stihl 044 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have cleaned dozens of jugs worse than that one. Its just plain foolish to put an aftermarket jug (meteor or otherwise) in place of that OEM.
My thoughts exactly.
Take some time and work on that jug. You'll be glad you did. Clean it up and get a good piston and run the snot out of it! ;)

OK you guys convinced me. I'll try to clean it and I'll post pics later on today

I'll put some faith into yas. I do really want to keep oem as much possible

Be sure to check out masterminds thread that was already posted. And be careful around the ports, you can easily sand through the plating in those areas.

The magic of the 10 mm 044 is the original cylinder. From the posts I've seen, none of the aftermarket cylinders will match it, and none of the am cylinders are consistent, you get some good ones and some not so good. However, some of the am pistons are very good.

That is why most posters are recommending using the OEM cylinder if at all possible.

Also, as low volt eluded, a HD-2 air filter and dp muff cover will really help to wake these saws up, they just seem to respond to that very well.

Best of luck with your project, I really like those saws.

Hmmm my 440 with an aftermarket jug makes my 10mm 044 look like an 036 for power ,did i get a good one somehow ?:cool:

BTW... I resurrected an 044 cylinder far worse than that using a Meteor piston. Don't take the advice of anyone in a mechanical shop on this unless they have good experience with two strokes. My father-in-law has 50 years experience as a diesel/heavy equip/automobile mechanic and he doesn't know a damn thing about chainsaws. He was horrified (and then amazed) the first time I took the Foredom and sandpaper to a cylinder.

10mm vs. 12mm threads usually turn out like oil threads. I've had both on the bench at the same time and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two in a log.

You are absolutely correct....this thread should not go that route. I believe the intent(at least in my eyes) is that the OPs $100 for an aftermarket cylinder would be better utilized for a DP muffler, HD air filter and an aluminum skid plate on the bottom to keep the tank from leaking and the handle breaking. I know it is entirely possible to get good aftermarket cylinders....but just to save you a couple hours with muratic acid and Q tips or 20 min with a Foredom and sanding wheel ? My Foredom was the best $60 investment I have made in a long time. Well, the Stihl seal puller comes pretty close ! I am sure a lot of people would say "you spent how much for a seal puller?"

Looks like it. Thanks for convincing me to do it. There's only one spot on exhaust side I can't seem to get out. It worries me a little but I'll try it anyways

Looks like it. Thanks for convincing me to do it. There's only one spot on exhaust side I can't seem to get out. It worries me a little but I'll try it anyways

If you can't feel it with a finger nail you'll be fine.

The problem is I can just,just,just feel it with my finger nail. Not the spot just under the exhaust but the spot to the right of the exhaust. I'm gonna try it and see. Should be ok

Latest posts

Back