stihl 044 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesnt supprise me to here this,seems like meteor QC is slipping,i got a 026 piston from baileys awhile ago and the circlip groove wasnt fully machined:(

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys got er back together. Here's some pictures. Haven't started it yet but will update when I do and if theirs anymore issues

Attachments

• IMG_20140925_131251.jpg
    IMG_20140925_131251.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20140925_131239.jpg
    IMG_20140925_131239.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 53
that is strange. I wonder if they changed it up after a certain point? The starter cover just has enough paint on it to say " made in west" lol. Cleaned almost everything on it. But definitely was used in its life

Yada Yada Yada. Hd2 filter and dual port muffler.....Yada Yada Yada.

Let it be known that from here on till the end of time these two mods will make a 044 run like a scalded dog. There is no need to say it ever again, ever. That's it. No more. No more hd2 dual port muffler talk.
Lol! Wait I have an 044 on the way with a bad piston! Ill ask what it needs to run better after a new piston![emoji41]

After rebuilding the top end I lubed the piston and cylinder walls with stihl 2 stroke oil. Not a tonne just enough to lube. Now I started it today to tune it and it had no issue starting. But it died so I adjusted the carb and tried starting again but it was almost impossible to pull. I checked p/c and everything looks fine. Is it possible I hydrolocked it?? I also wonder if it's my starter . It sounded like it's so locked that it slips off the flywheel. Like a metal "ting" sound. I can move piston with the flywheel. It could be my technique with trying to pull over a bigger saw also. Help meee.

Did you shear the key on the flywheel?
Also might want to go ahead and pull the cylinder and check everything out. Check out the circlips for the wristpin.

if I damaged the flywheel I have a spare thank god. I'll know the extent of the damage when I pop the flywheel off

I guess that's how ya learn. My boss always says "if you don't f*** up, your not doing anything"

You haven't worked on many saws if you've never sheared a key. Lol

Haha well makes me feel less stupid. How can I avoid this? I guess I'm trying to picture exactly what I did wrong. If anything I feel like I tightened to much. Or I used the wrong spot to hold the flywheel while tightening (used a tool to pry or hold it from spinning)

Haha well makes me feel less stupid. How can I avoid this? I guess I'm trying to picture exactly what I did wrong. If anything I feel like I tightened to much. Or I used the wrong spot to hold the flywheel while tightening (used a tool to pry or hold it from spinning)
Make sure the crank taper and the inside of the flywheel is clean and free of any grease. The key does not hold the position, the taper does. Clean it good with carb cleaner.

When I put on a flywheel I hold only with my hand and tighten snug with a socket. Just enough that it holds on the taper. Then ill stuff cylinder with poly rope and finsh torque on the nut.

I'm looking at replacing the carb on my 044. It's a zama c3m s5e. I've looked online and it seems that I actually use a s20 or s12. But on ebay they have a lot walbro style. Would this work? It has almost like a breather on it? Does that plug into the air filter?

Back