all got?

Chasers and the like are landing rats. Kinda mean, but it works. They're either running hard looking for a big piece of cheese (wood) or they're hiding out.

Chasers and the like are landing rats. Kinda mean, but it works. They're either running hard looking for a big piece of cheese (wood) or they're hiding out.

Doah!! You just reminded me of another one!!

Cab Rat-- Any operator of a yarder, skidder, processor, or the like... A seclusive breed, rarely seen outside it's natural habitat... Except at lunch and quitting time. ;)

EDIT: Seventh Circle of He11-- Any hillside burdened heavily in U-brush, red willow, Mountain Ash, etc.

Last edited:
  • I call a big tree a "hooter" or "big f**king tree"
  • my work truck is the "loggin' wagon"
  • my harley is the "two wheeled death machine"
  • i refer to the guy running the skidder as the "skidderman"
  • other people refer to my chainsaws as "supped up hot rods"

I like to keep things simple

Skool of hard knocks... :)

Tip for new chasers... When you're learnin', and following the lead chaser, when he jumps, you jump... when he ducks you duck... when he dodges behind a stump/tree, you dodge behind same... if he hauls ass outta the area, you better be on his heels, or they will be makin' a phone call to your momma, tellin' her that you got caught in the turn because you were too slow...

The old saw boss "Buck" Thomas used to tell all the new guys... "Look here Rook'... I'm 60 years old... you're what? 19? If'n you don't beat me on this landin'/sidehill/chasin'... you gots no business bein' in the woods."

Ol' Buck is gone now... but I hold a lot of respect for that "old fart"... He had forgot more than I will ever know. Thanks Buck... R.I.P. buddy :)

One more... If you decide to mess around and play some kind of practical joke on one of the "old guys"... be prepared. 'Cuz it's comin' back at ya... 10 times worse. :laugh:

Don't ask me how I know... :)

Gary

Last edited:
A Coon ##### (slang for penis) is a large spike knot that tried to be a top, growing out of the side of a conifer.

Skool of hard knocks... :)

Tip for new chasers... When you're learnin', and following the lead chaser, when he jumps, you jump... when he ducks you duck... when he dodges behind a stump/tree, you dodge behind same... if he hauls ass outta the area, you better be on his heels, or they will be makin' a phone call to your momma, tellin' her that you got caught in the turn because you were too slow...

The old saw boss "Buck" Thomas used to tell all the new guys... "Look here Rook'... I'm 60 years old... you're what? 19? If'n you don't beat me on this landin'/sidehill/chasin'... you gots no business bein' in the woods."

Ol' Buck is gone now... but I hold a lot of respect for that "old fart"... He had forgot more than I will ever know. Thanks Buck... R.I.P. buddy :)

One more... If you decide to mess around and play some kind of practical joke on one of the "old guys"... be prepared. 'Cuz it's comin' back at ya... 10 times worse. :laugh:

Don't ask me how I know... :)

Gary

Yup... Learn from the guys with experience, or be prepared to die, or lose something dear to you... Like an arm.:cheers:

• I call a big tree a "hooter" or "big f**king tree"
  • my work truck is the "loggin' wagon"
  • my harley is the "two wheeled death machine"
  • i refer to the guy running the skidder as the "skidderman"
  • other people refer to my chainsaws as "supped up hot rods"

I like to keep things simple

Bwahahahahahaha! :ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back