stihl 036 rebuild noob questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raumati01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got an 036 free, not running so I decided to do a complete rebuild on it . Its my first complete split case rebuild and I have a few of questions,

When you put the cases back together again do you usually put gasket goo on both side of the case? The reason I ask is a saw a great thread about an 064 rebuild and the guy made a beautiful job of it but after he got it up and running it ran lean from a leak in the crankcase and thats something I'd like to avoid.

What tool do you guys use to get the decomp on? Its recessed way too far for any socket I have and if you have any tricks to share let me know.

The oil line from the pump to the chain is split, do I go to my local dealer for that or is there a decent source online that I have managed to overlook? Looks like its going to be a painful job replacing to replace it.

Lastly , the seals . The recessed side faces out from the crank and the flush side towards the crank right?

The Stihl scrench small end will fit the decomp valve. As for using gasket sealer it does not hurt. Just use a very thin coating.

Use the scrench on the decomp,yes. Don`t use silicone based goo on the case gaskets, it will deteriorate over time and you will get a leak, Motoseal is good stuff for there. The oil line, use a new one from the dealer,OEM will last a lot longer immersed the oil, to replace it is easy, remove the clutch and the oil pump then the line will just pull out of the tank. The seals go in with the recessed aide facing in toward the crank chamber, flush side facing out and the metal housing depth is sort of critical depending on the oilpump on the clutch side and the flywheel either of them having a ring that may rub on the seal itself. That needs to be determined by looking at the oilpump and flywheel. Best to take note of how far down they are before removing them, mark the seal bore with a sharp scribe or measure the depth before removing them.

Get the oil line kit from a dealer. There is enough line for two saws. It is real stiff and a PITA to get over the nipple on the pump and brass outlet that slides into the case. Use heat but not too much to make it pliable. Don't forget the spring that goes inside or it will kink.

Latest posts

Back