Stihl 090 on ebay - opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoss, I went through all 12 pages of that thread and don't see any posts by you - did you change your name? Many of the photos don't appear for me....

I checked it too and couldn't bring up the pics either. Try the "Thall and Hoss out cutting today" thread there a few pics initiallythen they start back up about page 13. I just checked it out and all pics came up.

This saw didn't make reserve a week or two ago adn is now relisted. It's the one that's been completely taken apart, sandblasted and repainted by another journeyman.

he says it has 175 PSI cold and 170 hot.

Here is a video of him cutting a big doug fir with it....looks like it starts, runs and idles well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYunJQ-gKM

So now what do you think?

I really appreciate you guys indulging me and helping me find/buy a good 090! Thanks so much!

There is a lot of opinions on comp psi and you now what the say about opinions. To cut to the chase if a used saw has 135psi it is good. I could send you a saw with 175 psi but you would not like the way she looks inside.

Bill

what will it look like inside?

Also, say you get a saw with inadequate compression - how much would it cost to rebuild it with new piston, cylinder, rings, etc?

Last edited:
he says it has 175 PSI cold and 170 hot.

Here is a video of him cutting a big doug fir with it....looks like it starts, runs and idles well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYunJQ-gKM

So now what do you think?

Thanks so much!

Thats more like it!!!!!!! Is what I'm thinking,,,,,,

JMHO,,,,, when they get below 150 as far as Im concerned,,, its the beginning of the END!!!!!! Its not gonna be long,,,for rings and or piston time!!!!!

I would rather buy a little less cosmetically good looking saw that has good internals/compression that I can rely on,,,,,, you can always find time to spruce it up!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!

well, I got a compression tester tonight, and Hoss is right - on my 660 the decompression valve/release is pushed in and it's only 140 - pretty much a new saw. (I can't get it out because I "winterized" the saw [drained fuel and ran it till it stalled] and I don't ahve any more fuel mixed!)

My 880 was 160 PSI and I think it would be higher if I pulled higher.

This site is GREAT for learning new stuff!

The guy with the supposedly original paint saw is trying to make a video. I asked him to make sure about teh decompression valve.

Scott

what will it look like inside?

Also, say you get a saw with inadequate compression - how much would it cost to rebuild it with new piston, cylinder, rings, etc?

A used saw can have 175psi and be badly scored. I can be a good runner at 135psi and no scoring. I can post some pics.

Bill

Is THIS 090 worth $1000

I know it's worth what I'm willing to pay for it to me, but it's globally worth what everyone on average is willing to pay for it.....so I'm interested in others' opinions...

Compressions is stated to be 170-180. Piston is smooth without scoring or scratches. Everything works, but there are no felling spikes, which I could get for about $60 on e-bay.

090-1.jpg

090-2.jpg

090-3.jpg

090-4.jpg

Opinions much appreciated!

I paid about $700 for mine in similar condition - but they don't come up that often in the UK. This seems to be about the going rate.

You do get some cheap big saws over here - try a good looking Contra for $128:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....5982&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

I was watching this one, but I have just bought another 070 for $230, so I really don't have the time at the moment.

My view? I'd rather pay less for a tatty one, and put a new piston and jug on it if necessary. Those are the expensive bits.

If (and this is a big if) the compression is that good without any scoring or fluid in the cylinder, then who cares about the spikes take it and run. Also you can get the spikes new aftermarket from baileys almost as cheap as ebay. They are not a critical component so I don't think going aftermarket should matter. Be careful, if compression is that high and you forget the decomp on a saw this big it will be a painful learning experience unless it starts on the first pull (not likely) every time.

I think the decision will ultimately come down to you. Everyone will have a opinion about a saw. Buy it only if you feel comfortable spending the money and trust the seller. If you don't feel comfortable bidding on one now, just do some research here using the search button and then you will have a better feeling about what to look for and what you want. Hope that helps.

Lastly, where abouts in Ohio are you located? I would love to stop by and try out that 880:greenchainsaw:.

Hey, man - I'm in Columbus now, but I do most of my cutting in Alliance at my folks' place! Not far from Mantua. In fact, in college in like 1993 I worked at Hattie Laurlham Foundation!

What's your e-mail, and I'll let you know next time I'm up that way...

PS - just ordered a 21" bar for it....now that should be a screamer!

I bought the 090

The one pictured above. $1000. Starts first pull. Decent shape. I'm going to try to find a parts saw, and replace some of the stuff that's a little rough, like the 3 broken fins on the starter cage.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR GOOD ADVICE ON THIS SAW!

PS - should aStihl ES 880 bar fit this saw? Both are .404, but the 880 bar didn't line up when I tried to install...

Hey, man - I'm in Columbus now, but I do most of my cutting in Alliance at my folks' place! Not far from Mantua. In fact, in college in like 1993 I worked at Hattie Laurlham Foundation!

What's your e-mail, and I'll let you know next time I'm up that way...

PS - just ordered a 21" bar for it....now that should be a screamer!

Hey, I go to school at Ohio Wesleyan in Delaware, so I am not too far from columbus either. Alliance is probably about 45 minutes from Mantua. Hattie Laurlham, still there and kicking, I have a few buddies that have worked there before. Small world thing going on here.:dizzy:

Give me a private message if you want to do some cutting, I rarely ever turn down a opportunity to get out and run some saws.

The one pictured above. $1000. Starts first pull. Decent shape. I'm going to try to find a parts saw, and replace some of the stuff that's a little rough, like the 3 broken fins on the starter cage.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR GOOD ADVICE ON THIS SAW!

PS - should aStihl ES 880 bar fit this saw? Both are .404, but the 880 bar didn't line up when I tried to install...

I assume both bars are large mount stihl bars but the difference might come down to the location for the oil. Most of my stihl bars fit everything. I know my 075 has larger bar mounts and it doesn't match up to anything else.

The 051, 075/076, 088/880, 084, 070, 090 are all the same size bar studs, but the oiler hole doesn't quite match up in every application. Nothing a dremmel can't fix. Good luck.

Back