Stihl 041 Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will adjust points tomorrow and see what happens. I have a carb rebuild kit if need be. Not sure how i feel about the bumper spikes yet. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I've already almost stabbed my self a few times with them haha. Cut myself with the forester chain...so we know It will at least cut skin lol

I used the oem clips for the exact reasons stated by Pioneerguy.

Well I broke the key on the crankshaft while taking the flywheel off. Must have tweaked when I put it on to check spark. Gotta wait till tomorrow so I can get one. So close...

Got the flywheel back on and we have good spark. There was no fuel getting through the carb so I checked and replaced the strainer screen. Everything else looked good to me but I have never been good with carbs. Also the fuel line was opposite of what our other saw is and I checked youtube videos to confirm. I switched them and got it to fire once and that was it. Since my anger was increasing exponentially with every pull I put the saw in time out. Ill try again later.

Well, I think we are getting somewhere...maybe. I replaced the diaphragms, inlet needle, strainer screen and cleaned the jets. No difference, however, now we have way too much fuel, waaaay too much. It floods with one pull and gas blows out the exhaust. After pulling it over, it fills up the cylinder with fuel and drips out around the throttle rod and gets gas all over the powerhead. It will continue to siphon fuel until the line is pulled. I will check the line to crankcase, maybe its plugged? Is there a vent for the tank?

Thanks. I replaced the needle, lever, and metering diaphraghm. Is there a way to adjust the lever height? It seems to be higher after I took it off and put it back.

Bend it back down to spec. Are you sure the needle is seating correctly?

I am not sure completely. I will take it back apart when I get home.
nnero,
Nice job with the photos and descriptions. Looking forward to your finished work. I too have some 041's to get running. Your info helps us all. BTW, love those spikes/dogs. I use that size a lot on my saws.
Arrow13

Thanks. Finally got the SOB to start. Stopped at the local saw shop with the carb. He took it all apart and said it was fine and I put it together right. He thought it was the tank vent on the cap. He also said since it was so flooded, to put the piston at TDC and blow the gas out the intake and the plug hole to make sure it ALL came out.

Before I put the tank on I tipped it with the cap on tight and gas started coming out the line and wouldn't stop until I loosened the cap. I left it like that, put it back together and it started right up. Doesn't idle very good and didn't have enough hands to fiddle with the adjustments. I will do that tomorrow and put a new cap on. Will update with more pics and hopefully a video!

Took it back apart today and put the 2nd ring on the piston. Compression is a lot better now. Put on new gas cap and I bought some grip material from northward saw to put handlebar. Only thing left is new starter handle which will be done tomorrow. Start with 2 pulls cold 1 warm image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here is a list of everything I did:

Used:
Clutch cover,
air filter cover,
rear handle,
handguard,
case guard,
complete points ignition

NOS:
rear handle grip,
heat shield,
plastic insulating plate,
Stihl logo tank badge

New:
forester bar and chain,
chain tensioner,
Oregon drum sprocket w/bearing,
piston and rings,
fuel filter,
air filter,
Grab-On Grips handle bar foam,
bumper spikes,
replaced various hardware with allenhead instead of flathead

Nice job. Don't add up the cost of the restoration though, you'll get depressed. It's the nature of fixing up these old Stihl's.
If so... GET A VIDEO! We all live vicariously and love to offer advice on how poorly tuned a saw is :D

Thanks. I dont plan on adding up the cost lol. This has been a fun learning experience for me so that worth something haha. I will try to get a video on Friday as I will be using the saw for the first time then.

So you have it running wel now?

Yeah once I blew the cylinder out really good and replaced the gas cap it has been running well. Still need to adjust the carb a bit.

Back