stihl 044 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned up a Husky cylinder so I thought it was good to go. The bloody thing ate my new piston so it went in the trash and I'm running the piston in a new cylinder.

And btw even if it doesn't work (which I hope it does) I wanted to say I will take your guys advice more than the fellas I work with now (as far as saws go) you gained my trust. thanks for the tips

And btw even if it doesn't work (which I hope it does) I wanted to say I will take your guys advice more than the fellas I work with now (as far as saws go) you gained my trust. thanks for the tips
Looks good man! I think you will be happy you tried. Keep us posted.

Ya it's a low spot :) I think it was be fine as well. I'm gonna try it. Just gonna polish up the exhaust and intake port and call it done

Ya it's a low spot :) I think it was be fine as well. I'm gonna try it. Just gonna polish up the exhaust and intake port and call it done
Don't waste your time polishing the intake side. That's my opinion anyway.

From what I know (not as much as a lot of others) but polishing the exhaust to increase flow is OK, but on the intake side polishing reduces the air/fuel mixing and can result in decreased performance. However, removing imperfections s/b fine.

Good luck w/it, glad you are using OEM, I think you will be glad you did.

Brian, Randy said he was very pleased with your am setup, but then he also stated that he got another he was not as pleased with. So yeah, I think you got lucky.

Hey, nice thread. I'm also in NS, and also have a 044 basket case to resurrect. Mine isn't a 10mm though. And mine didn't even have a cylinder when I got it - whole top end was gone. Mine was the same price as yours. I've been picking away at gathering parts - decided to resort to an AM top end after not having much luck finding a decent OEM. Also want to get leakdown tools - I suspect it burned down from a bottom end leak, but even if it didn't I want to check it before I put it all together. One of these months I'll get at it...

That's awesome. Where abouts in NS are ya from?? Good luck with your saw dude

OK question. It looks like some of the nikasil plating is off. If you look at the pictures. Look just under the exhaust side. Is that pooched or should it be ok??

I'm in Cumberland County - half hr from NB border.

My big problem is finding time to finish projects. They're all over the place here, half done.

Just received my meteor piston kit on friday. So pissed off. The top of the piston was scored by something. Contacted the company from which I ordered from and they were very apologetic and contacted the reps at Meteor. Told me to keep the scored piston and they will ship me out a new one on Monday. It says a lot of the company and will continue to do business with them. Here's a picture IMG_20140904_190729.jpg

That sucks. Clean it up and use it then you'll have a spare.

I wasn't planning on having a spare. I was completely happy sending it back but hey.... a bad situation worked out well for me

From what I know (not as much as a lot of others) but polishing the exhaust to increase flow is OK, but on the intake side polishing reduces the air/fuel mixing and can result in decreased performance. However, removing imperfections s/b fine.

A polished surface can mess with shear when a suspended solution of liquid moves over it at velocity. It can cause some of the oil to precipitate out of the solution before it even enters the chassis. Shear is what helps create the boundary layer on the top of the piston.

Latest posts

Back