Stihl 200 Spitting Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchellmead9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 200 started having issues so I was looking for some help. One day it started running weaker, even though all normal maintenance was always kept up with it. Now it only runs with the air filter off, even though I keep the air filter clean, and fuel spits out of the carb. Fuel also leaks through the muffler without burning. Here is what has been determined and replaced so far:

Great Spark; new plug anyway,
155 compression,
Clean muffler screen,
New fuel line,
New fuel filter
Cleaned carb.

The weirdest part is that adjusting the high or low jet does nearly nothing. Any suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like a carb problem. There was a thread (I don't remember the title) for the MS200T and its carb problems. Realizing the adjusting the needles does nothing definitely sounds like a major carb problem. Usually the metering lever is set too high when the saw is dumping too much fuel. Not sure what you did when you cleaned it (if you put a kit in and replaced the metering lever). However, there have been quite a few threads on Carb problems with the MS200T and there was a recent thread with picture tutorial on how to fix the carb. Others will be along with much more specific help.

Yeah, it is probably going to get a new carb. I forgot to add that the intake boot is sealed tight and in good shape. It was spitting fuel and running the same way before I cleaned the carburetor though, so I was hoping this was a common occurrence that someone knew about. I cannot find the 200t carburetor thread either.

Back