starting a MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fields of daisies and tall grass swaying in my mind...LOL ... heck I got weeds! So I need more than a trimmer...need a bush whacker...this is why I looked at the Kombi. I will search and see what folks think of this tool. I already have an Echo trimmer for the last 7 years...but its a SRM2400 and 23cc so not bad for trimming but I need something bigger to hack these darn weeds on my back perimeter.

You must have some monster weeds and lots of them to be looking at those $800 things!

A simple FS (same engines I suspect 90/110/130 as the Kombi) is great in weeds [I have a FS80 or maybe 90, fuzzy memory or the numbers were juggled a little not long after we bought that, perhaps 6-7years ago]; you can slap on a weed blade as easy as a string head [like changing saw bars!] and go get 'em! :chainsaw:

I like the bike handles because with the full harness it distributes weight so well [even with just trimming, but it does require more footwork for manuvering buildings than a round handle]. However, if I bought one in round handle, it'd probably be a Kombi for all the quick change toys. :dizzy:

I run the 361 and 346xp more than any others from the list in my sig, and the 346xp is closer to the 361 in both power (a lot) and weight (a tad) than the 260 - so it may not be a problem.........:givebeer:

Can't argue that, but I do suspect you cut enough to enjoy the variety, while the weekend warrier type is more inclinded to consistantly grab the one they find either more powerful or lighter. However, I've been wrong before, and am certianly all for any excuse to buy more power tools! :greenchainsaw:

Can't argue that, but I do suspect you cut enough to enjoy the variety, while the weekend warrier type is more inclinded to consistantly grab the one they find either more powerful or lighter. However, I've been wrong before, and am certianly all for any excuse to buy more power tools! :greenchainsaw:

You are right that I enjoy the variety - the 346xp surely wasn't needed. as the 353 and 5100S already was there......:)

Glad you got it straightened out Jim! Gett'n the right procedure down is all it takes.
Wish all dealers treated customers as well as Tom does.
I'm only about an hours or so from Manassas (and years ago lived there. Also live in Gainesville). Where about's is your shop Tom?

Glad you got it straightened out Jim! Gett'n the right procedure down is all it takes.
Wish all dealers treated customers as well as Tom does.
I'm only about an hours or so from Manassas (and years ago lived there. Also live in Gainesville). Where about's is your shop Tom?

From Gainesville about 18 miles striaght up Rt 15 north. Come by sometime, have a pepsi and sit a spell...

You must have some monster weeds and lots of them to be looking at those $800 things!

A simple FS (same engines I suspect 90/110/130 as the Kombi) is great in weeds [I have a FS80 or maybe 90, fuzzy memory or the numbers were juggled a little not long after we bought that, perhaps 6-7years ago]; you can slap on a weed blade as easy as a string head [like changing saw bars!] and go get 'em! :chainsaw:

I like the bike handles because with the full harness it distributes weight so well [even with just trimming, but it does require more footwork for manuvering buildings than a round handle]. However, if I bought one in round handle, it'd probably be a Kombi for all the quick change toys. :dizzy:

Spiff,

Not monster grass but I can tell ya that I got fields of oaks coming up competiting with my crop trees...now I would not want to be undergunned! LOL...yeah I don't think I am gonna drop THAT much on a versatile bush/weed trimmer but the FS110 looks like the ticket. Gotta count my jungle under the mattress... LOL

Country...I think if you google Stihl and TW Perry or just Stihl and Leesburg I bet you will get the addy come up. May wanna taste the tepid Folgers LOL

361 stalling again!

Just a little note. Yesterday I got home and tried to started the 361 and the same **** happened! Would not start and I started from the open choke since it has sat for 2 days. I know it needs to start with the open choke when it has not run for a couple hours but was wondering with this hot weather we have not...is there a possibility that the saw should have been started in the half choke? I removed the spark plug and tried again and it never roared to life...maybe the chamber needs to be dried too? So I will try again soon but I tell ya that this will be getting old if I gotta dry the darn plug everytime I wanna fire up this old lady hehe.

Going out to breakfast with my sis and mother before mother flys out of town this afternoon. I'll get back and try again when I get back home this afternoon.

For something so easy to start, I don't know why so easy to flood, but after it does, then it can be a bear.

I don't generally have any problem guessing how to treat it dead cold, but after a lunch break or something it has played with me - the only conclusion I found repeatable: if in any doubt, give it a couple pulls at [using your earlier notation] pos3. You can always add one, or maybe a couple at pos4, but if it gets to rumbling in that pos4 - too late!

I own 2 MS 361s

Step 1 Choke- Switch at the bottom
Step 2 Pull 1-4 times, as soon as you hear her sputter longer than the first pull stop pulling
Step 3 Lift switch one click up into the Half-Choked position
Step 4 PULL 1-5 times should start right up

My 361s usually sputter on the 2nd or 3rd pull choked, and 9 times out of 10 theyll start on the 3rd pull after theyve been choked if its not too cold out...

If you have already tried it in these steps, then Id take her to the saw shop, if not then give'r a shot, thats how both mine are started every mornin....

Good luck to ya:chainsaw:

Good God.... with all this drama on starting a new saw, I feel much better concerning my sometimes more than 6 pulls on my 30 year old macs. And, I have them tuned for hot running, not cold starts.

But special kudos to THALL for his excellent customer service.:cheers:

Just a little note. Yesterday I got home and tried to started the 361 and the same **** happened! Would not start and I started from the open choke since it has sat for 2 days. I know it needs to start with the open choke when it has not run for a couple hours but was wondering with this hot weather we have not...is there a possibility that the saw should have been started in the half choke? I removed the spark plug and tried again and it never roared to life...maybe the chamber needs to be dried too? So I will try again soon but I tell ya that this will be getting old if I gotta dry the darn plug everytime I wanna fire up this old lady hehe.

Going out to breakfast with my sis and mother before mother flys out of town this afternoon. I'll get back and try again when I get back home this afternoon.

After two days of sitting, should start with full choke regardless of the weather. You might try establishing a starting regimen -- say, 3 pulls on full choke, then go to high idle whether you've heard a pop or seen the comp release pop up or not. If it floods with three pulls, try two. My 361 is my most ornery saw to start from cold, not from flooding, just takes lots of pulls. All of my saws are a little different to each other in how they start, but each is pretty consistent from day to day.

Jack

still will not start

Still will not start. You would think after I got it started I have a fairly good handle on how it starts. Plug has been out two times and still cannot get it to fire up. I think I am going to haffa pay ole' Tommy a visit. It is time to pay him a visit and pick up some things anyway. I will say this...getting the plug out to dry up the spark plug is going to get tiresome but on the other hand...if someone stole this saw and could not get the darn thing run they may sneak the saw back to me thinking its broke :)

I cannot imagine having to mess with the plug every time I attemp tp start it. Heck...maybe I gotta bleed orange a bit more... :clap:

i never use fast idle?

choke 2-3 pulls till she pops

switch to run postion 3 pulls and a lil trigger action and me and my ms361 are in biz

add a cpl pulls if its really really cold

was also told the saw gets used to you im the only one to own/run my 361 so it likes me!

Gents and Gals,

I am tickled to death! Tommy done a good JOB! And I think I picked the right saw...if anyone has handled farm equipment years ago and saw occassionally they should at least get the pro saws and forget the mid-range saw for their primary saw. !

I fail to comprehend what handling farm equipment years ago has to do with the saw, let alone saw choice.

I didn't get a "Pro" saw as my primary (and only) saw, because the MS270 looked to be a bit more than what I figured I needed.

No regrets.

Saw choice should be driven by the application and need (for most).

There are some that like to have the perceived top thing in all endeavors. God bless em, they help out the economy. I just don't need the ego trip and can’t afford the cost.

I don’t need 3 saws for what I do. If I need to do some trimming, the MS270 does that fine. If I need to cut a bigger diameter log, it does that as well.

If I did a lot of either, I would have looked at a larger saw (you can still limb with it) or multiple saws. I don’t and am not going to wreck the family budget doing so.

Jim, I think using the decomp is your down fall....
You should be able to "feel" the saw fire without needing the decomp for an indicator.
Also, you'll "feel" it fire a lot better without using the decomp, because it'll have more compression....
I promise you'll have a much easier time if you don't use that thing brother.

i never use fast idle?

choke 2-3 pulls till she pops

switch to run postion 3 pulls and a lil trigger action and me and my ms361 are in biz

add a cpl pulls if its really really cold

was also told the saw gets used to you im the only one to own/run my 361 so it likes me!

This is exactly how I start mine and I have never once had a problem. Full choke, pull it 2-4 times till it pops. Move it to the run position with a little throttle and it fires up after about 3 pulls. I start my MS250 this same way and have the same results. I do use fast idle on my 268xp though.

I fail to comprehend what handling farm equipment years ago has to do with the saw, let alone saw choice.

I didn't get a "Pro" saw as my primary (and only) saw, because the MS270 looked to be a bit more than what I figured I needed.

No regrets.

Saw choice should be driven by the application and need (for most).

There are some that like to have the perceived top thing in all endeavors. God bless em, they help out the economy. I just don't need the ego trip and can’t afford the cost.

I don’t need 3 saws for what I do. If I need to do some trimming, the MS270 does that fine. If I need to cut a bigger diameter log, it does that as well.

If I did a lot of either, I would have looked at a larger saw (you can still limb with it) or multiple saws. I don’t and am not going to wreck the family budget doing so.

Smokerr,

Back then all of these equipment and trucks had one choke...it was either open or closed. Nowdays or at least the 361 has two types of chokes. This is why I mentioned that statement...there is a somewhat difference in how you use the choke when you got MORE THAN TWO features of chokes.

There is nothing wrong with getting a 'lil bigger saw than what you need. And if one can afford it...so be it. I see folks driving a Jaguar to work and park next to an old guy who drives a nice Jaguar. But I get to work just the same and oh heck he prolly makes alot more $$ than I do :cry: But if we all really wanted to get something...we will and can prolly do it.

You got your MS270 and are happy with it and I :clap: you. But I could still have the same problem with other Stihl saws...I don't know. From all of this response...it seem the 361 is finky in how it starts...and I sort of have to fondle this saw to get it to perform :)

Saw choice should be driven by application and need? Heck...you may want to start a sticky and berate those who have 10 saws...and even for a pro logger this many saws is not needed. I fail to see your logic...if you can afford to buy these saws and it does not hurt your life's situation...then that is perfectly ok with me and many others. Our basic life's necessities is driven by the kind of money we make...in other words if your discretionary income is rather high who the hell cares how you spend money. I think like the next guy...I want to invest my money wisely so I have a comfortable retirement and hopefully put my kids through college etc. But I can only do so much :cry:

I am happy you found the 270 to your liking. It would probably have worked for me but for an extra $150 - $200 ain't a problem for me to shell out that for a far superior saw. Now lets see you run your saw for 10 hrs a day for 7 days a week...

Back