sthil 026 rebuild gone wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had a 026 sthil gave to me a few weeks ago. Straight gassed. I decided to do a cheap china top end, Warhawk brand. Put the saw back together, but it wont hit a lick. Checked spark, all good. Acts like it isnt getting any gas. impulse tube looks good and the boot between carb and cyl looks good. Fuel line looks good. I have worn my arm out pulling on it and it isnt even wetting the plug. I sprayed a shot of ether in the plug hole and the saw wont even hit a lick off ether. I am guessing carb. I dont have rebuilt kit for carb so I just threw the saw on the shelf while I get around to ordering one. Any other suggestions as to what the problem might be.

I never fooled with the flywheel, just replaced the P/C. Of course that doesnt mean the timing in the ports couldnt be off, but even a cheap top end should have the port timing close enough to at least crank. I think I will do a compression and squish check just to see if there might be more clearance than their should be. I bought a cheap kit once that had .80 squish and it didnt want to run either.

I only sprayed a light mist of either in the plug hole, 2 cycles and either dont play well together so I may not have put enough for saw to hit. I dont think it is getting any gas and will have to check vacuum when I can get a guage borrowed. With the snow storm coming in tonight, I probably wont even mess with it until next week. Weather man is all over the map with predictions, anywhere from 2 inches of rain to 2 ft of snow. Probably get up in the morning and the sun will be shining

I never fooled with the flywheel, just replaced the P/C. Of course that doesnt mean the timing in the ports couldnt be off, but even a cheap top end should have the port timing close enough to at least crank. I think I will do a compression and squish check just to see if there might be more clearance than their should be. I bought a cheap kit once that had .80 squish and it didnt want to run either.

If a crankshaft seal has a total failure (like blown out), saw will not even pop regardless. I have seen this in many two strokes.
I do not feel that if seal was just leaking it would have this effect, but would certainly have start an run problems.

I definitely would have done the seals while I had it tore down. That being said if everything was done correctly while being assembled id say put a new carb on it or rebuild the original. Maybe while waiting for the kit pull the H/L screws out and spray some carb cleaner through all the holes. Buckle in, there calling for around a foot here and that's a lot for these parts.

Easier to check for fire/spark first, if you have that then its easier to dribble a few drops of mix in the sparkplug hole and see if it hits after a couple pulls. Then if it wont fire up look deeper.

Latest posts

Back