Split 1 Cord of Douglas Fir with A Fiskars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just think how effective a 6lbs fiskars would be with a 36" handle.
Hell, the op could prolly split 2 cords in 15 minutes with such a weapon.
Rounds would just quiver and split when they saw such a tool coming for them. I guess one would have to step up to the Stihl splitting axe to have such an effective weapon. My stihl dealer swears fiskars makes the Stihl splitting maul and splitting axe. I wonder if the price of those keeps most people away?
The short handle keeps me away from the current super splitter, they need to make one for taller people.

Rounds would just quiver and split when they saw such a tool coming for them. I guess one would have to step up to the Stihl splitting axe to have such an effective weapon. My stihl dealer swears fiskars makes the Stihl splitting maul and splitting axe. I wonder if the price of those keeps most people away?
The short handle keeps me away from the current super splitter, they need to make one for taller people.

They are supposedly making a longer-handled one, but I'm wondering if the longer handle will take away some of the easy-swinging magic of it.

HERE A STIHL FISKAR
HARD TO FIND FROM WHAT I HERE

attachment.php

I got suckered in on a post just like this, to buy one of these Super things!! I gave mine away to a friend who has now passed it on to another to Stop the waste of money. I am sorry to be a downer on your post but I truly don't like them. The handle is way too short and I am only 6 foot. I understand maybe you are supposed to lift the wood to another piece but that is a waste of time. I would suggest the Stihl PA-80 @ 6.6 lbs, this maul just swings better, actually the best. I would guess that I hand spilt 30-40 face a year easy of white/red oak, ash, elm and others.

attachment.php

Once again sorry to rain on your thread(OP) but I am only trying to educate others.

For a felling axe I liked the PA-100 till I lost it recently. Just about shed a tear when I finally realized it was gone. Pretty hard to replace for a $100 though.

attachment.php

I'm guessing he sets a cord's worth of rounds on the ground, puts a big@$$ bungie cord around 'em , and walks down the line swinging like mad. No way to do it in 10 minutes if you have to handle the wood, but totally do-able if the wood don't need to be moved.

Guy on youtube does the bungie thing. Pretty smart, actually.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WoAOYLMU1Wc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That looks like the 24" chopping axe, the modern version of the 3/4 axe, or boy's axe as it was known. I have the Fiskars 24, and it absolutely sucks at splitting.

Chopping is another story. It does not remotely suck at chopping. It chops like crazy for a little axe, and it's light enough to use one handed. I even drive wedges with mine, although you have to work at it a bit. I was thinking i might turn the plastic carrier thingy into a belt holster, carry the axe head-down in the small of my back.

I've been using the super splitter 3 years now, it's still very very sharp, and it still works exceptionally well on the things it works well on, if you know what I mean. There's certain logs that just need a bigger maul, or wedges, or noodling, but the FSS handles everything up to that point very well indeed, and it's a joy to swing.

They sell a 24" splitting axe, as well as a 28". Both are lighter and less flared than the super version. I think they even have a 17" splitter to keep near the fire.

I'm sold. For thirty something bucks, these things cut and split like nobody's business. Just don't expect a sub-5 pound splitting axe to do the work of a 8 or 14 pound maul, and you'll be happy. Just leave the bigger tools for the logs that really need them.

I'm 6'2", BTW, and like the length fine, I just like the round about 30 or so inches up, so I split on another round when I'm doing shorts.

Yes it a 3/4 choping ax with a 18 inch handle it was a gift
dose not get used
i have 2 other fiskars, 28 inch pro spliting ax and super spliting ax

Yes it a 3/4 choping ax with a 18 inch handle it was a gift
dose not get used
i have 2 other fiskars, 28 inch pro spliting ax and super spliting ax

What's your opinion of the pro splitting axe? I almost plled the trigger on one, but decided to wait for the 36" SS, if it really exists.

yes, but that one is far from the "super splitter", it is a much lighter one, and not a splitting axe! ;)

yes, but indiansprings posted he had heard that stihl and fiskars had an ax out there and i just wanted to show that there was at least an choping ax out there
it made a little better than reglar fiskar ax it has a black coating thats very simlar to a real good non stick pan

The Stihl PA-80 is what I'm talking about, it's one fine looking piece of equipment, my dealer is 65.00 on one of them. He claims it is made by fiskars.
I'm going to invest in one this year just to see if there is any improvement over the traditional 6 and 8 lbs hickory handle splitting maul. I really like the head on the PA-80.

what's your opinion of the pro splitting axe? I almost plled the trigger on one, but decided to wait for the 36" ss, if it really exists.

i use the 28" pro splitng ax more then ss
im 5'-10" 200 lbs avg. Strenth and cut hard maple into 18" long
16"-20" rounds, green and it blows them apart 12-16" rounds you can swing with one hand and split them
over 24" rounds or dry twisted knotty wood or stump bases of trees break out ss or maul and sledge

yes, but indiansprings posted he had heard that stihl and fiskars had an ax out there and i just wanted to show that there was at least an choping ax out there
it made a little better than reglar fiskar ax it has a black coating thats very simlar to a real good non stick pan

All Fiskars axes have the teflon coat here, are you saying that the don't in the US??? :jawdrop:

all fiskars axes have the teflon coat here, are you saying that the don't in the us??? :jawdrop:

my fiskars all came with a gray coating that wore off about 1 cord in ,clean wood on a clean 2 foot high clean oak sump i use for spliting
the black coating on the stihl fiskar ax feels and looks much different

All Fiskars axes have the teflon coat here, are you saying that the don't in the US??? :jawdrop:

Every Fiskars axe I have seen has the gray nonstick coating. I've worn most of it off my SS. That Stihl version looks the same as the Fiskars.

I've seen the Stihl PA-80 at the dealer, it bears no resemblance to the Fiskars, other than the winged/flared shape of the head is similar. It seems to me that Fiskars is heavily invested in whatever their technology is for molding the handle around the head, I don't imagine they would use entirely different manufacturing processes in order subcontract one tool for a competitor.

my fiskars all came with a gray coating that wore off about 1 cord in ,clean wood on a clean 2 foot high clean oak sump i use for spliting
the black coating on the stihl fiskar ax feels and looks much different

How much of it actually wore off? :confused:

Two of mine (one SS) are more than 10 years old, and the teflon finish still are wore off only where they contact the wood!

Last edited:
how much of it actually wore off? :confused:

Two of mine (one ss) are more than 10 years old, and the teflon finish still are wore off only where they contact the wood!

all the way up the flared out wings i'd say 2.5 inches up the pro
and 1" up the ss

This guy is insane! Insane to even want to try to do it. I don't think it could be done under normal conditions. Maybe if you had peoplle setting it up for you. Or if two people were passing the maul back and forth when one gets tired. You'd be alot more man than I if you could split a cord without resting.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back