starting a MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried giving Thall Rep twice in one thread. No dice. Eitherhoo, my goal was to say "this kind of cooperation is why I like this board." Good job, folks. Keep up the awesome work.

Now that is customer service! :clap: Definitely had to rep him on that one too.

If someone mentioned it, I missed it, but when I flood my 361, I put it on fast idle and just crank it a bunch of times. It works every time for me without removing the plug etc. Also, it seems like to me that if I try to start the saw in the kill position (yeah, I know-DON'T DO IT!) it will flood the saw every time.

I have to say that the 361 is the most tricky saw to start of the four that I own. The little 260 is really a great starter and by far the best of the four. The Huskys both start better than the 361, too. I have pretty well figured out the 361 and I love the saw, but it sure seems to me like they could make them a little more user friendly in that regard.

I tried last night using the decompression valve as an indicator for a hit on the cold start of a 361 and got a 100% correlation. Every time the saw burped with the valve in, it would kick it back out; so using the decomp valve as a visual aid should do the trick.
To make the position of the valve more visible, try removing the top cover of the saw and painting the wide base of the valve stem. Use a permanent metallic paint marker (like they use to mark parts from a bone yard) in some dayglow bright color. If done judiciously, you should be able to paint the base of the valve such that when the valve is pushed in, the paint will be behind the top cover, when the valve is out the paint should be clearly visible. Once you get the hang of the saw, the visual aid should not be necessary. Good Luck.

I suspect this will be the method I use as it is a good indicator. Thanks for the idea. I am going to try it without painting anything first and see how it goes. I think there is a very good chance that the saw will fire on a certain number of pulls and hope it does on the same number of pull. Per one post, this is not always the case.

sbhooper...I tried that when I felt I flooded the saw but it did not work. Yeah tried it when it was on the warm start position. I believe from all of the responses here...no two saws are alike in exactly how they start and this is no surprise.

THall...I will let you know whether I come or not. I am still gonna try it myself and think there is a good chance I will hack it right. Manuals are notorious for not having enough info for certain issues. This is where the forum comes into play. If I come I will be there first thing Sat morning and I think your store opens at 8:00am right? I'll probably bring my boy to get him away from TV. And not only that...the ride up there is scenery for me :clap: Thanks for your help!

Well I'll be dayummm, it was you, I didn't have a clue you was the Jim from here.....
....so come on back, I'll be looking for ya

Don't do it Jim; it's a trick! He realized he didn't get the chance to talk you into the 200 at the same time, and wants a second shot! ;):biggrinbounce2:

Just teasing Tom. I think good dealers truely do enjoy seeing a customer pleased with their tool; probably moreso than the sale itself, but it is good business to boot. :clap:

When I brought my 361 in for an oiler test a week after buying it [my dealer, I'm not in your area], he found it right at factory specs so upgraded the oiler [like the 440 or something] and didn't charge a thing. I instisted on paying, but he refused: claiming he wouldn't have said it was fine with a 25" if the oiler wasn't up to my tasks too. :) Not hard to figure out where I still buy all my supplies.

Teasing you about the 200 too Jim (unless your wife really does want a saw); loving my 361 for all-in-one. That does get me thinking, if he's still offering you a discount on something, maybe that exta bar and chain would be an option instead of the case, for added versatility and you wouldn't need to drag out the Wildthing if you do pinch your 20" bar. Ahhh, better butt-out now, too much fun spending other peoples money! :cheers:

Last edited:
Don't do it Jim; it's a trick! He realized he didn't get the chance to talk you into the 200 at the same time, and wants a second shot! ;):biggrinbounce2:

Just teasing Tom. I think good dealers truely do enjoy seeing a customer pleased with their tool; probably moreso than the sale itself, but it is good business to boot. :clap:

When I brought my 361 in for an oiler test a week after buying it [my dealer, I'm not in your area], he found it right at factory specs so upgraded the oiler [like the 440 or something] and didn't charge a thing. I instisted on paying, but he refused: claiming he wouldn't have said it was fine with a 25" if the oiler wasn't up to my tasks too. :) Not hard to figure out where I still buy all my supplies.

Teasing you about the 200 too Jim (unless your wife really does want a saw); loving my 361 for all-in-one. That does get me thinking, if he's still offering you a discount on something, maybe that exta bar and chain would be an option instead of the case, for added versatility and you wouldn't need to drag out the Wildthing if you do pinch your 20" bar. Ahhh, better butt-out now, too much fun spending other peoples money! :cheers:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I think after I get him fixed up on that 361 I can swindle him , opppps, I mean sell him a nice weed trimmer too,hehe

what about some Ultra?
000000000000ps wrong thread

I got plenty of Ultra in stock, tant a problem. I saw that other thread and thought man how do they plan on selling Ultra oil if they don't stock it, oh well, more sales for me,haha

Heck...I am the customer you talked to. I was asking about putting a smaller blade on the saw since I was not sure I need a 20" blade and you mentioned that it is easier with a longer blade since I would not have to bend over when cutting. you also took a 18" blade in the box and showed me and the diff was only 2" from a 20" (and I thought what the heck...get the 20".) I agree with you that when I am starting the saw I got to know what to feel for so I think I have felt it and know what subtle clues to look for. Good point on bringing up what useful a longer blade can serve as my back is sore the day after I work in landscaping my yard! I ain't young anymore! LOL

Get a 16" bar as the main one, and use the 20" one only when needed!

The shorter bar will be easier on your back most of the time (unless you walk on logs when limbing them), just rest the left elbow on the left knee when bending over!

:givebeer:

Precisely.

Jack

I read your other thread Jack and I don't know what to tell you. To me it doesn't make sense not to carry Ultra, its good stuff. Any Stihl dealer that sells 4-mix blowers or trimmers should automaticly offer Ultra for those units to keep those valves clean.

To me its simple, you can't sell what you don't have. Far as it not being as popular because of the price thats true only to a degree. Its the dealers job to point out the bennifits of it to justify the price. I sell quite abit of Ultra oil, note I said sell, not just ring it up at the counter..

I read your other thread Jack and I don't know what to tell you. To me it doesn't make sense not to carry Ultra, its good stuff. Any Stihl dealer that sells 4-mix blowers or trimmers should automaticly offer Ultra for those units to keep those valves clean.

To me its simple, you can't sell what you don't have. Far as it not being as popular because of the price thats true only to a degree. Its the dealers job to point out the bennifits of it to justify the price. I sell quite abit of Ultra oil, note I said sell, not just ring it up at the counter..

Good on ya, Tom, I wish just one dealer in my area felt that way. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Jack

so Jim you went to RIT/NTID?
I'm a ME '78

Yeah I went to RIT/NTID.
EET '88
EET '93
MSIT (completed all courses in around 94 but never finished my Thesis...my one regret! That is what happens when you meet a girl and woo and wed her and have kids and work...they all take away time... :clap:

This thread is closed. Anyone wanna sell a 260 saw? :)

Now how is anyone supposed to sell you a 260 if you're closing your 260 thread? :laugh:

With your 361, I'm still guessing one or the other would be collecting dust with a 260 added to the mix, but nothing wrong with more powertools! :cheers: However, if Tom sticks that 200 in your hands, you might be despertly drawn to the need for a lightweight limbing saw! :chainsaw: Oh wait, he was going to sell you a weed trimmer instead....a 110Kombi....then you can get the polepruner attachement.... DOH...I wasn't supposed to leak the master plan! :cry:

Good luck firing up that 361 tonight! :greenchainsaw:

Now how is anyone supposed to sell you a 260 if you're closing your 260 thread? :laugh:

With your 361, I'm still guessing one or the other would be collecting dust with a 260 added to the mix, but nothing wrong with more powertools! :cheers: .....

I run the 361 and 346xp more than any others from the list in my sig, and the 346xp is closer to the 361 in both power (a lot) and weight (a tad) than the 260 - so it may not be a problem.........:givebeer:

starting the 361 this evening...

Gents and Gals,

Here is the news! I started the saw...too darn easy and I must be a dumb hick for not being able to do it the first time. I see what I did wrong. When I first tried to start it on the cold start and it did not start and the decomp valve poped up...I probably pushed it down and tried to start again on cold start! Should have moved the switch up one notch and fired up that baby!

The valve was already pushed down from the fiasco from last weekend or two. This evening I just put the switch down to #4 (cold start = #4 and warm start = #3...don't feel like typing all this over and over haha) and pulled one time holding the saw and I seen the valve up so I move it up one notch and did one pull and that baby fired up. I immediately toggled the switch and it died. (smoke coming out of the muff so I figured I should let it warm up a bit). Next time I just tried on the run position and it did not start so I move the switch down to #3 and one pull it fired up. This saw fires up easy apparently but will try again a coule times and if it fires up easy I will try it without the decomp. By the way...I did not feel the saw fire up as I knew it would start but the decomp would work for a difficult saw to start. But my saw is dang easy to start and that surprised the heck outta me! I thought the saw would be louder and scream but it seem quiet for a pro saw.

Well it started and I said why not...went over and cut them two stumps down. Wife and son standing by and my boy :clap: and said why not do that tree over there...pointing to a 20" stump there and my wife said "Now don't get trigger Happy" and walked away :dizzy: :clap:

I am happy with the saw. I am just surprised it is this quiet...I thought it would be a screamer. But Tom tested it out before I took it home so he would know if its normal or not. since he gave me the go ahead I guess that is the way its supposed to be. Now...gotta find the darn tree...

I am tickled to death! Tommy done a good JOB! And I think I picked the right saw...if anyone has handled farm equipment years ago and saw occassionally they should at least get the pro saws and forget the mid-range saw for their primary saw. For a secondary saw any will do but maybe another 361 with
16" bar or a 460....too many thoughts!

Seriously...last spring I stopped at the Stihl dealer and checked the bush cutters bu the $850 ding to the wallet was a bit much. I do need one and have looked at the Kombi if I call it right. Definitely if I get more Stihl stiff I will be heading to Tom's hideout where all the goodies are!

Tom...I started it so you do not need to do any more demo on me..save ur arm! I'll come by probably two weeks when my wife is gone out of town with the kids for a week and pick up some things and chat and affirm that it was me that stopped by for this baby 361! Thanks for youir help!

one of the reasons I like sthil is because it hard too do dumb #### like trying to cold start it with the choke on and the switch off. That said all of my saws (and I have a bunch)
if flooded to the point fuel is in the can(muffler) may as well hang it on the wall and grab another one.That or pull the muffler after I figure out what flooded it to begin with.

Gents and Gals,

Here is the news! I started the saw...too darn easy and I must be a dumb hick for not being able to do it the first time. I see what I did wrong. When I first tried to start it on the cold start and it did not start and the decomp valve poped up...I probably pushed it down and tried to start again on cold start! Should have moved the switch up one notch and fired up that baby!

The valve was already pushed down from the fiasco from last weekend or two. This evening I just put the switch down to #4 (cold start = #4 and warm start = #3...don't feel like typing all this over and over haha) and pulled one time holding the saw and I seen the valve up so I move it up one notch and did one pull and that baby fired up. I immediately toggled the switch and it died. (smoke coming out of the muff so I figured I should let it warm up a bit). Next time I just tried on the run position and it did not start so I move the switch down to #3 and one pull it fired up. This saw fires up easy apparently but will try again a coule times and if it fires up easy I will try it without the decomp. By the way...I did not feel the saw fire up as I knew it would start but the decomp would work for a difficult saw to start. But my saw is dang easy to start and that surprised the heck outta me! I thought the saw would be louder and scream but it seem quiet for a pro saw.

Well it started and I said why not...went over and cut them two stumps down. Wife and son standing by and my boy :clap: and said why not do that tree over there...pointing to a 20" stump there and my wife said "Now don't get trigger Happy" and walked away :dizzy: :clap:

I am happy with the saw. I am just surprised it is this quiet...I thought it would be a screamer. But Tom tested it out before I took it home so he would know if its normal or not. since he gave me the go ahead I guess that is the way its supposed to be. Now...gotta find the darn tree...

I am tickled to death! Tommy done a good JOB! And I think I picked the right saw...if anyone has handled farm equipment years ago and saw occassionally they should at least get the pro saws and forget the mid-range saw for their primary saw. For a secondary saw any will do but maybe another 361 with
16" bar or a 460....too many thoughts!

Seriously...last spring I stopped at the Stihl dealer and checked the bush cutters bu the $850 ding to the wallet was a bit much. I do need one and have looked at the Kombi if I call it right. Definitely if I get more Stihl stiff I will be heading to Tom's hideout where all the goodies are!

Tom...I started it so you do not need to do any more demo on me..save ur arm! I'll come by probably two weeks when my wife is gone out of town with the kids for a week and pick up some things and chat and affirm that it was me that stopped by for this baby 361! Thanks for youir help!

Awwwwwwwwwwww good job man, you got it going, now your off and running. Yes the 361 is on the quiet side for sure. I kinda like the lack of all that loud chainsaw noise. Mine is muffler modded slightly and its still fairly quiet, I like it that way.

Yes I saw in your eyes you need a new trimmer. I seen feilds of daises and tall grass on your mind,LOLOL You want a Kombi, cool beans, come on by and pick up one, I carry the 90/110/130 and I owe you 39.00, don't let me forget it, hell hold me to it. And yes I will speak slower for ya, I think, man I don't talk slow, I think I can slow it down, let me know when your coming and I'll skip on my daily intake of 20 glasses of coffee, without all that caffine I should be able to talk alittle slower, I'll try,LOLOL

Seriously I'm glad you got the starting issues all cleared up. I actually called Stihl Inc on your behalf today Jim. I told them about your hearing and starting problem. They understood completely and suggested just keep a eye on the deco valve when you go to start it. Sounds like you were one step ahead, good job!!!!

Last edited:
daisies weaving in my mind LOL

Awwwwwwwwwwww good job man, you got it going, now your off and running. Yes the 361 is on the quiet side for sure. I kinda like the lack of all that loud chainsaw noise. Mine is muffler modded slightly and its still fairly quiet, I like it that way.

Yes I saw in your eyes you need a new trimmer. I seen feilds of daises and tall grass on your mind,LOLOL You want a Kombi, cool beans, come on by and pick up one, I carry the 90/110/130 and I owe you 39.00, don't let me forget it, hell hold me to it. And yes I will speak slower for ya, I think, man I don't talk slow, I think I can slow it down, let me know when your coming and I'll skip on my daily intake of 20 glasses of coffee, without all that caffine I should be able to talk alittle slower, I'll try,LOLOL

Seriously I'm glad you got the starting issues all cleared up. I actually called Stihl Inc on your behalf today Jim. I told them about your hearing and starting problem. They understood completely and suggested just keep a eye on the deco valve when you go to start it. Sounds like you were one step ahead, good job!!!!

Tom...I hate to admit it but when I was fixing to start the 361 yesterday...I did the Elvis strut like you did in the vid. Hey it worked...so its gotta be something. I suggest you get this vid to Stihl and put on tape and make this part of a new saw package. LOL...

Either you cut down on your coffee or I'll have to drink 20 cups of Joes so I can lip read ya LOL...I'd be wired in your shop! Like with everyone...I'll let you know if I do not understand you. And you'd have to keep looking at me when you talk.

Fields of daisies and tall grass swaying in my mind...LOL ... heck I got weeds! So I need more than a trimmer...need a bush whacker...this is why I looked at the Kombi. I will search and see what folks think of this tool. I already have an Echo trimmer for the last 7 years...but its a SRM2400 and 23cc so not bad for trimming but I need something bigger to hack these darn weeds on my back perimeter.

I'll get back to you in a couple weeks and will remind you of the $39 goodies. Not sure what I want to get but I am wondering about these saw protectives...I think I'd probably buy one for the very reason I do not carry a cell phone. I am pretty good with being on the safe side. For sure will get one extra chain to have on hand. So much things needed so little money and time LOL.

Thanks and I am still tickled to death. BTW...what are the two saws in the vid you posted?

Tom...I hate to admit it but when I was fixing to start the 361 yesterday...I did the Elvis strut like you did in the vid. Hey it worked...so its gotta be something. I suggest you get this vid to Stihl and put on tape and make this part of a new saw package. LOL...

Either you cut down on your coffee or I'll have to drink 20 cups of Joes so I can lip read ya LOL...I'd be wired in your shop! Like with everyone...I'll let you know if I do not understand you. And you'd have to keep looking at me when you talk.

Fields of daisies and tall grass swaying in my mind...LOL ... heck I got weeds! So I need more than a trimmer...need a bush whacker...this is why I looked at the Kombi. I will search and see what folks think of this tool. I already have an Echo trimmer for the last 7 years...but its a SRM2400 and 23cc so not bad for trimming but I need something bigger to hack these darn weeds on my back perimeter.

I'll get back to you in a couple weeks and will remind you of the $39 goodies. Not sure what I want to get but I am wondering about these saw protectives...I think I'd probably buy one for the very reason I do not carry a cell phone. I am pretty good with being on the safe side. For sure will get one extra chain to have on hand. So much things needed so little money and time LOL.

Thanks and I am still tickled to death. BTW...what are the two saws in the vid you posted?

Hahaha, the Elvis strut, now ya talkin baby, shake rattle and roll I say, just don't mess up da doo or step on my white Stihl shoes,hahaha

Those two saws were a older 046, now called the 460, and a new 441. Folks kept trying to tell me the 441 would not hang with the 460 in hardwood. The King and I had to prove them cats wrong, they do indeed run very close.

Hold me to that 39.00, if ya don't I may remember to forget about it,LOL Just messing with ya, looking forward to your next visit,:cheers::cheers:

Back