Stihl 3/8 pico vs pico mini chain for an MS170 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a homeowner with a couple of acres of woods on my lot. I've owned a Stihl 009 for decades, and recently bought a Stihl MS170 as a second saw. The original Stihl had a .050 in gage 3/8" picco chain and bar, and the new 170 has a .043 in gage pico mini chain and bar. Both came with 14 in bars. I'm thinking of buying a 16 in bar for the MS170.

As I've compared these two saws, I've noted that the 009 chain seems much more aggressive and faster cutting than the MS170. I'm attributing this to the chain, as it seems like it take a lot more down pressure to get the MS170 to cut, and it cuts slower even when the saw is at full speed. I'm assuming that there isn't much difference in power between the two saws.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Terry

How high are your rakers? Not sure it has a lot to do with the different chains. Just another perspective to look at.

As has been said I wouldn't think a second about 16 inch on a 170. I would start thinking about a bigger saw. If you don't need it regularly you can begin with a Dolmar 420/421. But to be honest you won't pick up either of your other saws again.

I want to be sure I've sharpened the pico mini chain I have to the right specs. So I was looking through the owner's manuals of My 009 and MS170 saws, and I saw what might be conflicting information in the MS170 manual.

So as best I can determine, the 3/8ths Picco chain, which has a 0.050 in gage, uses a filing angle of 35 degrees, although the 009 manual says for hardwood or frozen timber, to reduce that to 30 degrees. It also shows the depth gage setting as 0.65 mm (with a comment that it could be increased to 0.85 mm for cutting softwood in mild weather).

For the 3/8ths inch picco mini, which has the 0.043 in gage, the MS170 manual calls for a 30 degree filing angle. For the depth gage, it is not clear if they are recommending 0.45 mm or 0.65 mm depth gage setting.

The confusion is that in some places I've heard terminology of "picco micro mini" which I've assumed matches a .043 inch gage chain type of PMM or PMMC3. Elsewhere I read references to PMN, which some people call "picco micro narrow." I don't know if this is different terminology for the same chain type, or two chain types.

Related to that, in my MS170 saw manual, it refers to 3/8 PMN having a depth gage setting of 0.45 mm, and both a 3/8th PM and PMMC3 as each having 0.65 mm depth gage. So if PMN and PMMC3 are both describing picco micro mini, which of these two depth settings are correct?

Thanks for any help in interpreting Stihl-speak.

Terry Quinn

I think it has been on here that Stihl has changed their number and letter system over time.

If you would have followed my advice all the way and bought two new chains the most current specs are on a paper insert inside the package. I don't see the details you seek on the container I have in front of me. there is a, b, c, d, e to tune it up right. a is 30 degrees for all the picco except ripping.They have refused to sell me ripping picco or told me it isn't available just modify the chisel super one. You didn't ask about the b, and c values but they are the same for all the semi chisel, mirco chisel which is what you are dealing with. D is .025 the rakers but I really don't mess with that, maybe way at the end of the lifespan of the chain and it is used up shortly after that. E is the file diameter 5/32. The tricky thing is to keep something like one fifth of the file above the top plate or the dimension b gets wrong and inconsistent.

I have broken off teeth mostly on the Oregon .043 one with the bumper tie straps but don't seem to have bent any. Only once something didn't go as planned and I ruined about half a foot of chain which was immediately obvious.

Fran

Speaking of "stihl-speak" can we eschew that sort of surplusage? (from Sam Clemens)
Who benefits from that? Besides Waiblingen?

"Picco" "micro", what ghetto we talking?

How 'bout appending LP or NK to the pitch & gauge as applicable, and speak to all of us? Unless, of course, you insist on cutesy.

Yeah, keep it sharp, with .025" on the depth gauges. (These chains, unlike scratcher chains, do not have rakers. Long gone since chipper chain.)

I just bought the Stihl Chainsaw head to fit on my trimmer, I will put the Oregon chain/bar on it, the 91vxl, and not look back, as I will not have to keep replacing chains that have bent or broken cutters.......

It is just me, I guess, I hate wasting money, and will not give anyone bogus advice....

Just me....

Yeah, keep it sharp, with .025" on the depth gauges. (These chains, unlike scratcher chains, do not have rakers. Long gone since chipper chain.)

You seem to be right the manual calls them depth gauges. The manual also converts 0.065mm to twenty six thousands and the sheet they put in the chain container converts it to twenty five.

The WT215 carb is a good carb and will add some extra power to your MS170 but if you really want to crank some power out of it, do a muffler mod on it and sometimes you can find a big bore carb on EBay for sale. The big bore carbs on them don't have chokes on them so they are straight bored all the way through to the throttle body. They are real good and the gas goes through them good.

The WT215 carb is a good carb and will add some extra power to your MS170 but if you really want to crank some power out of it, do a muffler mod on it and sometimes you can find a big bore carb on EBay for sale. The big bore carbs on them don't have chokes on them so they are straight bored all the way through to the throttle body. They are real good and the gas goes through them good.

Ummm. Big bore 170? Just buy a 260.

Stihl MS 192 C-E using PMM3 only

According to Stihl, the recommended chain for the MS 170/171/181/192 is only the PMM3 (Picco Micro Mini 3), nothing larger at all.
For the 44 link chain that fits on a 30 cm bar, it's the #3610 000 0044. The chain pitch here is 3/8"P and the gauge is 43 mil (1.1 mm).

Having used our MS 192 C-E for two years now, we're on the chain number three, and we are only considering running the PMM3 chain. We simply just would had bought the very wrong saw, if considering moving up to the larger PM3, PS or PS3 cahin types for these smaller saws. We had a need for a small, light and agile saw, and that original requirement hasn't changed a bit at all.

It's essential to keep these small chains very sharp, so frequent sharpening is definitely a must. Your sharpening skills comes with the necessary practise! You'll notice how fast the metal vanishes though, due to all the needed sharpening, and in the end of the chains life, the teeth are so short, they easily break off, if you aren't careful with maneuvering the saw during the cutting.

And yes, the rakers measure is 0.65mm for the PMM3, I suppose the previous 0.45mm is an obsolete figure for an older chain type.

View attachment 300818

According to Stihl, the recommended chain for the MS 170/171/181/192 is only the PMM3 (Picco Micro Mini 3), nothing larger at all.
For the 44 link chain that fits on a 30 cm bar, it's the #3610 000 0044. The chain pitch here is 3/8"P and the gauge is 43 mil (1.1 mm).

View attachment 300818

But why is that? Could that be the nose of the bar is smaller in diameter on the 0.043, the chain cuts smoother hence safer? I will give Stihl credit on the picco bars in the 0.050 they get green rating with more teeth on the nose than brand x.

It also logically to me mean more chain sales and bar sales later on.

Probably it is more that the 0.050 is a more robust chain and capable of more power hence what is used on the more powerful saws probably heavier playing into the safety and nose diameter above. Does any brand x even put the .043 chain on a top or rear handle saw?

Your attachment is suspect as to the only recommended chain for those models as the manual for the 251 clearly show a choice of 0.050 picco (four kinds, micro, duro, super, rip) and .063 gauge 0.325 which I don't know off hand the various choices of that.

Fran

View attachment 300818

On the specifications page in my owners manual for the MS 170, 180, it describes engine displacement and other engine specs for those two saws, and all other specs for them including weights for both saws. In the guide bar and Oilmatic chains sections, it lists both "Picco Micro Mini with 0.04 inch groove width, and Pico Micro with 0.05 in groove width.

Terry

On the specifications page in my owners manual for the MS 170, 180, it describes engine displacement and other engine specs for those two saws, and all other specs for them including weights for both saws. In the guide bar and Oilmatic chains sections, it lists both "Picco Micro Mini with 0.04 inch groove width, and Pico Micro with 0.05 in groove width.

Terry

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/...s/ms-170-180-chain-saw-instruction-manual.pdf

If you look again it says recomended cutting attachment and it is 0.043 for the 170 and 0.050 for the 180. page 50 and 51 (not pdf page)

Here is the manual for the 250 among others.

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/...-210-230-250-chain-saw-instruction-manual.pdf

You see under cutting attachment it lists two choices for the 250. Page 60.

Stihl really marches to a different drummer so to speak with their business model in my opinion.

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/...s/ms-170-180-chain-saw-instruction-manual.pdf

If you look again it says recomended cutting attachment and it is 0.043 for the 170 and 0.050 for the 180. page 50 and 51 (not pdf page)

In the manual that came with my MS170 saw (purchased May 2010) is shows both bar/chain combinations available for both saws.

Click this image to blow it up: View attachment 300929

It sort of makes sense to have the smaller chain on the smaller displacement saw. Not knowing which owner's manual is newer, either Stihl started out more conservatively for the MS170, and opened it up to the Picco .050 later, or vice versa.

And here is another link on this site with more debate about .043 vs .050 picco. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/57502.htm

One other thing I noticed is that in my manual, they say nothing about a 16 inch bar, but they are shipping Stihl MS170s to the local Big R store with 16 inch .043 inch gage bars on them. One old Stihl Bar and Chain info sheet that came from a new chain box shows an MS170 being able to handle a 12 or 14 inch bar with picco .050 inch chain, or a 12, 14, or 16 inch bar with the .043 picco mini.

If nothing else, Stihl varies all over the place with their specifications, depending on which Stihl document you pick up.

I'll let you know what my results are after I run the MS170 with both .043 and .050 chain/bar combinations at 14 inch length. From that I'll decide what to do if I want to go to the 16 inch bar.

Terry

Last edited:
Not sure if it's area specific, but MS170's have left the dealer with 16" .050 Picco chains and bars installed. I bought mine new about two years ago with that combo installed, and the Stihl sticker on the chain brake/hand guard does include this bar/chain combo for the saw...

I think you guys are focusing too much on specs. If it fits, it fits. If someone on here is running a certain b/c combo, you know it'll fit.

Not sure if it's area specific, but MS170's have left the dealer with 16" .050 Picco chains and bars installed. I bought mine new about two years ago with that combo installed, and the Stihl sticker on the chain brake/hand guard does include this bar/chain combo for the saw...

Dear Casual,

That is the direction I'm leaning. Have you had any good or bad experiences with that combination?

From reading comments on this site, there seem to be varying opinions about .043 vs .050 Picco, especially on an MS170 and with a 16 in bar. Some people prefer the 0.050 chain and bar for its ruggedness, and I've already experienced issues along that line with my .043 equipped MS170, that I never experienced with my .050 equipped Stihl 009. Others suggest that an MS170 will be overworked with a 16 in bar and .050 chain.

Your firsthand experience with a .050 Picco and 16 inch bar on an MS170 would be very valuable.

Thank you in advance,

Terry

Terry, for me the combination works fine. It is, after all, mainly a limbing saw. A couple of inches more reach with a sturdy Made in Germany Rollomatic E suits my needs. Not to mention more chain options in .050 Picco...

Of course, I will probably never bury this bar fully into timber, but I probably wouldn't bury even a 14" bar with this saw... It's just not what they're meant to do. For serious logging, the MS 170 just isn't what the doctor ordered.

Get the 16" Rollomatic E .050. It's durable, has less of the "anti-kickback" radius of the front sprocket (read: larger bar sprocket), and with a good chain will make for a good, long lasting cutter.

Keep in mind that I'm not all about the quick cuts... As a casual cutter, sometimes I just like to stop and smell the fumes:msp_biggrin:

One of my customers I even equipped the saw with a 14" .050 hardnose bar, and he absolutely loves it.

Yes, a year or two ago Stihl started selling the saws with a 16" .043 ga. setup, to stand up next to the little Huskies.

Latest posts

Back