Stihl 034 first saw owner needs advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB11075

Reaction score
The current problem I'm having that
someone might be able to help with is: I recently bought my first saw which is a 034. The guy was great, an older logger who now services them and sells second hand. He gave me a full rundown and displayed it running. Once back to home I had it started a few times. I started it today and the pull cord got stuck out so I took the fan cover off and freed the cord and added some wd40 to the recovery spring area and worked it a few times until smooth. With the cover off I turned the flywheel a few times and didn't note the position it was in before. I screwed the fan cover back on and when tried to start the flywheel wouldn't pull correctly and was really hard to turn over, way more than it should be. I checked the manual and it didn't specifically troubleshoot this. I did read that the N S magnets needed to be between the ingnition module arms though I'm unsure if thats necessary? I tried to set this anyway but when I tried to start it again I had the same problem. I noted the fan cover tension limit of the fasteners and aimed for this, 7. I don't have a tension wrench and set the elec drill to 7 and presume this is the same tension required?
Not sure where Iv gone wrong and I'm trying to troubleshoot it. Iv got the feeling it's an easy fix, if you are familiar let me know, thanks

The position of the flywheel does not matter when re-assembling the recoil unit back onto the saw. It sounds likely you have a problem with the recoil unit that is not obvious. I would remove it again and look it over very carefully to be sure everything is as it should be. When you pull the rope it should be silky smooth and the starter pawls (the two little black plastic pieces near the center of the rope pulley) should move outward when you pull the rope. These pawls move outward to catch the internal notches in the center of the flywheel to crank the engine. If those pawls do not move outward or if the pull of the rope is not smooth then there is a problem with the recoil unit that needs to be repaired.

I think most of the o34's initially only used 1 pawl but there are provisions for 2 which I believe later models were equipped with 2 which is much better on this model as they do have significant compression.
1 or 2 pawls like rd35 says, flywheel position doesn't matter, the pawl or pawls should be in good condition and move outward when pulled. There could be to much rope or the knot in the starter could be hanging up. If 1 knows the construction mechanism it should be an easy fix. May want some one with experience take a look at the starter assy if u don't easily figure it out or u might create another problem.

Back