Splitting "Junk"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chip it

Most of those cheaper home owner models have a removable screen...take it out and run it through the machine. Put the screen back in and run it a second time and you got great mulch.....assuming you want to spend that much time doing it. I have a mackissic chipper/shredder with a 10hp motor and different size screens so I can "custom blend" my stuff. Depending on how much I've cut I do a cursory clean up making a garbage full of bark and other junk fit into a 5 gallon bucket. If I don't have a spot to be mulched, it goes on the grass clipping/compost pile. I also use it in my garden every time I put down grass clippings around the plants...evens out the greens-browns ratio.

Well I had a friend haul all my junk away, it was making a mess out of my backyard and parking area, and he hauled it to his big compost heap. If I lived out in the country I would just dump it in the woods and be done with it.

i take the small spliters of wood for kindling and the bark and other crap gets loaded up and dumped in the woods.

I put mine in a barrel and my girlfriends aunt takes it. She uses it in the native american sweat lodges. She runs one. Once i have anough to fill it i call her and she comes and gets it. However if she didn't take it then i think i would compost it.

I have a nice fire pit in the back yard that all the junk goes into to. When out cutting I take everything, rotted or not. The good stuff for the house, the bad stuff for relaxing nights by the pit. The bark and and small pieces from splitting burn great out there.

Chips and Bark

Every suggestion mentioned works great. Burn it little by little when it's dry, use it for mulch, filling holes in yard, sell it to campers, or use it in your own campfires, buy a chipper and chip it. I've used all the techniques mentioned and they all work well. One other thing you could try if you're a trout fisherman like me... keep a thin but big diameter stash near the woods or the edge of your property and dig your own fishin worms whenever you need them. Get 'em by the 10's of dozens everyday.

Latest posts

Back