Splitting "Junk"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I'm wondering, what do you guys do with all the junk that gets made by the splitting process? I've been raking up the splinters and picking out the bigger chunks to use for kindling, but what about all that bark? I know you could just dump it out in the woods, but it seems like a bit of a waste.

I was thinking of picking up the bigger chunks and getting one of those little MTD chippers just to chip up for my flower beds or possibly to sell. I can get my hands on one of them for about $100 and I know they suck at chipping any real brush but they should handle bark okay.

What ya guys think? I just hate wasting so much of that bark and just letting it rot.

So I'm wondering, what do you guys do with all the junk that gets made by the splitting process? I've been raking up the splinters and picking out the bigger chunks to use for kindling, but what about all that bark? I know you could just dump it out in the woods, but it seems like a bit of a waste.

I was thinking of picking up the bigger chunks and getting one of those little MTD chippers just to chip up for my flower beds or possibly to sell. I can get my hands on one of them for about $100 and I know they suck at chipping any real brush but they should handle bark okay.

What ya guys think? I just hate wasting so much of that bark and just letting it rot.

since i don't burn any firewood (just sell) i take all the leftovers and fill in holes in the yard with it. especially the wood chips.

and if you're ripping - those noodles make good mulch!

I'm using it right now in my owb to burn down my pile of charcoal I built up this week during the warm spell....spread the coal out, bark etc on top to keep coals red hot with some flames..burns down to nice ash after awhile.

I've tried burning it to get rid of it, lots of smoke and hard to burn withoug a good bed of coals already going.

Take it down to the river, the bums and the people fishing generally happy to get whatever to keep warm while hitting the bottle, or hooking a monster flat.:)

It seems to be more prevalent when running a splitter. I was running my buddy's Timberwolf today just making tons of it. Hand splitting seems to be a bit cleaner.

BTW, that Timberwolf is an awesome machine. Not the fastest I've ever used but nothing could stop it either. Only one splitter I've used more powerful than that, a homemade one with a forklift pump and cylinders.

I Scrape it into a pile and shovel it into the OWB on top of a bunch of small sticks. It burns great but I have a draft blower fan on mine to help it along.

if you have a dirt/shells/gravel driveway it fills potholes nicely. i generally fill low spots on the property and sometimes fill a trashcan or two and landfill it.

the chipper is a good idea! a have an old 'Kemp' with a shredder chute that would grind it nicely!

if you have a dirt/shells/gravel driveway it fills potholes nicely. i generally fill low spots on the property and sometimes fill a trashcan or two and landfill it.

the chipper is a good idea! a have an old 'Kemp' with a shredder chute that would grind it nicely!

I have one also, 5hp...at least I think it is a Kemp - got it used and haven't even looked at it in over 15 years. I ground up Willow bark with it and it worked "acceptably". From my experience, a "small" shredder won't 'git-r-done'.

I now haul all mine out to the wood lot and add it to the burn piles. Also have a small spot in the garden where I burn some with my tree prunings.
Harry K

Last edited:
splitter chips/bark

I will rake it up into #55 (tarp type) dog food bags,burn it in the stove,It's not clean by any means but it will start coals up in the morning. (Nothing clean about tree work/firewood to begin with).
I also spread it out on the ground with the loader,it beats the heck out of working in the mud come snow melt or in the rain.
Grocery bag some of it give it to bundle customers for starter.
Give some to neighbors for their fire pits.
AND there is still plenty to put in a pile to burn.
Too darned bad those pellet making machines are so expensive!
Mark

just let it pile up where you work up your wood eventually you dont have to worry about grounding a chain. if you cut to far youll just be cutting half rotted bark and sawdust, nothing that will hurt a chain.

off topic:

I have one also, 5hp...at least I think it is a Kemp - got it used and haven't even looked at it in over 15 years. I ground up Willow bark with it and it worked "acceptably". From my experience, a "small" shredder won't 'git-r-done'.

Harry K

i have the biggest kemp they made from about 20 years ago.
8 hp kohler. simply made butvery well (read heavily) made, like 250-300# heavy!!! made like a farm cart with pivoting front axle for towing behind riding mowers.
it will handle 4" stuff pretty easily in the chipper chute. the shreader chute is 7 inches high by 15 or so wide. smaller branches and twigs and leaves that usually gum up the works and chip poorly get pulled in to the shredder at unsafe speeds and obliterated! in its day i'd bet this thing was the best affordable chipper on the market.
another example of a heavily built, well engineered machine, made in USA (lancaster PA) that you can no longer get.

I use the bigger wood pieces as kindling. Last year I burned all the bark in my fire pit. This year, I'm going to leave it lay to prevent the mud around my working area.

Latest posts

Back