stihl 044 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may or may not have a 10 mm wrist pin 044. Put calipers on the pin when you get it out. I would spend hours on that Oem jug trying to salvage it before putting an aftermarket jug in its place. It's amazing what you can do with a q tip and muratic acid or a jewelers grinder and a 120 grit flapper wheel.

I believe oem is always best as well. I'm sure I can salvage it honestly. I was told by a machinist (that does tones of work on small engines... mostly motorcycles and snow mobiles) it could be reused.... but he was sure it would fail again at some point. I trust the old man, So I went with the best am kit I could afford. I want a saw thats decently reliable. I'm plan on spending the time to try to mend the oem. I will take pics of both oem and am and you can be the judge

Those cylinder lining will last a long time. Don't use acid on them and you'll have a better chance to save it. Just sand it off.

The general consensus on this site is that meteor is one of the better ones.

The magic of the 10 mm 044 is the original cylinder. From the posts I've seen, none of the aftermarket cylinders will match it, and none of the am cylinders are consistent, you get some good ones and some not so good. However, some of the am pistons are very good.

That is why most posters are recommending using the OEM cylinder if at all possible.

Also, as low volt eluded, a HD-2 air filter and dp muff cover will really help to wake these saws up, they just seem to respond to that very well.

Best of luck with your project, I really like those saws.

They make wrist pin pullers. Most can just be pushed out by hand with a punch just smaller than the wrist pin. For the tough ones I just use a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, two washers, some all thread, and a socket just a tiny bit smaller than the wrist pin.

I don't have any pics, but here's a brief description. Cut a 1' long piece of 1/4" all thread. Put a nut and washer bigger than the outer diameter of the PVC on one end of it. Pass it through a 4" piece of the PVC and put it through the hollow center of the wrist pin. Slide a deep well socket just smaller than the wrist pin over the all thread on the other side of the piston. Put on the other washer and nut. Tighten the nut on the socket end. That will draw the wrist pin into the PVC pipe and out of the piston.

Yada Yada Yada. Hd2 filter and dual port muffler.....Yada Yada Yada.

Let it be known that from here on till the end of time these two mods will make a 044 run like a scalded dog. There is no need to say it ever again, ever. That's it. No more. No more hd2 dual port muffler talk.
Yep you called that one. I was wondering how long it would take.
Just know that you will never be able to stop him! Hahahah

Sorry I was away for a bit and late on posting. It it is someone new to the site who will benefit from the advice, of course I am going to post it, as I should.
Haha just Flippin you some sh!t man.

OK here's a few pics of the cylinder. I've had a huge number of people at the mechanical shop I work at say it's definitely not a good idea to use it. When the piston rings have to move at 225 times a second (assuming full throttle is 13500rpm) not including other factors I won't get into. It's not dependability I want. The bore size is now not 50mm. the only real correct way wouIMG_20140825_091945.jpg IMG_20140825_092007.jpg IMG_20140825_092108.jpg IMG_20140825_091945.jpg IMG_20140825_092007.jpg IMG_20140825_092108.jpg ld be to reborn larger diameter and maybe use a a different piston (i.e forged steel piston). Anyways judge as you will and form your own opinion

I would spend some time cleaning up that jug it doesnt look to bad at all. Make sure you find to reason for failure before you run it again.

Back