Starting a Woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just wondering what other uses people use rain water for.

Hi Laird ,

Great looking wood shed , :clap: like someone else posted it looks like a
pavilion ...

Do you grow a garden ???

Later,x595

Half Full

Wish moving all the wood into the shed was half as fun as building it was, but I'm about half way done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is what is left. This was a piss poor place to stack it, I don't know what I was thinking when I started putting it there. No sun, not much of a breeze blowing through there. The wood is quite wet after all of the rain we've been getting.

attachment.php

Done

Finally finished moving the woodpile into the shed last night. Moved a total of a little over 18 cords. Looks like I'll be able to get about 22 cords in it all together. Somewhere between 2-3 years worth of wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now I just have to clean up the mess from the old location and it will be over.

you shed-builders out there: how much are you paying for galvanized roofing per sheet?...Blowe's / Home Despot around $13.50/ for 8' x 24' sheet.

Keep an eye open for steel self-storage facilities being constructed or adding on. I'm sure other types of steel buildings use the same shipping process, but all steel self-storage buildings are shipped with dozens of "cover sheets" or protective panels that go on the top and bottom of all of the roof panels and painted side wall steel. A majority of the time the contractor or storage facility owner pays thousands of dollars in dumpster fees to remove all of the debris after construction is completed. If you get there early enough you can usually snag quite a few roof panels or pole barn type ribbed wall panels for a 12 pack of beer or even free. They would much rather rent the space than store steel panels they may have no use for. The problem is the buildings get built so quickly that the steel is there and gone before you even notice the construction project.

wood sheds

nice lean to shed there Laird , you can up here to the great white north and build me one.
I was just wondering what kind of snow you get where you live , that outdoor furnace looks like it may take a hit with snow sliding off that nice steel roof . I put a steel roof on my house which has a 10/12 pitch roof and its nothing for the snow to slide off it on go out some 10 feet from the side of the house . Like a dummy I have a wood shed like you attached to the house with a shingled roof , I spent many a weekend shovelling the waist deep snow off it .
Good luck to you that shed should hold 45 single cords or so

16 inches wide x 8 feet long x 4 feet high / single cord

We have to post a Canadian wood definition These guys are always confused by our Terms hahah (Bush Cord)= 1 cord (single)=Face cord =1/3 of a cord
When someone calls me for wood and I price out a cord They think a Cord is a Single or face cord . In the US I am wondering who is rick? and how much wood does he want ? hahaha :clap:

One fellow here locally on Craigslist was selling a "roll" of wood which, when asked, was a roll of 16" wood 4' in diameter. He apparently was selling in increments to fill those round wrought iron wood racks that people keep on their front porch at $40/roll.

Ian

Last edited:
In the US I am wondering who is rick? and how much wood does he want ? hahaha :clap:

He would like 2 face cords, followed by a rack in a couple months.

As much as I like having a set measurement, these regional terms are a lot of fun.

But I'm not a very worldly guy. I've only ever eaten grinders - but long to enjoy a sub, a hero sandwich, or a hoagie.

nice lean to shed there Laird , you can up here to the great white north and build me one.
I was just wondering what kind of snow you get where you live , that outdoor furnace looks like it may take a hit with snow sliding off that nice steel roof . I put a steel roof on my house which has a 10/12 pitch roof and its nothing for the snow to slide off it on go out some 10 feet from the side of the house . Like a dummy I have a wood shed like you attached to the house with a shingled roof , I spent many a weekend shovelling the waist deep snow off it .
Good luck to you that shed should hold 45 single cords or so

Round here if we get a 16" snow it was a monster storm. I haven't seen 16" of snow in a long time and when we do get it it usually dosen't stick around long. Most winters we will have a week of below freezing weather followed by a week of above freezing daytime temps.

I could not help thinking about Laird's shed. I realize that it can get really cold out there and as such, it is important to have the wood source near the house.

I do not think that that system would work too well in Australia especially with the wood shed attached to a wooden house.

I do not know anything about your termite population there, but here that would be an open invitation for a free lunch, the house included.

Is it not a problem there because of the climate or the species of timber used. Not meaning to be an alarmist but the siteing did intrigue me?

Peter

I could not help thinking about Laird's shed. I realize that it can get really cold out there and as such, it is important to have the wood source near the house.

I do not think that that system would work too well in Australia especially with the wood shed attached to a wooden house.

I do not know anything about your termite population there, but here that would be an open invitation for a free lunch, the house included.

Is it not a problem there because of the climate or the species of timber used. Not meaning to be an alarmist but the siteing did intrigue me?

Peter

We do have termites here tho they might not be as bad as you have down under. I did treat the space of ground between between the shed and the house just in case, and there is some shielding under the bottom plate of the garage to deter them. I know to keep my eyes open to any sign of them and will respond accordingly if I see any evidence of them.

Back