Stihl 290 or Husky 455

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 290 or Husky 455

• Total voters

scalo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Husky 350 took a dump on me and I need to replace it. The question here is should I get the Stihl 290 Farm Boss or the Husqvarna 455 Rancher? I cut a grapple load of firewood a year plus cut trees for the in-laws use.

well it appears that the overwhelming vote is for the Stihl 290 so I guess the winner has been decided and a new saw will be purchased on the way home tonight.

Between the two, I voted for the Stihl because that's the only one I have any experience with. Two of my friends have them and they've proven to be reliable firewood saws. I muffler modded one of them and it woke right up.

Ian

Ive had a 455 and it was OK but i would take the Stihl at least you can muffler mod it or fit a bigger cylinder.

Its going to be a good upgrade my 455 would outcut a 350 2 for 1 and i bet the Stihl will be better.

I am a Jred/Dolmar guy so I voted for the 455 but take a look at the 460.
But go with the best price and dealer support. The husky is smoother less vibe. I bet more firewood cutters that do not suffer from CAD use saw's that fall in the category of the 290&455, than the modded Pro Saw to cut the winters firewood lol.
What's wrong with your 350? if you do your own repairs it might be cheaper to fix it than buy a new saw.

the problem with the 350 is the mount holes for the muffler are stripped clean and the service guy said he could drill the holes out and put in a helicoil but he could not promise it would hold very well.

I would fix it. Maybe have another service tech look at it. Doesn't really sound like a difficult fix. Is it possible to drill and tap the holes for the next size larger bolt?

I would assume that anything is possible, just not sure that I want to put more money into the saw. I am looking for a 350 parts saw that I would be able to pull the cylinder and replace mine. If I can find one cheap enough it would be nice to have the 350 and 290

the problem with the 350 is the mount holes for the muffler are stripped clean and the service guy said he could drill the holes out and put in a helicoil but he could not promise it would hold very well.

A helicoil done right would work.

If that's the case just fix it and keep a regular eye on the bolts making sure they are snug. Because you are not in direct contact with the hot exhaust gases you could also even use Hi temp silicon as a thread locker as it allows for easy removal of the bolts. If your handy with tools you might be able to re tap to the next size larger bolt without the need of a Time cert or Helli coil.Just suggestions to save you a few bucks.

Thank you for the great suggestions, I plan to get the saw running again. I have only had one person look at he saw so far. I have one other person that will look at it and see what they think I should do.

a few members here have taped out the bolt holes with good results, as long as the case hasn't melted it should be a cheap fix

stihl made in virgina or a poloun with an orange jacket made in china

hmmm thats a tough one ..i vote STIHL:)

No contest - Stihl 290

Yeah, I know this thread is two years old, but I just found this place tonight.

I pieced my 290 together from three scrapped ones five years ago, and I've cut well over a hundred cord of firewood since then. The only thing I've ever had to replace - other than the occasional bar, chain, and sprocket - was the fuel line this summer. There's only one Husky I've ever used that even comes close to how my Stihl runs, and that Husky was a behemoth with a 36" bar. For being that much bigger than my Stihl, it should have cut circles around it - but it didn't.

For a small non-pro grade saw, my 290 is a serious workhorse. The only saw I've used that I'd rather own was the Stihl 460 Magnum.

Latest posts

Back