stihl 090 av is it still viable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dose any one use 090 stihls any more? I wave always wanted one. I have an 088 now for the really big trees. I do alot of take downs in old towns, farmyards, and residential areas, where the trees are 5to 8 feet in diameter. Now my 088 works great but I just want the opinion from some of the guys that have used both. Are the 090's better, or they to old?

The 090 is one of those saws to have if you want pure, outright grunt. A MS-880 will easily outcut an 090 in medium wood. However, if you're saw-milling or running out big wood, the 090 rules.

The 090`s just plain out rock, I agree with what Jacob said 100%, they are heavy old beasts but for pure outright torque they are hard to beat. Like comparing a Shetland pony to a Clysdale.
Pioneerguy600

My stihl dealer is a prety good guy he gave me a very late model 090 av in a box that he sold to a guy that thought he wanted a big saw . He took it out and dropped a tree on it the first day. The only reason that it is salvageable is because baileys sells so many cheep replacement parts. The only part I cant get from them is the av handle. The stihl dealers up here in canada are dropping all the 090 parts. Do the US stihl dealers still cary these parts? My dealer just got back from a training session at stihl and they told him that they just scrapped three new 090 crank cases, they are trying to save the world 3 saws at a time. I have friends in belize and I know that they have brand new 090's at the dealer there in orange walk town. What would happen if I tried to bring one home with me the next time I went there?

My stihl dealer is a prety good guy he gave me a very late model 090 av in a box that he sold to a guy that thought he wanted a big saw . He took it out and dropped a tree on it the first day. The only reason that it is salvageable is because baileys sells so many cheep replacement parts. The only part I cant get from them is the av handle. The stihl dealers up here in canada are dropping all the 090 parts. Do the US stihl dealers still cary these parts? My dealer just got back from a training session at stihl and they told him that they just scrapped three new 090 crank cases, they are trying to save the world 3 saws at a time. I have friends in belize and I know that they have brand new 090's at the dealer there in orange walk town. What would happen if I tried to bring one home with me the next time I went there?

From Brazil?
But from Mexico, they have to be absent of any starter mechanism, and fuel(s). So to bring one on a plane? Well you might not get it back. I would almost disassemble it, so it looks like parts.

As for the utilitarian part of a 090AV, I would say stay with the 088, 880's.(3120's) That way if you are dependent on the saw, you can still readily get parts.

I had one,regret to this day selling it,but sold it for what I bought it for.I bought from Procut Mills in Canada when Allen sold them.Ten years ago I bought it for $1050 w/36" bar and ended up getting 2 bar from a mishaps with US Postal Service.I started modding it like the 090 Art Martin's friend had,salmon belly, 10 cu. i.).I had up the timing and lightened the flywheel up,no 10 cubes though.I had that company who makes bars on the west coast make me a 28" salmon belly bar w/ roller tip.It would scream that's for sure:D.I put back to stock when I sold it though.I still have my Contra/Lighting though,it needs some paint though.An,yes there has been some good deals on fleabay.I seen a 090 go for less than $450 the other day.Seen a new in box 070 w/ 32" bar go for over $1200.There are deals out there.If I could only get my father-n-law to bring one back from Germany when he goes over there I would be set,again:D

The 090 cost a lot more than the 880 (the only place that I know of) where they both are offered - and I sure would take the 880 over a new 090.

I have been wanting one for a while now. I have no need for an 090, but who cares :laugh:. What market does Stihl sell an 090 under Saw Troll? I missed it on their home site, and didnt see it on Mexico's either.
Post it up if you can, thanks.

They have them in Mexico.
The two guys that run my splitters in the summer visit there families and they can get them for $1750. The problem is customs.

Apparently Australian dealers can sell them into the Pacific, Papua New Guinea, etc, but we can't have them here...

A mate/neighbour has one, he calls my Makita DCS7900 "the little saw" :laugh:

[edit]When he was cutting timber for a living, they had a portable mill in the hills and their 'little saw' was an 056 Mag.

Last edited:
They have them in Mexico.
The two guys that run my splitters in the summer visit there families and they can get them for $1750. The problem is customs.
Or somebody not stealing them in the mail. When the 090 was discontinued in 1983 or so in the U.S., it was about 1750.00. When they were discontinued in Canada about 2005, they were around 1200.00.
Gypo

You only have to dismantle them a little to be allowed to bring them in as parts saws.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry--ive said the same thing on this forum before--but--who you going to get to buy them--pull a bit apart--and send over here---REASONABLE??????--if this was able to be done--bet could sell bunches of them--if the price wasnt crazy--course--might have to stay under the radar--i thought--i had a mexican connection--failed!!!

Back