starting a MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In that case, much as many disagree with it, drop starting may be the only way he will be able to realize the saw has fired. On the ground I'm not so sure he will be able to feel it fire, hmmmmmmmm. This is new terrority for me. We gotta come up with a way for him to know when it fires since he can't hear it, any ideas guys??

If you are serious (and I'll bet there are other deaf folk that use a chainsaw), how about affixing a little NE2 neon bulb to or close to the spark plug wire...it should glow when the saw is firing?

Just a guess but some things I done in my youth say it ought to work?

If you are serious (and I'll bet there are other deaf folk that use a chainsaw), how about affixing a little NE2 neon bulb to or close to the spark plug wire...it should glow when the saw is firing?

Just a guess but some things I done in my youth say it ought to work?

I'm very serious. I recall after my customer left I wondered how was he going to hear that saw fire on start up. The light idea is a good one but it would lite every time the coil fired whether the saw fired or not. The coil puts out 20,000 volts. This is completely new for me and if Jim is my customer we gotta figure out a way to help him out. I have to give my guys at Stihl a call in the morning about this. A deaf man should be able to enjoy his new saw like anyone else. Gotta be a way to aid him in starting it, gotta be..

My experience with this is that the bulb will fire (it is a gas filled bulb and does not have a filament..there should be enough inductive voltage to make it work) each time the the plug does and as soon as the RPM's get going it will look like a steady glow. It will be obvious if he would be seeing a start-up spark or two or a running saw.

One thing that might render this a bad plan is that I'm not sure the saw's spark voltage will get the NE2 to light up enough to be seen in bright sunlight. This could possibly be remedied by making a small black shield that would fit around most of the bulb so he could see it fire against the black background instead of competing with the sunlight.

My hearing is very bad, but I sort of feel it when it wants to start....:)

Me as well. My hearing isn't very well either. That came from years of running loud saws with no hearing protection. I can feel a saw fire through the handle without listening to it. Main thing is to be focused on feel when starting it. Jim may not be my deaf customer though, we gotta find out if he was that man, I owe him 39.00 worth of discounts as well...

My experience with this is that the bulb will fire (it is a gas filled bulb and does not have a filament..there should be enough inductive voltage to make it work) each time the the plug does and as soon as the RPM's get going it will look like a steady glow. It will be obvious if he would be seeing a start-up spark or two or a running saw.

One thing that might render this a bad plan is that I'm not sure the saw's spark voltage will get the NE2 to light up enough to be seen in bright sunlight. This could possibly be remedied by making a small black shield that would fit around most of the bulb so he could see it fire against the black background instead of competing with the sunlight.

Would be cool, but I don't see it for the 361; the choke has to be clicked back the first response of the saw even if it is only one hit.

I don't think I'm deaf [don't ask my wife :dizzy: ] but it seems like I go by the feel of the drop as much as by the sound.

How about using the decompression valve? It is my understanding that when cold starting the saw and the thing firsts coughs,chokes pukes etc, the valve should pop back out. Why not just eyeball the valve?
You could get very clever and find a way to better indicate if the valve is in or out. Perhaps with some color/pressure sensitive material. Develop the valve , slap a patent on it and sell it back to stihl. Retire in style, sleeping very well everynight on a pile of money with many beautiful women.

Making alot of good points there and I beleive your onto something that would really help him out. Good job,:cheers::cheers:

How about using the decompression valve? It is my understanding that when cold starting the saw and the thing firsts coughs,chokes pukes etc, the valve should pop back out. Why not just eyeball the valve?
You could get very clever and find a way to better indicate if the valve is in or out. Perhaps with some color/pressure sensitive material. Develop the valve , slap a patent on it and sell it back to stihl. Retire in style, sleeping very well everynight on a pile of money with many beautiful women.

BINGO, there it is, the deco valve does pop up when the engine fires, man your a genius. He needs to use the deco valve and watch it. When he cranks the saw he merely eyes the deco valve with every crank. He will notice it has pop up on some crank and then know when to get it off choke. Man your a God send,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Would be cool, but I don't see it for the 361; the choke has to be clicked back the first response of the saw even if it is only one hit.

I don't think I'm deaf [don't ask my wife :dizzy: ] but it seems like I go by the feel of the drop as much as by the sound.

LOL, don't ask your wife if your deaf, ha. Back in the day when I was married I would have paid money to be deaf,LOL

I'm very serious. I recall after my customer left I wondered how was he going to hear that saw fire on start up. The light idea is a good one but it would lite every time the coil fired whether the saw fired or not. The coil puts out 20,000 volts. This is completely new for me and if Jim is my customer we gotta figure out a way to help him out. I have to give my guys at Stihl a call in the morning about this. A deaf man should be able to enjoy his new saw like anyone else. Gotta be a way to aid him in starting it, gotta be..

I've not run a 361, but I know on every saw I've had there is a set pattern that works 99% of the time. For instance, my Husky 394 was full choke, decomp on, pull rope 6 times, off choke to half idle, one more pull and it's running. I'm sure this would work for the 361 as well. Maybe go 3 pulls on full choke and then fast idle whether it's fired or not? Then, it won't flood, and it will start. Might take a couple more pulls, but it would be manageable.

How about using the decompression valve? It is my understanding that when cold starting the saw and the thing firsts coughs,chokes pukes etc, the valve should pop back out. Why not just eyeball the valve? ......

You will miss a lot of what I regard as "pops" that way - it is a totally unleliable way to do it on many saws, the MS361 is one of those.

...but it sure will work on some saws, most of the time (I can't name a single one of mine though).

Last edited:
You will miss a lot of what I regard as "pops" that way - it is a totally unleliable way to do it on many saws, the MS361 is one of those.

Not so sure about that but admit I never use a deco on any saw cept my
880. I do know if that saw fires that deco valve should pop up. I'm gonna do some testing with my own 361 and see for myslef. I know on my 880 when that thing fires that valve pops up. I haven't used deco valves in so long but I'm fairly positive they all pop up when the motor fires. It may not be fool proof SawTroll but it may be the mans best option. Worth a try to me...

Last edited:
I've not run a 361, but I know on every saw I've had there is a set pattern that works 99% of the time. For instance, my Husky 394 was full choke, decomp on, pull rope 6 times, off choke to half idle, one more pull and it's running. I'm sure this would work for the 361 as well. Maybe go 3 pulls on full choke and then fast idle whether it's fired or not? Then, it won't flood, and it will start. Might take a couple more pulls, but it would be manageable.

Thats a good idea too. Every saw seems to have its own way of starting. Some fire on the second pull, some on third and so on. He may have to find how many cranks that 361 prefers on choke before coming up a notch on the lever. Good post Space..

Anyone know how many pulls on average it takes to prime the fuel delivery system if a saw (like the 361) was run completely bone dry?

(definately more then 2-3 pulls??)

...but it sure will work on some saws, most of the time (I can't name a single one of mine though).

The only saw I start with the decom valve is my 3120 and it defiantly pops out the decomp when it firsts coughs. I am almost positive my 372s and 7900 will do the same. I don’t think I have ever used the decomp on my 361, but if the saw hits it should pop the valve back out. The real problem is the valve on the stihl. It is kinda difficult to tell its position. Hope his eye site is better than his hearing. Good luck.

Anyone know how many pulls on average it takes to prime the fuel delivery system if a saw (like the 361) was run completely bone dry?

(definately more then 2-3 pulls??)

6-8 pulls in my experience. PITA. But do not run your saw dry on gas. That will create a lean running condition, and you can fry your engine if you do it often enough.

Latest posts

Back