Springfield Armory???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is sad that my home state of Illinois passed laws that forced Springfield to cross the river into Iowa. It was a big win for Iowa but a huge loss for us.

Bill

Ya wanna hear Ironic?
Primedia the publisher of Guns and ammo is setting up shop in Illinois after moving out of Commiefornia because of the taxes and stupidity.

I dunno what old Man Westrom at Armalite, or the gang at Rock river are gonna do. It's just plain ugly, and I wish ya all well.

Get outta the Chitcago area and Illinois has lotsa good folks.
Y'all have the same issues we do with Detroit, only worse.
Folks in Detroit Love thier Guns.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

About half the guys on our SWAT team carry Springfield 1911s in various flavors.

Glocks still have more hits in shootings, but that comes from the 1911s only being on the approved list for about five years now. Many were slow to switch away from the fantastic plastic and .40 Slowly they are seeing how well the .45acp and the 1911 works.

Mr. HE:cool:

Get outta the Chitcago area and Illinois has lotsa good folks.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well I am on the river and I mean the Mississippi. I can fire a accurate shot into Iowa.

As for good folks they can be found everywhere. I do have to travel to Chi town and I have never found a rude person yet, I know that is odd.

On the other hand there is a guy out in SW Michigan that I would love to choke the **** out of.

I know that is just plain backwards

Bill

This has taken me back down memory lane to when I spent all my free time as a boy shooting fullbore for the county. We had the Lee Enfield .303 and was lucky enough to get to Bisley a couple of times, I still remember the thirll of hearing the first shot of the 1000yd Queens medal and the time lag of the shot then the impact 1000yds away ! Also had loads of fun with with the BSA martini cadet as well as various others. When serving had to make do with Browning 9mm and Sterling SMG but used to do comps with SLR 7.62.
Thanks for reminding of the good old days !

A large portion of my teenage years was spent behind a rifle. Some of it was behind the M1A, but most of it was with an Anschütz 1413 Supermatch.

It all taught me a great deal...

Got a Savage/Anshutz 64 here I shoot indoor small bore with. Topped with a Lyman20X target dot with Freeland accessories. The gun shoots great, its the one jerking the trigger that mess up the traget.
Later
Bob

Got a Savage/Anshutz 64 here I shoot indoor small bore with. Topped with a Lyman20X target dot with Freeland accessories. The gun shoots great, its the one jerking the trigger that mess up the target.
Later
Bob

The first real target rifle I used was a Springfield 1922 with a Douglas barrel and a custom prone stock. It belonged to the club. It weighed a ton. Most of the kids in the club Shot Remingtons, Anschütz, and one guy had a Martini. With money earned from cutting grass I bought a Savage/Anschütz model 64 when I was 13 (of course it legally belonged to my dad). The 64 lasted about 9 months until I could get the money together for an Anschütz 1411 prone rifle. After the National Championships that year I bought a Unertl 1.5" target scope. My dad had the Springfield M1A that he let me shoot highpower with. A year later I bought the 1413 stock because I needed a free rifle to shoot position with.

Rifle shooting is a great sport. Where else can you compete side-by-side with the best in the world. My first year at Camp Perry I fired just a few positions away from Olympic gold medalist Lones Wigger. My next time at Perry I was squadded on the same point as his son Ron. Darn lucky as a teenage kid to be able to hang out with the USMC rifle team and meet heroes and even a CMH recipient. I will always be glad that my dad took the time and money to help me with my shooting. I was fortunate to have him as my coach also, as he was a Master class highpower shooter himself.

All of that was a very long time ago, but the memories make it seem like it will last forever.

The first real target rifle I used was a Springfield 1922 with a Douglas barrel and a custom prone stock. It belonged to the club. It weighed a ton. Most of the kids in the club Shot Remingtons, Anschütz, and one guy had a Martini. With money earned from cutting grass I bought a Savage/Anschütz model 64 when I was 13 (of course it legally belonged to my dad). The 64 lasted about 9 months until I could get the money together for an Anschütz 1411 prone rifle. After the National Championships that year I bought a Unertl 1.5" target scope. My dad had the Springfield M1A that he let me shoot highpower with. A year later I bought the 1413 stock because I needed a free rifle to shoot position with.

Rifle shooting is a great sport. Where else can you compete side-by-side with the best in the world. My first year at Camp Perry I fired just a few positions away from Olympic gold medalist Lones Wigger. My next time at Perry I was squadded on the same point as his son Ron. Darn lucky as a teenage kid to be able to hang out with the USMC rifle team and meet heroes and even a CMH recipient. I will always be glad that my dad took the time and money to help me with my shooting. I was fortunate to have him as my coach also, as he was a Master class highpower shooter himself.

All of that was a very long time ago, but the memories make it seem like it will last forever.

I know what you mean. I started out on my friends 1413. Then I had the chance to pick up the 64 for about 250 with irons. A old friend of mine found out I had the rifle told me I needed a good scope on it. that is where the Lyman super target dot with external adjustments came from. It also had the wood case with it. Then I picked up a stock of a win 52 and modified it to fit the 64. Its basiclly a thumb hole stock with the rail and anshutz hook. With the stock came the Freeland accesories. All said and done I have 450 in the complete setup. I would not even take twice that if someone even offered.

I am not sure if you ever heard of Earl Leibutorl (spelling?) from wisconsin. In his day he shoot many differnt venues of compition. He was at camp perry alot. I had the chance to shoot at his home range and shoot with him when I first started.
Have you ever heard of Rock Creeks barrels?
Bob

I'm not complaining but has anyone noticed the add at the top of the website? Guns and Saws is there anything better, oh maybe add girls too!:cheers:

My guard dog has a nice collection of black rifles started, soon it will be tuff to keep him out of mine.:cheers:

zep.JPG

My first 1911 was a Springfield. I still have it. One thing I have learned is if you have a favorite gun...never lend it to a friend. He scratched it trying to put the slide release back in and put that darn "half moon" scratch behind the trigger. It still turns my stomach to look at it.

My first 1911 was a Springfield. I still have it. One thing I have learned is if you have a favorite gun...never lend it to a friend. He scratched it trying to put the slide release back in and put that darn "half moon" scratch behind the trigger. It still turns my stomach to look at it.

Guns, saws, motorcycles, and cameras are not to be loaned.

Guns, saws, motorcycles, and cameras are not to be loaned.

Say it again Tzed. BTW What part of WVA are you from? I own a farm in Ritchie Co. and have most of my family from Randolph Co./Elkins/Tygarts Valley. I'm there every deer season...second week since I can never get off work for the first week.

Rifle shooting is a great sport. Where else can you compete side-by-side with the best in the world.

Motocross. :rock:

Honestly I would be interested in competition shooting. I have a Browning A-bolt 7mm Rem Mag I used to hunt elk with. At this time I don't have plans to hunt with it again (more interested in black powder) but still enjoy shooting it. Competition shooting sounds like a good time.

I own a couple springfield guns and I was to a bit suprised by the new sponsor. My M1 garand was manufactured in the US but my XD9 was made in Yugoslavia, I didn't notice till I got it home. I felt betrayed!

Zastava is a great weapons builder. They have been making some of the best European guns since the 1850s. Their Mausers, SKS, and licensed Kalashnikovs rifles are legendary. I would much rather have a Zastava than a Draganov AK.

I assure you have a very high quality gun made to exacting standards. Even if it is not a Springfield original, it was well made, licensed and it gets the job done.

Before the recession (which hurt gun sales across the board ) Remington was having Zatava make model 798s. They staked their reputation on a foreign builder because Zastava weapons measure up.

Also, many of the US security firms in Iraq and Afghanistan are carrying Zastava AKs chambered for NATO Ammo. The reputation is such that the new pro western Iraqi government has ordered thousands of Zastava built M21 rifles. The M21 is a precise instrument available for a fair price. IMHO nothing is more reliable or dependable than a well built Kalashnikov chambered for high quality 5.56x45mm NATO ammo. I would go as far as saying I would rather carry a m21 than just about every modern service rifle with the exception of a Tavor TAR-21, (although i doubt the Iraqis would buy that one :)

Motocross. :rock:

Honestly I would be interested in competition shooting. I have a Browning A-bolt 7mm Rem Mag I used to hunt elk with. At this time I don't have plans to hunt with it again (more interested in black powder) but still enjoy shooting it. Competition shooting sounds like a good time.

Last time I checked they only load 40 riders on the gate for an Outdoor National. I'm not good enough to make it, are you?...;)

Say it again Tzed. BTW What part of WVA are you from? I own a farm in Ritchie Co. and have most of my family from Randolph Co./Elkins/Tygarts Valley. I'm there every deer season...second week since I can never get off work for the first week.

Raleigh County, but grew up in Charleston.

Last time I checked they only load 40 riders on the gate for an Outdoor National. I'm not good enough to make it, are you?...;)

All but a select few still have to qualify. I was hoping for a shot at qualifying at Washougal in '98 but drove my knee into concrete hard clay a couple weeks before the race. I doubt I would have qualified but at the time I thought I could be in a position to if I caught a break or two. One of those things I look back on now and wonder what if.

I have raced against pro riders just not in a National. No McGrath's or Carmichael's but names anyone who followed the sport would recognize.

All but a select few still have to qualify. I was hoping for a shot at qualifying at Washougal in '98 but drove my knee into concrete hard clay a couple weeks before the race. I doubt I would have qualified but at the time I thought I could be in a position to if I caught a break or two. One of those things I look back on now and wonder what if.

I have raced against pro riders just not in a National. No McGrath's or Carmichael's but names anyone who followed the sport would recognize.

Wood4heat,

Consider Metallic silhouette.;)

It's not an equipment race, and boils down to commitment and reading the conditions.

If you have a MOA hunting rifle with a repeatable scope, you're competitive if ya learn to shoot and maintain the groove.;)

Carefull though, it can be worse than CAD.

Best part, unlike MX, after you're 18 ya ain't too old.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Wood4heat,

Consider Metallic silhouette.;)

It's not an equipment race, and boils down to commitment and reading the conditions.

If you have a MOA hunting rifle with a repeatable scope, you're competitive if ya learn to shoot and maintain the groove.;)

Carefull though, it can be worse than CAD.

Best part, unlike MX, after you're 18 ya ain't too old.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, one day at the range with a friend into that stuff and I had to lock my wallet up and get two weeks of therapy to keep from getting hooked.:dizzy:

I might still get into it someday.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back