Stihl 028 value and possible mods? I am looking to buy locally

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mufflers in the above picts are Super mufflers, they have a grille on the front of them, your muffler is likely from a non Super. It is easy to get a Super muffler off the Bay, they usually go for $20-$25 and are easier to modd than the regular 028 muffler.

Pioneerguy600

Maybe Jerry knows something I don't, but if you have the really early muffler with the extra little side mounting screw and the "speed nuts" built into the back half of the muffler case, then you can't just mount on a super muffler, because there are no threaded holes in the crankcase to mount the front of the muffler to.

Maybe Jerry knows something I don't, but if you have the really early muffler with the extra little side mounting screw and the "speed nuts" built into the back half of the muffler case, then you can't just mount on a super muffler, because there are no threaded holes in the crankcase to mount the front of the muffler to.

+1

The early 028WBs mount the muffler with three screws (two into cylinder, one into the recoil side of the case). Two bottom screws hold the front muffler casing and thread into the rear casing. The Supers mount with four screws (two into cylinder same as WB, two lower into the case from the front through both casing pieces). While a Super muffler "may" bolt up to a WB cylinder, it will not be properly supported.

Why bother obtaining a Super muffler if you thinking of modding it anyways?? Just mod your WB muffler, the inner is fairly open already. If it were me (and I'm working on a WB currently so I'll be doing mine soon) I would just take down the muffler, clean it up good (including spark arrestor screen) and add a new outlet. So it will have two. I'll be keeping mine somewhat conservative, no need to go crazy as it breathes well already and I don't want to kill the bottom end power.

+1

The early 028WBs mount the muffler with three screws (two into cylinder, one into the recoil side of the case). Two bottom screws hold the front muffler casing and thread into the rear casing. The Supers mount with four screws (two into cylinder same as WB, two lower into the case from the front through both casing pieces). While a Super muffler "may" bolt up to a WB cylinder, it will not be properly supported.

Why bother obtaining a Super muffler if you thinking of modding it anyways?? Just mod your WB muffler, the inner is fairly open already. If it were me (and I'm working on a WB currently so I'll be doing mine soon) I would just take down the muffler, clean it up good (including spark arrestor screen) and add a new outlet. So it will have two. I'll be keeping mine somewhat conservative, no need to go crazy as it breathes well already and I don't want to kill the bottom end power.

They are right the super muffler does not bolt up. Anybody have some pics of a 028 WB muffler mod?

No one has any pics of a 028 wb muffler mod?

I have not done mine yet, but will probably put an extra outlet pipe on the left side of the rear casing piece. Similar to the Super muffler pix already posted. No need to recreate the wheel here. I will probably go with a 3/8-1/2" outlet, combined with the existing OEM outlet should be more than adequate. YMMV

An easy do-it-yourself mod would be simply drilling some extra holes on the front cover near the existing outlet. I would start out small/few, test your saw in some cuts and go from there. I personally don't like blowing any extra exhaust gases directly on the wood I'm cutting as it tends to just reflect hot gases directly back on the saw.........and you.........

Remember to adjust your carb as necessary after mod.

Local man has a Stihl 028 chainsaw that I all know is it runs. He says his wife bought him a new saw for Christmas and he is letting the 028 go. I do not know a lot about these saws and what possible mods can be done. Larger top ends is the biggest question. I tried looking at the completed listings on Ebay but the 028s have been selling for $50-$200 dollars, that is a pretty good variance. I am going to look at the saw tomorrow and would like a little input before I get there. BTW, he is asking for $100 for this saw.

To recap:
Is this saw considered Pro or homeowner?
Is there larger p/c available?
Any known issues with this model?
Are parts plentiful?

I plan to take my compression tester and, if the owner allows, pull the muffler.

If you decide you don't want that saw after you tinker with it for a while?? Please contact me. I would give er a great home! Merry Xmas!

The 028 is an excellent saw for it's vintage. Durable as a stone. No big issues with 'em. Fuel/impulse/tank vent lines get hard with age, crack/split. Not a screamer for sure, but they just work. Don't think there are many upgrades that can be done to them. Mufflers flow pretty well OEM, no larger jugs available that I'm aware of. Depending on condition they go for what ever people are willing to pay ($25-200). I have five of the buggers just because I like 'em.
Only one I've ever read about , no eyes on, 028s case, 036 jug, & 044 10mm piston. A little file work on cases (for transfers) ,slotting of mounting bolts, and bigger carb.

Only one I've ever read about , no eyes on, 028s case, 036 jug, & 044 10mm piston. A little file work on cases (for transfers) ,slotting of mounting bolts, and bigger carb.
Would be quite a feat of work as the 036 jug is 48mm bore and the 044 a 50mm bore, stroke on them differs also at 34 mm for the 036, and 36mm for the 044.

Back