Splitters - Horizontal or horizontal/vertical

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haywire,

Here is a site that has free calculators.

nice... thanks.

So using that 4.5" cylinder instead of the 5" with a 16gal pump would take the cycle time from 15 sec to 9.5 sec. I like the idea.

Ian

Last edited:
I put in the numbers from the 27t model. 11 gal, 4.5" cylinder, and since I don't know rod diameter, I the used the number that gave the 14 second cycle time they claim for the 27t. That would be 3". Then I upped the gpm to 16. That would be the smaller cylinder on the bigger motor/pump. Still gives me 9.6 sec as opposed to 15 with the larger cylinder.

I suppose either the rod diameter could be wrong or their claimed cycle rate for the 27 could be off or the calculator could be off.

Ian

Hmmm... I never put the larger cylinder in for comparison, just went by claimed cycle time. In order to get the calculator to give me their numbers with the large cylinder combination, I have to lower the rod diameter to 1". Something doesn't jive with their numbers or the calculator is screwy.

If you leave the 1" rod in place and drop to the 4.5 cylinder, it is a 3 sec reduction in cycle time.

If you assume that the 1" is correct and drop the gpm to 11, it ups the cycle time to 17.5 sec so they are understating the cycle time of the 27t

Ian

Last edited:
The most common rod diameter for log splitters is 2". High end splitters go as large as 3" rod dia. but it is very costly. Some low end splitters may have a 1 1/2" rod to cut cost. Rod diameter changes fluid volume of the return stroke which has a great effect on cycle times.

The calculators provided are accurate while advertised tonnage and cycle times are about as good as EPA gas milage ratings.

have not read every post, but I get the general flavor...

got to defend my speeco/TSC 35 ton H/V splitter. with it's 12.5 hp motor, it drives through any and all logs I've feed it.

yes... for $$ spent. 35 ton speeco gives max bang for the buck.
but besides the low $$... the 35ton model is an excellent splitter regardless of price.

I resent having 35 ton speeco splitter compared to box store brands. this is clearly not the case. for starters speeco has 12in I-beam construction and a 5in cylinder.

that being said.. yes speeco is an excellent splitter. also I'd like to upgrade to a TW-5 with log lift. American splitters are excellent too.

not real impressed with timberwolf's entry level splitters. it looks light duty compared to 35 ton speeco. can't comment about entry level american splitter as I have not seen it in person. whereas I've seen TW-5 and entry level timberwolf in person.

would like a TW-5 with lift, but price is close to $7,500. that's not happening soon.

I'd take the 35 ton speeco over an entry level timberwolf costing twice as much... anyday

Last edited:
I'm having fun with those calculators. In order for the Speeco 35t to actually produce 35t, the relief valve would have to be set at 3565 psi. At 2500psi which I've read is the usual setting, it produces 24.5t. How do splitter manufacturers get away with fudging the numbers that badly? I guess nobody has sued them over it yet.

046, what's the rod diameter on your splitter? I'd like to see what the actual cycle time is.

Ian

speeco inflates their numbers...betcha 35 ton speeco is closer to 25 tons. cycle times is 16 second range with 16gpm pump.

12.5 hp ohv motor will easily drive a 22gpm pump, which should reduce cycle times down to 9 seconds range. hoses will need to be upgraded to 3/4in.

was planning to upgrade to 22 gpm pump, but will probably hold off in favor of finding an affordable used TW-5 or American splitter.

will measure rod diameter later... odds are it's the smaller 5in version.

I'm having fun with those calculators. In order for the Speeco 35t to actually produce 35t, the relief valve would have to be set at 3565 psi. At 2500psi which I've read is the usual setting, it produces 24.5t. How do splitter manufacturers get away with fudging the numbers that badly? I guess nobody has sued them over it yet.

046, what's the rod diameter on your splitter? I'd like to see what the actual cycle time is.

Ian

rod diameter of 5in cylinder is 2in... actual cycle times is 16 seconds
slow cycle times is one of the only draw back to 35ton speeco. other is widge is on ram. but then you'd need a lift.. but that's another story...

wonder how many folks out there that's actually seen an entry level timberwolf or American splitter and 35 ton speeco.

betcha very few would chose an entry level splitter at twice the price over the mighty 35 ton speeco.

Ian

Do you have any pictures of your splitter you could post? Or have you posted them already?

huskee 35 ton 2.JPG

huskee 35 ton 3.JPG

huskee 35 ton 4.JPG

Do you have any pictures of your splitter you could post? Or have you posted them already?

Latest posts

Back