Splitters - Horizontal or horizontal/vertical

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered a split-fire 3255 with log lift. $300 shipping from Canada. 8" wedge, 9-11 cycle time from one end to the other and back. Should be sweet, can't wait for it to arrive.

Waylan

Nice spliter

Here is a home built H/V. I'm 5' 6'' my self and built it for comfortable splitting hight for me. In verticle big rounds only get 1 or 2 splits and rolled out of the way horz. splitting later. Splitez will build you one just like it if you want. Working higth is 33'', no leaning forward or bending over to split horizontal.

Eric, That a nice lookin splitter you built there,...E,J,

Eric, That a nice lookin splitter you built there,...E,J,

Thanks EJ. I had friends and family tease me for taking so long to build it. All the steel was scrap but I did my best to hide the fact. I used to enjoy building things, not so much any more. The rising cost of everything took most of the fun out of this one.

I've read it on here several times, and a buddy of mine that used to cut/sell firewood on the side told me the verticle units wore him out.

I use vertical most of the time and have no problem. Most of my wood is high side of 20", on up to 36" and 40". Mostly oak.

Yeah, it's work, but this is splitting wood, after all. It's not supposed to be like knitting or something.

I use vertical most of the time and have no problem. Most of my wood is high side of 20", on up to 36" and 40". Mostly oak.

Yeah, it's work, but this is splitting wood, after all. It's not supposed to be like knitting or something.

+1 and I have used strictly horizontal splitters with the wedge on the end of the beam that seemed like double the work. Horizontal are good if all split wood size is the same but if different sizes are needed I could not stand walking past the wedge to bring split wood back to be split again, a time killer for sure. I can see where a conveyor would be a benefit with that type of splitter. With out the conveyor you are constantly stopping to clear the pile unless you have enough help to do that while you stay splitting or stop to pull the splitter ahead.

Nice job on the splitter eric.:cheers:

Thanks skid row, sounds like a place I been be for.:) Give splitez.com credit for the design, I barrowed it from pics off their web site but made changes that I wanted while I was building it. If I had the $5,000 for one I would have bought it. James, the owner of splitez gave me information on specs, nice guy for sure. They are a battle ship compared to other splitters. I ended up with what I wanted at a lot less cost.

Thanks skid row, sounds like a place I been be for.:) Give splitez.com credit for the design, I barrowed it from pics off their web site

Now THAT is a serious splitter! You can see how heavy it is from the pics.

Somebody was raving about their new splitter on another thread, and looking at the pics, I can't imagine paying what they get for those things. They were not impressive at all. Okay, but not impressive. Much less beef than my Speeco, which was half the price. :confused:

Those splitez.com jobs are something to brag about, and Eric, yours is too. :cheers:

Last edited:
Now THAT is a serious splitter! You can see how heavy it is from the pics.

Somebody was raving about their new splitter on another thread, and looking at the pics, I can't imagine paying what they get for those things. They were not impressive at all. Okay, but not impressive. Much less beef than my Speeco, which was half the price. :confused:

Those splitez.com jobs are something to brag about, and Eric, yours is too. :cheers:

:eek: Thanks Mark and I know what you mean. If you can see any flex you can also predict a number of cycles be for something gives. This is the first one I have used with 0 flex even on the hardest most twisted round of osage orange. That stuff is like a rock.

Hey man, I really don't know what your problem with the American splitters is. And to compare them and downrate them compared to your speeco???? Give me a break. You are the only one I've read that didn't care for the American splitters.......and you seem to flame American and turnerburner or rx175 (I'm not sure which one you keep mentioning or if you are referring to both) in every thread you post in regarding splitters. I just think it's uncalled for, IMHO. The american splitters are a bargain considering what you get compared to the timberwolf splitters. You state they aren't beefy.......are you talking about the extended tongue? What are you talking about when you say they aren't beefy? They use I or H beam, just like any other splitter. You say you don't want to rain on that guy's parade........yet you do in every other thread. I say enough already. If you are happy with your speeco, then I'm happy for you........I've looked at them in person and they are a decent homeowner grade splitter.........but not in the same class as any of the pro splitters.......American, timberwolf, splitez, iron&oak, split-fire, etc.

Waylan

Hey man, I really don't know what your problem with the American splitters is. And to compare them and downrate them compared to your speeco???? Give me a break. You are the only one I've read that didn't care for the American splitters.......and you seem to flame American and turnerburner or rx175 (I'm not sure which one you keep mentioning or if you are referring to both) in every thread you post in regarding splitters. I just think it's uncalled for, IMHO. The american splitters are a bargain considering what you get compared to the timberwolf splitters. You state they aren't beefy.......are you talking about the extended tongue? What are you talking about when you say they aren't beefy? They use I or H beam, just like any other splitter. You say you don't want to rain on that guy's parade........yet you do in every other thread. I say enough already. If you are happy with your speeco, then I'm happy for you........I've looked at them in person and they are a decent homeowner grade splitter.........but not in the same class as any of the pro splitters.......American, timberwolf, splitez, iron&oak, split-fire, etc.

Waylan

+1

The grade of steel used has alot to do with the strength of the splitter also.

Dave

Last edited:
:eek: Thanks Mark and I know what you mean. If you can see any flex you can also predict a number of cycles be for something gives. This is the first one I have used with 0 flex even on the hardest most twisted round of osage orange. That stuff is like a rock.

Actually I majored in architectural drafting and building design and one of the things we were taught when designing steel beam sizes for a particular load is that a "beam that flexes will not break, a beam with no flex will break."

For this exact reason is why skyscrapers and bridges and such were built to "flex and sway" under load and wind conditions. If they did not they would not last very long

Flex and deflection is common in steel frame construction.. Too rigid and it will break.

Considering that I would tend to think your logic is flawed.

Hey man, I really don't know what your problem with the American splitters is.

It's real simple. They aren't much.

I can see how well they're built, and it's not much. It's better than the box store junk, sure, it's decent, sure, but it's not as heavy as the Speeco, and it's just not much to brag about. Not for the money they get. For that money, go look at the ones mentioned above, or the Split-Fire. The differences are obvious, and the American comes out on the short end of the stick.

You want to brag about it, go ahead. I won't jump in to your thread and badmouth it. But I'm not going to pretend to be impressed by it just to spare the feelings of people who bought name over quality, and if a newbie asks, I'll tell him what I think.

Last edited:
This is the first one I have used with 0 flex even on the hardest most twisted round of osage orange. That stuff is like a rock.

I keep hearing about that gnarly stuff. Someday when I'm rich I'm going to have to pay one of you guys to ship some to me just so I can see for myself. :D

I can see how well they're built, and it's not much. It's better than the box store junk, sure, it's decent, sure, but it's not as heavy as the Speeco, and it's just not much to brag about. Not for the money they get. For that money, go look at the ones mentioned above, or the Split-Fire. The differences are obvious, and the American comes out on the short end of the stick.

Have you seen in person and used an American splitter? If not, you are way better than I at determining build strength. There are guys on this forum that have had American splitters 20 something years, longer than speeco has been in business. And in my honest opinion, although I don't post it in every splitter thread, I would put the speeco/huskee splitters in your "box store junk" category. The hydraulic tank has the spindles welded to it. Vertical shaft engines are not the duty of horizontal units. The hydraulic pump and filter hang down close to the ground on the Huskee 22 ton I saw........they are made cheap and for the home-owner. Speeco claims "assembled in the us"........I am guessing most of the components other than the barnes pump and briggs engine are from China. Apparently they work fine and I am glad that many are happy with them.......this is the only time you will see me state my negative opinion of them. And how do you consider the split-fire a better splitter than the American.........it obviously can't be more heavy duty........it weighs alot less. This would seem as though you suggest design can carry more weight than how "heavy" it is built. Kinda seems to me you are talking out both sides of your mouth. And "for that money, go look at at the ones mentioned above". You can't touch any of the reputable brand horizontal log splitters with hydraulic log lift for the same money. The split-fire is the only one. The Timberwolf TW-2HD retails for about $3500, and that's without 4-way wedge, hydraulic log lift, or catch pans. The Iron & Oak horizontal with log lift goes for about $5600. The splitez, so far as I can tell doesn't make a horizontal unit with log lift, 4-way wedge, and catch pans. All these units are nice quality units, but for much more money than a comparable American splitter.

You want to brag about it, go ahead. I won't jump in to your thread and badmouth it. But I'm not going to pretend to be impressed by it just to spare the feelings of people who bought name over quality, and if a newbie asks, I'll tell him what I think.

I'm not bragging about anything.........and I am the starter of this thread.......and you "jumped in and badmouth'd" the American. Do you know of some that have failed........or anyone that has owned one that has complained about any aspect of it? It really seems as though you are the fox that didn't want the grapes. Name over quality? What do you base this on? Are the welds shoddy? Are they made with lighter duty beam? Are they using chinese made hydraulic pumps? How about this comparison........the timberwolf TW-P1 and TW-2 only have a manual log lift as an option.......for roughly the same price as you get a hydraulic log lift on the American or split-fire. The log catcher and 4-way wedge cost alot more on the timberwolf. I think both splitters are in the same league, yet you get more for less money with the American.

To all those that own the huskee splitters........my intent was not to run them down........I think they are ok slitters for the money paid, it really just rubs me the wrong way when someone repeatedly posts their opinion as fact, and degrades another product they know little about, especially when they own an inferior product. Does BlueRidgeMark suffer from Inferior Product Ownership Syndrome, hereafter referred to as IPOS? lol

Sorry if I offend anyone other than him, as it is not my intention.

Waylan

Last edited:
Mark, I read the following post by you in another thread I am subscribed to, and I think I see why you do not like the American splitters........

Realistically, my Huskee 35 ton will do everything I will ever need it to do, and probably outlast me. I'd be nuts to pay twice the price for a better machine, even if I had the money. Which I don't!

But this still does not explain why you hold other name-brand splitters in high regard, even though they cost twice as much or more than comparably equipped American splitters.

Waylan

Well apparently he either owns 2 splitters or he can't remember which one he owns :

From this thread..

Much less beef than my Speeco

From another thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=68661

I have the Tractor Supply 35 ton model.
:confused:

And now this???

but it's not as heavy as the Speeco

This is just funny........ :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Take it for what it's worth I guess....

Last edited:
Well apparently he either owns 2 splitters or he can't remember which one he owns :

From this thread..

From another thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=68661

:confused:

And this???

That is a freaking joke........ :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Take it for what it's worth I guess....

Well, on this point he is not in error. Speeco makes the units for tractor supply.......and sells them as Huskees.

Waylan

Back