Stihl 261 vs. Husky 550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS261 just isn't what a 50cc saw should be, while the 550xp is just that - not much to discuss, as they aren't really comparable, because of the large differenses in handling, bulk and weigth. :givebeer:

Yes, but isn't that what this is all about? You know, the "beating it"?

The 261 is out classed by the 550 in every way. I had a 362 and sold it, that should say enough. When it comes to 50cc and 60cc saws, Husky is on a different level. I honestly wouldn't own a 261 or 362 if it was given to me. :dizzy: Stihl fan boys get your flamethrowers ready.:laugh:

You are of course 100% right, there really was no need for this thread, as it all is pretty obvious. I wouldn't want a MS261 or 362 either. :laugh:

Had a 261xb, just bought a 261cxb and a 353 which will be monkeyed with a new top end, will be buying a 550 in the not too distant future. I wont have to worry about other peoples sharpening or whether they've been run lean. Still prefer the feel of a stihl so lets see if some extra bananas can change my mind...

Reviving a zombie thread here. Greetings from the land down under (Australia). The topic is quite relevant to me.

First let me state I'm a firewood/property maintenance guy, not a professional arborist or forestry person by any stretch. But I do what I do and have managed to accumulate a modest collection of saws over the past decade or so. I'm an addict. So sue me.

For a range of reasons I closed the deal last week on a brand new Husqvarna 550XP. I can't say I needed it given I had bought a MS261C-M last year. But the price was a good deal less than what I paid for the Stihl. What got me interested was that I'd done a course in chainsaws at a vocational education college which uses all Huskys. After a day out in the woods it sort of got me interested in "the competition" so to speak. Buying sight unseen with no dealer support felt a bit of a risk as it came in a box from the other side of the world via eBay, but early indications are good. I put it together, put gas and oil and it fired up straight away, no issues. Off for some cutting! I tested it on some large pine logs and it just tore through like butter. Next week I will do a side by side comparison on a eucalyptus that I have to cut down and I will be all the better informed, at least on short term performance. NB both have 16" bars and .325 pitch so it's a fair comp.

I have to say as much as I was happy with the 261 when I got it last year, this new 550XP really has grabbed my attention. Somehow it doesn't give the impression of being as robust as a Stihl but that may be perception. And whilst I can't say I love outboard clutches, I have an old 032AV and a 201TC-M so it's not an entirely new thing to me.

Anyway I will probably run both for sometime then offload one of them once I come to my senses and find a clear preference. Or I might just keep both for giggles. I guess I think as I have no vested interest here either way and feel like I can be objective about plusses and minuses. In any case, may the best tool win!

Welcome aboard deluxetwelve, I also bought a 550xp a couple of years ago off the bay from the US. It was exactly half the price of what they cost here. So don't blame ou for going down that path. A couple of things to mention; there are two versions of 261cm the newest (v2) is lighter and more powerful that than v1. From memory it's been out for about 6 - 12 months. My 550 took about 10 tanks of fuel to fully wake up and the difference between tank 1 & 10 is pretty significant.
Also for Aussie conditions part of your testing will have include a tank of fuel through both saws cutting dry hardwood then taking the air filter off and checking how much dust has gotten past the air filter. I'm not impressed with my 550 in that regard.

Welcome aboard deluxetwelve, I also bought a 550xp a couple of years ago off the bay from the US. It was exactly half the price of what they cost here. So don't blame ou for going down that path. A couple of things to mention; there are two versions of 261cm the newest (v2) is lighter and more powerful that than v1. From memory it's been out for about 6 - 12 months. My 550 took about 10 tanks of fuel to fully wake up and the difference between tank 1 & 10 is pretty significant.
Also for Aussie conditions part of your testing will have include a tank of fuel through both saws cutting dry hardwood then taking the air filter off and checking how much dust has gotten past the air filter. I'm not impressed with my 550 in that regard.

Latest posts

Back